New CHP Extender Channel Assignments

officer_415

Database Admin
It sounds like all of the EV-20 extenders use EE6 for voice, regardless of frequency.

Has anyone seen a NAC other than EE6?

nokones

Premium Subscriber
CHP has begun rolling out vehicles with a new radio/lighting/computer system called EV-20. These vehicles will gradually replace the older vehicles, which are equipped with a system called CPVE. The 700 MHz extenders associated with the EV-20 system are using the same VRS channels 1-16 as the older CPVE extenders, but they are using a new NAC lineup.

For each area office, the CPVE extenders will use the "primary" extender frequency listed in the database. For most areas (but not all), the EV-20 extenders will probably be using the "alternate" extender frequency listed in the the database, but with a different NAC. For my local area office, I also noted one NAC for voice traffic, another NAC for a data burst which was occurring every 11 seconds, and a third NAC associated with an audible beep, possibly from the extender being activated.

I'd like to ask everyone to scan the VRS channels in NAC search mode, and report back here with your findings. Which (non-primary) extender frequency is in use for your area, and what NAC is displayed (preferably during voice traffic).

The beep is for alerting nearby VRS that a repeater was just activated and signal the other repeater to go into a delay state so only one repeater keys the respective Low-Band radio when an Officer keys the portable. If the beep is an analog tone Burst, it's an 837 Hz one second tone burst. At least that was used in the previous in-trunk VRS repeaters. I don't know how the VRS system is configured with their new system.

If my memory serves me right, the Motorcycles used a different activation tone of 1000 Hz with a different PL Tone from the portable for activating the M/C low-band radio.

Last edited:

officer_415

Database Admin
So Low band is going to be dead, or will they wait until a site dies to pull it off?

Low band isn't going anywhere. The EV-20 extenders (700 MHz) are replacing the CPVE extenders (700 MHz), which replaced the 154.905 MHz extenders. This is only for their portable radios.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Are any CHP bases using 700 band other than the Sacramento Gold channel?

officer_415

Database Admin
Are any CHP bases using 700 band other than the Sacramento Gold channel?

There are a few, but they're not always active. There is a simulcast of the Violet at the Golden Gate Bridge on 770.43125, and a simulcast of the Pink at the Bay Bridge on 770.66875. Inspection facilities should have a simulcast of the local dispatch channel on 770.19375.

Each area office is also equipped with a 700 MHz base frequency (7CHP 01 thru 12), but again they're often not active.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Both GG Pink and Violet are full-time at this point for their simulcast. Have heard them coming and going including a CW ID on the Pink.

Regards,

-Frank C.

abraham1_2

NAC is like a CTCSS tone. NAC does not equal trunking. Yes, program as conventional P25.
Okay, this is how I programed it. Let me know if anything is wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-09 075216.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-09 075216.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 45