R8600 New IC-R8600 v1.34 Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

intermod

What is this cost? I have heard this regarding P25, but I have never heard anyone provide evidence or a $$$ amount. Clearly the the vocoder guys (DVSI) are getting something, but would ETSI or the DMR Association also be charging, other then the membership fee to join the DMRA?

DMRA Membership Category 1, Full Members, Manufacturers (One-Time): EU 5,000
Annual: EU 0

It's not a technical issue, it's a proprietary and monetary issue, from what I understand. Icom will not pay the licensing fee for DMR. Is that what it boils down to, or is that incorrect?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well, if it's a competition situation then it is a money-issue that Icom does not want to pay. It all boils down to sales competition, and that is definitely a money thing.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Well, if it's a competition situation then it is a money-issue that Icom does not want to pay. It all boils down to sales competition, and that is definitely a money thing.

DMR, NXDN, D-Star and YSF all use the same DVSI vocoder as P25, so one license fee should cover it all. The main reason Icom won't support DMR (from an Icom news release linked in another forum thread) is that it's in direct competition with NXDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.