Nepa

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckiep

Hi was looking for a scanner info for the Luzerne & Lackawanna counties in Pa.,I was wondering are these area's digital or analog and any recomendations on a scanner .Thanks
Chuck

captclint

Mentor
Hi was looking for a scanner info for the Luzerne & Lackawanna counties in Pa.,I was wondering are these area's digital or analog and any recomendations on a scanner .Thanks
Chuck
Welcome to RR. See my answer here: http://forums.radioreference.com/new-user-getting-started-forum/230584-nepa-help.html#post1681937

So all you really need is an analog scanner. It does not even have to be trunking. You didn't say whether you wanted portable or base. I prefer Uniden 346XT for all the features, including tone-out search. GRE makes very sensitive (hear distance signals better) scanners, but they overload in proximity to Cell, page, Radio, TV, and other Public Safety towers. If you live in Wilkes-Barre, or Scranton, probably Uniden would be better. If you live in the Burbs, you might find GRE OK.

Last edited:

chuckiep

Thanks Radio shack had the pro 164 on sale for 150.00 now comes the fun part of adding the freq.

mikeypizano

Hello, I am Chucks son, and I was wondering if the freqs listed on the Luzerne county page are correct. I cannot find anything on them. Am I doing something wrong? Also, I am particularly interested in the airport ones, as well as the railroad ones.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I am Chucks son, and I was wondering if the freqs listed on the Luzerne county page are correct. I cannot find anything on them. Am I doing something wrong? Also, I am particularly interested in the airport ones, as well as the railroad ones.

Yes they should all be accurate. I'm not sure where you are or what kind of antenna you're using, but try 157.4500 and see if you hear anything. That's a pretty active frequency in Luz Co. Mybe try the weather freq 162.5500 and see how you do. It's possible that your combination of antenna and location may limit what you can and can't hear.

Picking up the AVP airport really depends on your location as do railroads. You need to either be close or have a pretty decent outdoor antenna for both.

mikeypizano

I am in Yatesville. I can get the weather stations. I am using the Pro164 scanner with just the antenna it comes with, so maybe I will need to try using a bigger antenna. I am not far from the airport at all, maybe 2 miles or so. I will try 157.4500 and see if I get anything

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
If you're 2-miles away you should hear AVP even with the stock antenna. Do you hear anything at the airport on 124.5000? Have you tried it outside? I'm not familiar with the Pro 164, but even with the stock antenna ou should hear something. An outside or better antenna will always do much better. I'm about 25-miles from AVP and I pick up everything but the local ground freqs.

mikeypizano

I am trying 124.5000 and not getting anything. I didn't try outside yet, so I will have to try that. I don't get anything on 157.4500 either. I seem to get stuff at random.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Update: Got something on 157.4500!

Again I'm not familiar with your scanner, but many times the stock antenna are not so hot. If you cen get an outdoor antenna, you'll hear quite a bit more. Even one in the attic will do a lot better. Of course that implies you have some ability to setup the antenna, mount, coax...

If you do decide to do it...search/reasearch on Radio Reference so you pick a good antenna for the frequency ranges you like, good coax and a safe mounting place.

Many people find a big difference just using an outdoor or mobile antenna in the house or in the attic, in fact I run a radio shack 20-176 in the attic with RG-6 Coax just for thunder storm season. I also run two outdoor antenna with good coax for the normal listening...and they do much better than the attc antenna.

How strong was the signal you did receive?> What else are you able to hear?

mikeypizano

I got a few things on 124.5000 today. I heard "heading 134" but the signal had a lot of static. My radio is a mobile one, so I would like to get a better antenna that goes on the radio instead of running wires and such.

The signal on 157.4500 was very clear though, and I am in the same spot as I was when I heard the stuff on 124.5000 as well.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of good/better antenna for mobile use. I can;t recell the model now, but I have one I use when we travel. Otherwise my radios (and the mobile radio) are connected to an outdoor antenna. They just work so much better I never went back.

If you go on the Radio Reference Live AUdio link above and tune into the streams from Luzerne Co while your radio is on, you'll get some idea of what you may not be hearing. Keep in mind there is a delay on the feeds.

mikeypizano

There are a lot of good/better antenna for mobile use. I can;t recell the model now, but I have one I use when we travel. Otherwise my radios (and the mobile radio) are connected to an outdoor antenna. They just work so much better I never went back.

If you go on the Radio Reference Live AUdio link above and tune into the streams from Luzerne Co while your radio is on, you'll get some idea of what you may not be hearing. Keep in mind there is a delay on the feeds.

I do have an application on my Android tablet so I have listened to the Wilkes Barre zone B feed before.

Status
Not open for further replies.