New Scanner Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanbg

Hi everyone!
I currently have a Radioshack Pro-79 (yeah, I know...) from quite a few years ago and I am looking to upgrade so I can hear most of the new systems, and am not sure if I should get a digital scanner and invest all that money into one, but I also don't want to purchase a nice scanner and have it be obsolete. Any advice is welcome.
I would like to be able to listen in on Police and Fire, mainly Fire and EMS (Allina) in Ramsey County, specifically Shoreview/Vadnais Heights/North Oaks area.

Ryan

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Ramsey County has switched to the digital ARMER system, so you will need to get a digital scanner. You can hear the fire dispatch channels on your old scanner as they are still simulcast on VHF for pagers, but you won't be able to hear much else unless you get a digital scanner.

ryanbg

Ramsey County has switched to the digital ARMER system, so you will need to get a digital scanner. You can hear the fire dispatch channels on your old scanner as they are still simulcast on VHF for pagers, but you won't be able to hear much else unless you get a digital scanner.

So, even when I had my scanner awhile ago before all this began, I only heard occasional traffic. With the new digital scanners and the 800mhz frequency, will I be able to hear almost everything now?

Last edited:

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Would you recommend it over the BC396T?

It's all a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I love my 396 and would recommend it to anyone. I had a Pro-96 for a while and didn't like it at all, but others prefer it. Another one to consider is the GRE PSR-500, which is basically the new and improved Radio Shack digital scanner. (GRE makes the Pro-96 and most other RS scanners)

If you are considering a 396, I'd wait until more details are available about this 396XT thing. It won't be made public for about a month, but there is lots of speculation going on in this thread: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114581

KG7JEV

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what your budget is, but I just bought a bcd996t and love it. I never knew what I was missing, and I only know a little bit about the scanner. I can't wait to learn how to maximize its features. I say go for it and buy a digital scanner.

ryanbg

It's all a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I love my 396 and would recommend it to anyone. I had a Pro-96 for a while and didn't like it at all, but others prefer it. Another one to consider is the GRE PSR-500, which is basically the new and improved Radio Shack digital scanner. (GRE makes the Pro-96 and most other RS scanners)

If you are considering a 396, I'd wait until more details are available about this 396XT thing. It won't be made public for about a month, but there is lots of speculation going on in this thread: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114581
That looks promising. It seems like the Pro-96s are marginally more affordable than the BCD396T, and I am used to RadioShack's menu and options and what not so I guess that might be a good route to take, but I heard some talk about the Pro-96 not being able to update the the new something or another? Can anyone elaborate on this? The GRE PSR-500 seems the most appealing so far, it's kind of in between the price range, has a lot of features, and a multi-color LCD for different calls. I know there is software for the Pro-96 and BCD396T to program it, is there any for the GRE PSR-500?

Last edited:

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Yes, there is software available for the PSR-500 but you have to buy it separately, and you also have to buy it for the Pro-96. With the Unidens you get free software.

Status
Not open for further replies.