need programming cable and software for Pro-76

Status
Not open for further replies.

whistlrr

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
I have dug out my old Pro-76 and would really like to use Radio Reference to program it, but I need a cable for it and some advice.
I am in Kalamazoo Michigan, so I know this scanner won't be able to pick up the Michigan p25 police system, and from what I can tell, I don't think the PRO-76 does any trunking either.

Nonetheless, I would still like to use a cable and this site to try to program it with my Windows 10 PC for whatever else I can still hear with it. (I live very near to non-police sites that use conventional frequencies -- but this looks like its going to be a real bear to try to program manually).

The manual makes just one comment that it can be programmed with a PC, but gives no other information and I know it never came with any such cable or software in the box when it was new.

Even though I've had this scanner stuffed in a closet for 20 years, I am a newbie with a renewed interest in it and would really appreciate any help finding a programming cable and software for it.

As an aside,
When I just couldn't find this scanner anywhere after a week of hunting for it, I gave up and ordered a new Whistler WS1040 on what seemed like a good deal for $250 from Amazon. That scanner is still on its way to me (after Radio Reference indicated this particular scanner will work with my area).

Hopefully that model will be easier to work with (and if not I'll be back asking after it too), but since I finally found the PRO-76 (of course only when I gave up and quit looking for it and the very next day after ordering the whistler), I'd still very like to use both scanners.

Thank you in advance for any help.

tvengr

Well Known Member
For the WS1040, you will need programming software. You have a choice of ARC500, Win500, or PSREdit500. I use Butel ARC500 Basic which is all you need to program the scanner. The Pro version has additional logging functions. There have been problems with members getting keys for Win500. All three have a free trial period to determine which one you like best.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The 76 is so old that we don't have anything in our wiki for it. The only thing that appears to support it would be Scancat Lite Plus - and I hesitate to even recommend it as it has been known to royally screw up scanners. And as for the cable - I think you will need a cable like the old RS RS-20-047 or 20-546. This *might* work, and as the scanner is so old, it would likely need to use the pigtail it comes with (many older RS scanners needed it)....

Mike

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Here is an ebay listing for the 20-048 cable and software to program the PRO-76.
The software will not run on Windows 10 as far as I can recall. May not run on Windows 7 either. A computer with a serial port would be needed. USB to serial converters may not work if the comport assigned by the computer is not COM1 or COM2. The software would not automatically load data from Radio Reference but with only frequency, delay, and lockout entries, it would be easy to create files by hand if the software could be made to run.

The document for the 20-047 cable Mike mentioned does not list the PRO-76 as a supported radio.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I did say that it might work; it does list the PRO-79 as compatible , so that's close. And with these older scanners that's all you likely need (it has been that way in the past). And this says that the otherwise crummy software is Win10 compatible;

Mike

wtp

Note: The necessary cable and software, and additional information about using your personal computer to program your scanner, are available at your local RadioShack store.
from that manual, it might be a bit harder now...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Quite true. In point of fact, most of the real old RS scanners used exactly the same cable - sometimes with, sometimes without - the pigtail. It goes back a very long way....Mike

whistlrr

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone for all of your input.

I'm wondering, since I'll already have these for the WS1040, if I first attempt to use the cord that is coming with the WS1040, and use the ARC500 software, with the PRO-76, what do you suppose might happen?

If this isn't correct and nothing happens, then I figure no harm no foul and I can gradually proceed to try some of the other suggestions (other cords and other software).

I do know how to reset the PRO-76 (at least that part was clearly stated in the manual) by holding the two specific number keys while turning it off and back on, and I have successfully done that once already.

If its wrong, is there a great risk I'll brick the scanner? (having never programmed a scanner with software and a cord before, I don't know the risks)

Again, I really appreciate the helpfulness here. Radio Reference is a great site and forum.

As another aside, my username of 'whistlrr' was actually inspired years ago as I looked around and spied an item I owned at the time (a Whistler battery).

Last edited:

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
According to the Scancat web site, radios that use the headphone jack for the data input connection like the PRO-76 does must use the 20-048 cable. Looking at the schematic for the PRO-76, I agree with this. The wrong cable might end up connecting to the audio output chip which has the possibility of damaging the audio chip or the serial port. Trying the wrong cable is quite pointless here.

Attached is a drawing showing how to make a simple cable yourself. It uses a serial connector, an audio plug, and two wires. That's it.

Additionally attached is the program Prolink which can program the PRO-76. It did run on my Windows 10 computer without errors. Monitoring the serial output of a USB to serial adapter, Prolink did send data on the TX serial pin as appropriate when uploading. I don't have a scanner of this type to verify programming, but Prolink appears to work.

Attachments

• datacable-gre1.pdf
    26.6 KB · Views: 14
  • pl026aww.zip
    41 KB · Views: 11

bob550

Premium Subscriber
When/if cable shopping, steer clear of any older ones with the Prolific chipset. Later Windows OS's tend not to like this chipset, and prefer the FTDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.