Need some suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to Amateur Radio / scanning , I currently have a old Radioshack pro 95 that I like to listen to local HAM repeaters and the LADD channels while driving, I've got a Dual Band 4 foot antenna mounted on my truck that is meant for 2 way operation but works well for scanning. I have loved listening to RCMP , STARS and Edmonton Police but I realize that soon I will not be able to listen to these transmissions due to going fully encrypted digital .

I want to upgrade to either a Dual band UHF / VHF Radio for my vehicle or a higher end scanner like the Uniden 325P2. I like the idea of having a mobile radio in my truck , especially while on holidays pulling my travel trailer around Alberta or even into BC.
I would like to be able to speak on the LADD channels if need be , as well as monitor them for traffic issues or whatever . I was looking at the Kenwood 281A radio . I can pick it up for under $200 on GPS Central.

Also, what will I realistically be able to listen to on a P25 capable scanner ? Is it really worth the $500? Is there much action on the AFRRCS channels? If I am using it to only monitor VHF Ham channels and the LADD channels, it seems like a waste .

Let me know what you guys think. I don't want to sink tons of money into this , Maybe $200 max .

Thanks

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Just a couple of points to consider. Are you just wanting to listen or talk? If wanting to talk, a license is required for all frequencies except CB [GRS in Canada], and FRS/GMRS in Canada. LADD frequencies are basically authorized for BC only with a few exceptions in northern Alberta. Plus you must be licensed to use those frequencies or have an approved radio and license with authorization from companies that are authorized to use the LADD frequencies. [At least that is how I view ISED regulations]. Although not everyone follows this. As well the Kenwood 281A is an amateur radio which, legally, can only be used on the 2 m amateur band. It can be modified but not approved for transmitting on frequencies outside the amateur band [144-148].
As for P25 capable scanner. There are also companies that utilize other digital modes [DMR, NXDN} which, again if not encrypted, can be monitored with the proper scanner. But that scanner will be more than $200 new. I can't comment on their used cost. Not to promote one manufacturer over another but an example is Uniden SDS100 which is a hand held. The SDS200 is the mobile version. Cost are $870 and $940 respectfully.
Since most interesting departments have gone encrypted, my scanning on the AFRRCS frequencies is non existent so cannot say how many are in the clear. You mention Edmonton so suggest looking at Threads here that mention what is currently scannable in your area. Certainly in Calgary, only some out lying Fire Departments [and Calgary Fire Department] are still open. Most of my listening today is to Airport and Amateur radio.

I think I will be leaning more towards just scanning. I like the portability of a handheld scanner rather than a mobile dash mounted two-way .
I would like to find a used Radioshack Pro 106 or something equivalent. If my Pro 95 quits on me , I would probably end up with a Uniden 125AT.

Thanks for the info .

Status
Not open for further replies.