Icom: New D-STAR handheld: Icom ID-52A/E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

IMO touch screens can be a blessing and curse at the same time. It can make a radio front panel cleaner with less buttons, but then the on-screen buttons will be small and less than ideal tactile feedback IMO. And the screen is a fingerprint magnet.

If done well a touch screen could be OK, but I think the physical size limitation of an HT means physical button bank is typically better.
I agree. The touch screens on the two Yaesu HTs are nothing to write home about.

N4DJC

There are some YouTube videos out on the 52. Not a touch screen (yay) a bit bigger than the 51 and the screen looks good. Icom Japan has a pdf brochure. Plus an iOS App will be available (yay).

N4DJC

I hoping it is available by the end of the year. My resistance was futile...I preordered one :)

K9DWB

QRT
I have gotten in the mail a catalog from HRO with the ID-52A on page 11.

Image of what I'm seeing. No price in the catalog however. HRO website still showing reserve price of $35.

Icom ID-52.jpg

N4DJC

I got the catalog a few weeks ago, my guess it may be available after the first of the year. The price won't be announced until FFC approval.

Hit_Factor

I read yesterday, that the ID-52 is going to be delayed due to difficulties in procurement of parts.

It was a site in Japan, and it didn't give any dates or time frame. The post was about 5 days ago.

The IC-705 release moved about 5 months for the same reason. If this pattern repeats, then it could be released in time for Hamvention 2021.

Hit_Factor

Why no APRS, Icom?? 🙁
My guess is Google Maps and Message have replaced the functionality completely in everyone's cell phone. As our hobby struggles to be relevant, towing along antiquated technology isn't real appealing. I would be willing to bet Icom's marketing dept has studied APRS use and decided they don't need it.

I know some hams still have fun with it, like CW, but I think it loses more operators than it attracts.

APRS favors the station with the best signal, and the best signal will rarely come from an HT.

APRS.FI shows you used APRS once in this past year. Nothing else for 3 years. The icon indicates you were using your cellphone for APRS. Did I read that data correctly?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm not saying the AKM factory fire didn't happen and I'm not saying that Icom didn't issue an apology about for the ID-52 production delay. OTOH, I can't find this allegedly official notice on the Icom America or Icom Japan websites.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Status
Not open for further replies.