Icom: New D-STAR handheld: Icom ID-52A/E

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmerjrusa

Yep, one in particular was an early adopter by buying one direct from Japan earlier this year. His in depth YouTube videos probably helped sell a lot of radios.

And I say this as a former Brit*šŸ˜

Yep, been following his videos...

*accident of birth since corrected

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@N4DJC - Please test your audio with the 52A and the D74A. Might as well test the 52A versus the 705 as well. I am more curious about digital than analog.

N4DJC

@N4DJC - Please test your audio with the 52A and the D74A. Might as well test the 52A versus the 705 as well. I am more curious about digital than analog.

It might be a while before mine shows up. I think thereā€™s already been a video testing the audio differences. The 52ā€™s Iā€™ve heard on D Star werenā€™t as ā€œfull soundingā€ as a D74. The settings can be adjusted for bass and treble and mic gain. Peopleā€™s voices are all so different, it might take some experimenting to find the best combination. The 705 mic is unusually good, considering itā€™s size.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I bought the reservation on November 15 at HRO and then bought the actual radio on November 21. I don't think i'll be among the first customers to receive it. I'm a bit nervous that the radio is already paid for. Merchants usually charge your credit card just a bit prior to sending the goods. I hope i won't have any problems with that.

N4DJC

I bought the reservation on November 15 at HRO and then bought the actual radio on November 21. I don't think i'll be among the first customers to receive it. I'm a bit nervous that the radio is already paid for. Merchants usually charge your credit card just a bit prior to sending the goods. I hope i won't have any problems with that.

It shouldn't be an issue, standard procedure for HRO. They fill backorders before showing any in stock.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
It shouldn't be an issue, standard procedure for HRO. They fill backorders before showing any in stock.

I've ordered from them before and never had a problem so i'm probably worrying for nothing

palmerjrusa

I ordered my ID-52A from HRO a few days after you did.
Like you I was immediately charged for it, which I took to be a hopeful sign since, as you say, merchants usually charge your credit card immediately prior to shipping.

I don't think I'll be getting my ID-52A till late January, I hope to be wrong on this.

I wouldn't worry, HRO are good to deal with, (DXEngineering too!), when I did have a problem one time with a missing package HRO were great, it was dealing with the USPS that was a nightmare.

N4DJC

Like you I was immediately charged for it, which I took to be a hopeful sign since, as you say, merchants usually charge your credit card immediately prior to shipping.

I don't think I'll be getting my ID-52A till late January, I hope to be wrong on this.

I wouldn't worry, HRO are good to deal with, (DXEngineering too!), when I did have a problem one time with a missing package HRO were great, it was dealing with the USPS that was a nightmare.

On high demand items like the 52 the shipments will be determined by Icom's ability to get the products made and on US shores.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber

I've ordered all my gear/coax form DX and HRO, never had trouble with any of them so far. We'll have to sit and wait.

Hit_Factor

Well well, just got a message from DHL, a package from HRO is on it's way. The expected delivery date is December 24. I'm getting it from HRO in Salem.
That's a good sign. My reservation was 8/20/20 and converted to an order 11/19/21. I just looked for a message from HRO - but nothing yet. UPS ground is next day delivery when shipped from Milwaukee. Might take two days during the Christmas rush.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Merchants usually charge your credit card just a bit prior to sending the goods.
I think that's a Federal requirement (FTC, maybe). If you order something and the merchant hits your credit card with the charges, I believe they have to ship within 30 days or offer to refund your money?

I appreciate the early adopters in the world, but I won't be one of them. The idea of giving a merchant full price for an item that they don't have in stock with no guarantee of when they will be able to ship doesn't sit right with me. And, invariably, the price comes down after the item has been on the market for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.