• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New President Randy FCC handheld/mobile CB

slowmover

Why don’t y’all plug a Uniden 880 into a rubber duckie?
Get an 120V extension cord and walk around?

Or put that radio on the car dashboard with that antenna?

Maybe the Randy handheld is the EXTENSION of your existing radio systems. The antenna systems.

Your “use reports” tell us nothing about the radio, only about the inferior antenna systems it’s hooked into.

Test it against your base & mobile with the screw-on antenna. Three-mile radius in two-way? Five miles? Ten miles RX only?

Your “better” radios aren’t portable in any usable sense. Gonna carry a 12V car battery around? Thus they’re the ones deficient, right?

Keep the advantages of types separate.

I plugged the Randy into an existing mobile system and it was easily as good as a UNIDEN 880, maybe even a McKinley.

Not, “the same as”.
Similar enough in the end, though.

1). You could leave the Randy installed and walk around with a wireless mic. Limited to one channel and controls as set on radio 50-yards or more away.

2). Or you could UNPLUG and roam a couple of miles from others at the main radio system as well as operate on other channels, etc.

3). Or with a good system already installed, this unit
is easily hidden away until needed. Install antenna (getting to 12-14’) into NMO mount and plug Randy into RAM mount and connect coax (with KL-203 plus noise reducers), 13V-power & DSP speaker.

4) You want to walk-around put radio on belt clip and use a VOX speaker/mic lapel unit clipped to shirt. Get rubber duckie antenna or something better. Multiply unit by number of hikers or hunters.

Radio is just fine.

Brains in how to use it, appears questionable.

— It’s advantage is:

1). Compact size with great features. Store in glovebox or fly’n drive.

2). In having a lightweight, long-lasting
re-chargeable battery pack. Operate 12V, 120v (no separate power supply needed), or on battery.

Where are those comments?

There’s plenty going on here at only $140.

Last edited:

s1mpleton

I looked at the large retail website, and someone said they used a RS mic, which uses the Icom pinout.

You would think that President would offer a mic as an accessory, or at least give the pinout. (I can understand not mentioning another company.)
On their website they show 2 handmikes as accessory for the randy.

gman1971

Who has said ASC was in use?

The r30 has voice squelch control, that's Icoms term for automatic squelch control.

Please explain again why the r30 picks up transmissions and the Randy misses most signals.

The Randy FCC has alot of great features, but it's headed for my scrap pile or eBay because it has a poor receiver.

Sounds like the radio receiver might be desensing. Try a 10dB attenuator and a 30Mhz lowpass filter. I've run into a similar problem with my older Midland 75-820 radios. My Kenwood TS-50S can hear chatter just fine, but none of my CB talkies can, well, that was until I added a 10dB and the 30mhz lowpass. Still not as good as the TS-50S, but then again the 75-820 is just an inexpensive walkie.

G.

slowmover

Looking at this again as backup to a typical mobile installation. All purpose.

1). The, get out and walk-about radio at a major accident scene. A rally or caravan. (You name it).

— A U-BC906W wireless speaker/mic paired to a U-885 radio (or other) so as to have the “punch” to get out. A Randy as things progress (car may not operate, 100-yard distance exceeded).

2). Randy needs better than the short-range rubber-duckie supplied antenna. Several miles versus a half-mile. (For when comms matter).

— I see some telescoping antennas might work (given adaptors), but envision use where one is maybe needing something with some “give” as being a better choice (1-2/mile range versus 5-6).

3). And using the VOX feature on an optional external mic:

— Any ideas as to a VOX headset that might work? (As earpiece might be better in noisy environment).

4). I see it as going to want a lithium battery charger to carry along to keep things going longest. Any high-quality recommendations?

3-season it’s easy to set this “rig” in a jacket. Helps to have a summer shirt (5.11 Tactical double breast-pocket) able to fill in as carrier. Charger could also be in pants/shorts.

5) I gave mine to my son before testing of this sort, looks like I’ll need another (an FM version now available). Valid buying excuse, right?

Last edited:

slowmover

E9925E44-713F-46B1-AAE0-50CF9C5004C5.jpeg
The ACM-407

FC064235-45A1-43C1-AD7D-D76ED9A4E69C.jpeg
Cobra PMREBM

Latter is closest I’ve come to headset. Am wanting something fits more securely (two way radio security type).

Anyone here can help? I see that Amazon’s offerings are MOTOROLA or Kenwood type, in main. I’m lost in knowing what might work

As to antennas with a bit of give, I’ve seen some flexi 24-31” offerings might work. EU Prez has a “tactical” antenna as model. (A post earlier in this thread re an ABBREE offering).

Nicest idea I saw was a 30-something where the base was a flexible gooseneck at the base. Aim the whip as convenient.

— Also available was a $12 chest rig seen that is a light, small radio carrier. Stretch straps around shoulders.

Use that to store Randy with headset and folded antenna till needed. (That’d fit under my work shirts). Room for a battery charger also.

Last edited:

slowmover

4F709336-A1D3-4F63-98F7-2B6FCA61973C.jpeg

The Coaxsher Scout. Brand is model for copy-cats. Abbree, and the no-names. Figured I should show a quality piece.

More de-luxe models from that brand upwards in price from here. This model designated for use with a backpack.

No experience in trying to run a hand-held thus. Imagine with 2-3’ antenna. Anyone?

— I suppose that with a backpack and a quality earpiece-style headset that the radio could be run from a backpack.

Boys, with a charger, no reason to think you couldn’t walk all over the place in regular use for 12-hours. Throw a dipole into some trees; got room for that in a backpack.

(No, I’m not speaking about walkie-talkies, two-way radios, GMRS, the latest Bumfang or what-have you. Much less wanting them for roadside).

— Bad wrecks usually hours. 2-3/hours is a common minimum you arrive early for best seating. Blizzards can shut things down for days. Etc.

I see the Randy as an unparalleled aid to getting around among all the vehicles.

An aid that, once I’ve walked six yards past my 100-yard BC906W range, and can’t use my “base” (big truck mobile with many miles of range), the Randy steps up to get me 1,2,3-miles. Local only.

— A major route backup can be 8 or 9 miles long, even farther until traffic is re-routed. But it’s possible to be too close to the incident to make the diversion exit. “You” get to wait.

Might also be some time till help arrives. Other men with the right tools. Yet more who know to use them. Freeing the trapped, etc.

I’ve tried some speculation in a thread titled, roughly, “U885 Road Trip King”, etc, where that hybrid CB/Scanner is proposed. With the Uniden BC906W Wireless Mic as cornerstone.

See linked video.

The last piece is the Randy.

Last edited:

arudlang

Bad wrecks usually hours. 2-3/hours is a common minimum you arrive early for best seating.
I shouldn't laugh, but that was funny :ROFLMAO:

I see the Randy as an unparalleled aid to getting around among all the vehicles.
I know you are concerned about range but I'm confident if you have one of those ~50 inch telescoping antennas it will get out pretty good. I've made 6-7 miles work with a 48-50ish inch telescoping antenna on a handheld. I know its a bit easy to bend but as long as you are using a quick-connect type of connector then you swap out the rubber duck antenna for the good/long one in your pack takes 10 seconds and then you have probably doubled your range.

I'm afraid all that is probably for nought in most areas though. If 100 cars pile up here in my part of the country most likely none of the cars have CBs. The big hailing trucks might but they probably won't be on and they will more likely be getting on their phones than the radio. Odds of getting any actual warning out seem slim just because of the narrow window. Not saying it's impossible.

Don't discount the Baofeng too much either, if you are within range of a local repeater you are far more likely to contact someone on that around here than you would be with CB. CB is nearly dead in my local region but 2 meter ham is strong and there are lots of repeaters covering hundreds of square miles. Not only that, but many of those repeaters are internet linked so the 99.8% of people involved in a pileup or backup who don't have radios of any sort can actually listen to the radio chatter on their phone if someone tells them where to find the online station.

That right there is probably what kills the need for the scanner the most... so many modern radio services can be monitored online now from phones... if you are licensed you can even talk/TX on some of the online enabled repeaters.

I don't know. I think it's highly regional but where I live if I make one local CB contact a week then CB is "busy", meanwhile on my boomfang I can reach people on the repeaters in this local area just about any time of day on-demand. That's just this area though, quite different from an open stretch of highway in-between major cities. I assume I better just cover all my bases and own some of everything :LOL:

I went with the Midland 75-822 over the Randy though. So far the Midland is not a stellar performer on TX with an aftermarket rubber duck but it receives ok. At least it's easy to use it with an external antenna and multiple power sources. I don't need to carry a lithium pack when the Midland comes with 2 battery packs (one for traditional AA batteries and one for rechargeables) and it can be the car's radio too with the sliding base so I can use my better antenna on my car. Just need that 48" telescoping antenna now for away from car...

slowmover

Thanks, arudlang. I’m aware of the perception that AM-19 is dead . . my experience, though, is that it becomes alive for the duration of the backup given that the road in question is a fairly busy truck route.

As to the use of other services, please add radios to suit.

From the linked video we have 8-12 tractor-trailers piled up in view.

1). Most will still have working radios.
2). Some drivers may need assistance to exit.
3). Here’s that key:

Identification is Location & Stated Need. (A driver with CB may be aware already of someone near to him in need).

— What identifies his truck? Can he or someone else tell us who’s next to him bow & stern?

— In this manner can a 3rd party somewhere in the backup start to write out this info on paper to give to emergency services as they come crawling past.

“We” personally may not be suited to rendering aid or freeing trapped drivers . . but getting info BACK to the un-involved might make things better in shortest order for those in need.

This sort of thing is just reading & writing.
ID, Location, Need

Or, (as in the Install sub-forum “2022 GMC Terrain” thread) we went to the minimal install needs of a radio rig that would perform we early heard the wreck occurring and got our family OFF the roadway.

In which case WE are those ears ready to write or further relay info as the case may be.

FAA5A0FD-6283-4D21-B42C-A952397853AD.jpeg
Best set of ears has this: WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO DSP CLEARSPEECH Speaker to sort the wheat from the chaff.

If you really (truly) want every chance on your side . . it will be part of your rig.

There’s plenty of folk want no involvement or responsibility. For those that do, the right gear is enabling.

I was seeing this thread as trying to cover the bases re CB on the big road.

The Interstate System comprises 2% of all roadways, but carries 90% of traffic.

Road Trip
is also being responsive to the needs of others.

(On the lighter side, I’ve heard plenty of funny stories, joking, and great recipes to taunt those whose trucks only have a Wally World trash bag holding crumbs)

At a wreck backup where one has arrived to standing room only, he’ll hear little but the backup radios being turned on to ask:

“What’s the hold-up, westbound?

“What lane’s getting through?”

“How long ago did this happen? Are the police and wreckers here?”

Is most of what passes for AM-19 chatter that these bad radio rigs which can TX/RX maybe a mile leave the impression that it’s all that CB offers.

As we saw in the video, there are going to be some long, long minutes where the need to act will make a difference. A report or reports to those further back is just as important if it keeps Emergency Services from having to do what we COULD do as to ID, Location, Need.

I’m trusting Him that actions are what’s wanted. It’s not up to me past doing whatever I can. Getting OUT information allows other men to step forward with a place to start.

Drivers with tools & knowledge.
Asking others around them.

He helps those who help themselves.

“That day” (horrific wreck) may never come . . but if it did, how might I use The Citizens Band Radio as it was intended while mobile?

1). The BC906W gives my base station mobile a (maybe) 100-yard radius to work.

2). A Randy walks me past that barrier that other mobile rigs can take and relay that information.

My twenty-minutes of efforts MIGHT make a difference for someone.

Last edited:

slowmover

Our linked video (885 Road Trip) narrator finally heeds his conscience that next it’s his role To Act.

He’s given me, given you, until then an intimate perspective of what it’s like when the adrenaline hits and things are still crazy (his term).

If you’re reading this thread having watched the linked video then maybe it’s not by chance. Not everyone has the moxie to make a good road-trip CB radio install.

But you can.

A worthy CB Radio installation is a significant vehicle upgrade (permanent antenna mount) such that if called, you can answer. (Any gear thread for gear-heads implies competence earned or sought).

So don’t be intimidated by some a-wipe jeering at you, or the long-term Hollywood disrespect of CB (Rednecksville) you’ve allowed to color your perceptions, etc.

Don’t give up.

The man in the right just keeps on coming.

Ask

The Randy is not a toy . . it’s the right tool having appeared at the right time.

Last edited:

slowmover

1). TNC to BNC adapter for “tactical” antenna.

2). Speaker/Mic (Vox) per President

and, is that two-plug configuration ICOM or KENWOOD?

— in which case a security guard type headset could be used with a longer “tactical” antenna for walking around in hands-free operation.

Help in how to ID two-pin would be appreciated.

Thx

— I already have a laptop backpack I will use to go into my several hundred pounds of truck-driver gear (OTR; gone weeks, even months) to get the most from a Randy . Put some food & water inside. (thinking a maximum of 12-hours).

A second portable back-up radio is what it is.

— An antenna of the type above and a headset are what’s missing past another lithium battery-charger. I have the VOX-capable lapel speaker/mic

— I’ve noted some phone/radio belt (MOLLE) holders at my favorite Army/Navy surplus store downtown to try for fit.

— An “all-weather” case ought to be obtained.

— Have a DIY dipole I can stow away with some coax.

— I’d also store in the backpack what’s necessary to mount the portable should it become the primary mobile radio (mainly Velcro + zip-ties).

Other ideas welcomed for walk-about as being stuck in one location isn’t limited to accident scenes.

Might just want to take a stroll on a 34-hr HOS re-set. 24-7 if I’m at a major chain truckstop there’s likely several someone’s to talk with to start hashing out how it works while afoot.

— First, the BC906W cordless mic range thru the “base station” radio in the Kenworth, then how the audio stacks up using the portable farther out.

Last edited:

cmgam

Hi
For Randy owners, and considering that the antenna is a crucial factor for range, what is the best/good portable antenna for this radio.
Thanks
Regards