New Hanover County Trunking System

THEKIDCAR1547

Has there been any changes to New Hanover Co's trunked system? Was down there in July 2021 and was able to listen to them just fine on my G5, came back in December and January and it can't detect the system now. No changes to my pager's programming, any help would be appreciated.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Surprised you heard anything in 2021, but good for you. Just about everything here is encrypted…NHC Sheriff’s Office, WPD, Carolina Beach PD, Kure Beach PD, ILM Staff. They‘ve kind of gone scorched earth with encryption so there are almost no public service agencies that are not. The landfill is open, ambulance-to-hospital is open and some public works talk groups.
Some Wrightsville PD talk groups are in the clear, but that’s it as far as law enforcement is concerned. WFD is clear as well.

Last edited:

Tobydog

All law enforcement radio traffic city and county are encrypted in New Hanover County and have been so for a time period. Fire and EMS are dispatched over PS2 which is in the talkgroup listing.

THEKIDCAR1547

Thank you both for that info. Issue I'm having is my scanner isn't detecting the tower anymore when I get into range of it which is odd as I didn't change anything between visits. Was curious if some of the freq's had changed or if the system was changed since last summer.

spencerwww

Thank you both for that info. Issue I'm having is my scanner isn't detecting the tower anymore when I get into range of it which is odd as I didn't change anything between visits. Was curious if some of the freq's had changed or if the system was changed since last summer.
Is all.wilgmtion hanhovar ems fire in clear on p25

dustinyork

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to see if anyone had any updates on the New Hanover County P25 system. I was able to monitor numerous talkgroups until Fall 2021, but now my G5 is unable to detect the system. It connects to VIPER without issue.

Tobydog

Some dispatching has moved to TG PS2 for fire and ems. Last info from reliable source is changes not planned at anytime soon. All main channels are listed as CC'S at this time. Not simulcast at this moment

Chris0516

Surprised you heard anything in 2021, but good for you. Just about everything here is encrypted…NHC Sheriff’s Office, WPD, Carolina Beach PD, Kure Beach PD, ILM Staff. They‘ve kind of gone scorched earth with encryption so there are almost no public service agencies that are not. The landfill is open, ambulance-to-hospital is open and some public works talk groups.
Some Wrightsville PD talk groups are in the clear, but that’s it as far as law enforcement is concerned. WFD is clear as well.
If ILM is encrypted? Then how come, I can hear the on LiveATC.net?

kg4pbd

Just wanted to see if anyone had any updates on the New Hanover County P25 system. I was able to monitor numerous talkgroups until Fall 2021, but now my G5 is unable to detect the system. It connects to VIPER without issue.
I had the same issue a few weeks ago while at Kure Beach. I've double checked my programming and it is correct at least as far as what is in the database. I was able to hear the system on a scanner, but at the south end of Kure the reception was poor.

Tobydog

Just a Note, system in NH has areas of poor reception. System on lower end of land has been sketchy for many years. To repeat fire and ems has not been encrypted just LEO unless it has been done just recently. Fire and ems dispatch has been on PS2 recently

Chris0516

huh? Are you listening to the airport?
Yes, I was listening to the tower on that website.
I think he’s confusing ATC comms with the encrypted comms on the P25 system for ILM.
No, Below is the post that made wonder. Yes, He only said ILM Staff. But, That is why I asked.

spencerwww

No, Below is the post that made wonder. Yes, He only said ILM Staff. But, That is why I asked.
Is ems to dispatch open and all fire including wilmgtion and beaches i know they got all different dispatches channel tags

fredva

Feed Provider
Is ems to dispatch open and all fire including wilmgtion and beaches i know they got all different dispatches channel tags
It's been said twice in this thread already that fire and EMS are in the clear, meaning they are open, unencrypted.

EDIT: You can check for yourself what is encrypted and what is not by looking at the database page for the system. If the Mode column for a talkgroup has a D, it is open. If it has DE, it is encrypted. New Hanover County Trunking System, Wilmington, North Carolina

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Do you really think if ATC comms were encrypted that you’d be able to listen to them online? Anything concerning the Tower is under the FAA and they wouldn’t have any type of comms on the county P25 system.