• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New President Randy FCC handheld/mobile CB

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Coming back home, hardly anything. Talked to a trucker when I was fueling up in Orin Wyoming about cb. Said it’s pretty much dead. Even said going through Chicago was dead. Was surprised. When I drove truck 20 years ago, you heard so much crap there you couldn’t key up. Still like my handheld.

K9HAL

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered one of these from Wolcott. I think using the TNC antenna connector on it was a great move. The RS TRC-226 antenna uses the same connector and was the best hand held cb antenna in my opinion. Pick up one of those on your favorite auction site and your set. I also wish it had SSB. Maybe someone will figure out how to expand the coverage someday.

Hit_Factor

I have 1000 miles on a Randy FCC and just a handful of transmissions received.

In an effort to troubleshoot, my Icom ic-r30 picks up almost constant chatter using the same antenna on my truck. I swept the antenna and SWR is 1:1.2, it's a 4 foot Firestik.

I live about .25 mile from I-94. So no lack of activity to be heard.

I missed the Amazon return window and am dealing directly with President via email. It took about a week to get return authorization and I will ship it out tomorrow. I'll followup with additional info as it becomes available.

slowmover

I bought one when stopped off at a favorite retailer in Texas a few weeks back.

Haven’t unboxed it as was finishing installation on the vehicle mobile.

Looking forward to getting mic linked above.

— Primary use will be as backup to main mobile radio.

My vehicle installations emphasize maximum signal capture. Ability to hear as far as one TX. Distance + Clarity.

I’ve no doubt the Randy will be fine in this use as its size & portability are the assets as a backup. I don’t expect it to perform as well as a fully-sized & featured CB when used as a drop-in substitute. I expect it to be about par with a more typical CB as encountered.

— When I figure out where to mount an antenna for it, it’s second purpose will be to run as a CB scanner. Tried the xtra low cost Uniden in this role, but wasn’t pleased with RX capability.

— Third use is in walking around. That’ll take some experimenting to come up with portable power/re-charge + antennas in different scenarios. (Say, camping with a dipole tossed into trees, etc).

Randy Review

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

I have 1000 miles on a Randy FCC and just a handful of transmissions received.

In an effort to troubleshoot, my Icom ic-r30 picks up almost constant chatter using the same antenna on my truck. I swept the antenna and SWR is 1:1.2, it's a 4 foot Firestik.

I live about .25 mile from I-94. So no lack of activity to be heard.

I missed the Amazon return window and am dealing directly with President via email. It took about a week to get return authorization and I will ship it out tomorrow. I'll followup with additional info as it becomes available.

President returned the CB to me. They called me on the phone to tell me the results. It's in spec. Customer service was very quick.

I checked my antenna, SWR is just fine, everything else I could think of checked out good, no shorts, good grounds. Antenna is on a back rack mounted to a F350.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
President returned the CB to me. They called me on the phone to tell me the results. It's in spec. Customer service was very quick.

I checked my antenna, SWR is just fine, everything else I could think of checked out good, no shorts, good grounds. Antenna is on a back rack mounted to a F350.
Are you still not receiving any traffic?

slowmover

— I’d want an antenna 5’or greater.

— How do other CB radios operate when swapped in for the Randy?

sloop

I have a Randy FCC and as long as I have the autosquelch turned on I only hear other CB's within about a mile (and of course the "big boys"). When I turn the autosquelch off I hear something on most channels.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have a Randy FCC and as long as I have the autosquelch turned on I only hear other CB's within about a mile (and of course the "big boys"). When I turn the autosquelch off I hear something on most channels.
That sounds like an adjustment of the autosquelch is justified, or not use that feature.

sloop

You have to understand how the Automatic Squelch Control works. From the Presidents web site..... "ASC continuously evaluates the received signal and existing noise. The signal/noise ratio determines whether a signal is heard or not." To duplicate this manually you would need to adjust the squelch for each individual channel removing all background noise thus letting only the strongest signals through. The IC-R30 does not have this feature and therefore receives more signals (complete with background noise). Bottom line...if you want to hear a 'bunch of transmissions' you will need to turn the ASC off and adjust the squelch manually.

Hit_Factor

You have to understand how the Automatic Squelch Control works...

...The IC-R30 does not have this feature...

...bottom line...
Who has said ASC was in use?

The r30 has voice squelch control, that's Icoms term for automatic squelch control.

Please explain again why the r30 picks up transmissions and the Randy misses most signals.

The Randy FCC has alot of great features, but it's headed for my scrap pile or eBay because it has a poor receiver.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I have found the antenna that comes with it sucks balls. I had an old radio shack antenna and used that on my trip. Picked up allot more than that POS antenna that comes with it.

slowmover

When I swap in the Randy for the usual radio in my KW, I don’t notice a great diminution as against common radios (AM or Export). I also don’t expect a handheld to be their peer. A user of a UNIDEN 880 will find it familiar in ability depending on the rest of the radio system.

RX was crisp against the same level of hiss as a Lincoln or McKinley. Having a number of noise-control features is welcome (especially, Hi-Cut). DSP Speaker was cranked harder than with typical radio, but that was to cut background, NOT to be able to decipher RX.

TX was reported as fine. I used the optional mic (lapel speaker/mic can also be used; attach radio to belt like a business two-way, etc) and its small, solid & positive.

Haven’t tested the supplied antenna, but you can find Utube vids showing 3-miles. That’s what most folks would expect. The antenna system is decisive (as with every radio).

With an Iowa or Maryland this unit looks to be a good Fly & Drive option.

I’ll be giving this to my son to keep and use as he sees fit. We did a radio installation in his vehicle earlier this year. The Randy will make a useful second radio easily stored.

That McKinley can be moved to the house and used as a base, and the Randy hidden away to use in the car.

Or the handheld used at the campsite with a dipole tossed up in the trees; the mobile still in the vehicle coming & going. Dipole, radio & accessories stored in a case for easy use otherwise. I’ll let him figure out solar re-charge.

I’m glad to have acquired it.

Last edited:

BrianKmetz

I bought a Randy FCC several months ago. I did a lot of research and I chose it because I think it is the best HT CB on the market. Stoutly made, great battery, and lots of features. The only drawback is the TNC female antenna connection. I recently upgraded the antenna to an Abbree, ~$20 on Amazon. I also had to get a TNC female to BNC male (~$5) to get the Randy to mate up with the Abbree. Abbree doesn't use model numbers. One picks the frequency, antenna mount, and length. As CB is dead in my town, I'll have to wait until my next road trip on the interstate to hear how much of an improvement I get.
Abbree 27Mhz.jpgRandy FCC Abbree 1.jpgRandy FCC Abbree 2.jpg

KD8DVR

I bought a Randy FCC several months ago. I did a lot of research and I chose it because I think it is the best HT CB on the market. Stoutly made, great battery, and lots of features. The only drawback is the TNC female antenna connection. I recently upgraded the antenna to an Abbree, ~$20 on Amazon. I also had to get a TNC female to BNC male (~$5) to get the Randy to mate up with the Abbree. Abbree doesn't use model numbers. One picks the frequency, antenna mount, and length. As CB is dead in my town, I'll have to wait until my next road trip on the interstate to hear how much of an improvement I get.
View attachment 109296View attachment 109298View attachment 109299
I have the same antenna. Results: Inconclusive. The sucky thing is, I have absolutely no one to talk to in my area. I bought the daggone handheld because it was so cool. Maybe you'll have something positive to report.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I turn mine on while driving locally to see if anyone is talking on it. Pretty dead. Still, its a good backup for communications if your in a area with no cell reception. At night, skip does light it up though.