Need help with Cinti Oh and HamCo Oh freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

safety265

Hello. I have downloaded Cinti Oh Fire Dept. and Hamilton County Fire Dept. 800 freqs into my GRE600 mobile radio using WIN500. I am not receiving any calls at all on either group of freqs. They are both P25 systems. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nasby

Very likely that you are having simulcast distortion issues.
If you do a search on simulcast distortion (in the search window at the top right) you will find details and possible fixes.
Good luck!

safety265

I only "tune in" to CFD and HamCo FD when I am going thru those areas in my van. I have an antenna on the roof recommended by MobileComm tech for the range low, high vhf, uhf 800 mhz. Any advice appreciated.

Coderunner

Simulcast is definitely an issue in that area with just about any scanner that isn't an SDS 100 or 200. I have a BCD325P2 and most traffic is very choppy. I had my 325 on while driving through 4th and Main St the other day and radio traffic from CFD was coming in ok but not great, still a bit choppy. I live in Anderson Township and although I have great signal strength, I am not getting clear or complete transmissions if at all. The good news is that a good old analog scanner can be used with Hamilton County and neighboring Clermont Co along with Northern KY. You won't be able to hear Cincinnati Fire or the City of Norwood at all but you can certainly hear tons of FD's dispatched for numerous counties and townships on conventional. From my home on the eastern side, I'm reaching Middletown Fire with my BC125AT analog scanner loud and clear. I am doing my homework on the SDS100 while they are on national backorder, as it is a pricey desire.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I only "tune in" to CFD and HamCo FD when I am going thru those areas in my van. I have an antenna on the roof recommended by MobileComm tech for the range low, high vhf, uhf 800 mhz. Any advice appreciated.

As others have noted, you're most likely having issues with simulcast reception. The problem is that you're getting signals from two or more towers in the simulcast site at the same time, and the scanner can't decide which one to listen to. So, you have to reduce the amount of signal you're getting in order to end up receiving only one tower in the simulcast site.

Start by turning on the attenuator for that system. If that doesn't do it try disconnecting the outside antenna and using the telescoping metal stick antenna that came with the scanner, or something similar. If that doesn't work, try a paper clip (seriously).

Since you're mobile you have limited ways to get around the problem; at home or in the office you can try all of the above and more, as well as moving the radio around to find the "sweet spot" where reception works.

Status
Not open for further replies.