New SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio3353

Sorry. Your correct, Scanner Master. I have always ordered from them.

That is very disappointing. I would not have expected Scanner Master to be selling old stock. Maybe they resold you a return. That would be even more disappointing. I would return it if you can for a full refund or NEW unit.

truck1631

Feed Provider
I was going to get a new SDS200 for Christmas, think I will hold off a little longer. Question to the group when ordering a new radio can you ask for one manufactured after a certain date? Or is it just the luck of the draw?
I bought my sds200 in July and it already had the modification in it from the factory.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Ordered both my SDS100 and SDS200 from Webtronix on Amazon. Excellent service and perfect units.
No humming, no defects and I was an early buyer of these new models....

Scobol

If you order from a busy, high-volume seller, you'll get a reasonably fresh unit. If you order from a place that only sells one-two a month, you're more likely to get a shelf-warmer.
Not always true. I also just got one from Scanner Master and it has the hum too.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's my understanding Uniden is not fixing anything before new scanners are shipped out. Has that changed.

With regards to what dealer has good ones or bad ones, it's the luck of the draw. It's also my understanding there are no "goods" ones, just ones that haven't failed yet. To date has any of this changed?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's my understanding Uniden is not fixing anything before new scanners are shipped out. Has that changed.
They have already started shipping scanners with the grounding clip, so that's not correct.

It's also my understanding there are no "goods" ones, just ones that haven't failed yet. To date has any of this changed?
That was never true. The majority of SDS200 units have never had the problem.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
They have already started shipping scanners with the grounding clip, so that's not correct.

That was never true. The majority of SDS200 units have never had the problem.

Jon

I respect your knowledge but do you really consider Uniden's clip a "fix"? To me it's more like a band-aid in the swimming pool. No integrity, poor reliability. With regards to: "The majority of SDS200 units have never had the problem" Are you privy to information from Uniden that we don't have access to or haven't heard about?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Jon

I respect your knowledge but do you really consider Uniden's clip a "fix"?
Yes. Perhaps it's not as reliable as recalling every SDS200 with a serial below xxxxx and replacing the display module or removing all the solder mask around the screw holes, but it works in the majority of cases.

Are you privy to information from Uniden that we don't have access to or haven't heard about?
I could ask you the same.

If the majority of SDS200 units had the RFI in the audio problem, the odds of people buying multiple units and getting all good ones would be vanishingly small. Let's say that 90% of SDS200s had the noise problem. If you buy one, your odds of getting a good one are 10%. If you buy two, the odds of both being good are 1% (10% of 10%). And if you buy 6, your odds of getting all good ones drop to 0.0001%. There are a couple of posters who have 6 or more SDS200s, and no defective units, so that's pretty solid evidence that the defect rate is a lot lower than 90%. If the defect rate was 50%, the odds of buying 6 good ones are still only 1.5625%. You can estimate a reasonable upper bound to the defect rate D by working out what value of D satisfies the condition (1-D)^6 > 25%.

There's also the "squeaky wheel" factor; people with problems are more motivated to post than people who don't. So even if the "my unit is bad" and my unit is good" posts are about equal, you can't presume half of all units are defective from that.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Yes. Perhaps it's not as reliable as recalling every SDS200 with a serial below xxxxx and replacing the display module or removing all the solder mask around the screw holes, but it works in the majority of cases.

I could ask you the same.

If the majority of SDS200 units had the RFI in the audio problem, the odds of people buying multiple units and getting all good ones would be vanishingly small. Let's say that 90% of SDS200s had the noise problem. If you buy one, your odds of getting a good one are 10%. If you buy two, the odds of both being good are 1% (10% of 10%). And if you buy 6, your odds of getting all good ones drop to 0.0001%. There are a couple of posters who have 6 or more SDS200s, and no defective units, so that's pretty solid evidence that the defect rate is a lot lower than 90%. If the defect rate was 50%, the odds of buying 6 good ones are still only 1.5625%. You can estimate a reasonable upper bound to the defect rate D by working out what value of D satisfies the condition (1-D)^6 > 25%.

There's also the "squeaky wheel" factor; people with problems are more motivated to post than people who don't. So even if the "my unit is bad" and my unit is good" posts are about equal, you can't presume half of all units are defective from that.

Still pure speculation, math only works when you have the facts. You also can't assume half of all units are not defective. Keep in mind not all owners of SDS scanners are here on RR commenting about their scanners. They might not even be aware of RR. They don't need RR to use or program their scanners. It's all done via Sentinel. So to try to estimate the ratio of good and bad scanners based on input on RR would be highly inaccurate. In addition to that a good percentage of SDS owners could be new users that would not recognize a problem if they had one. It's also known many SDS owners don't care if they have the problem, so it goes unreported, or possibly they're so ticked off they don't even want to discuss it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Still pure speculation, math only works when you have the facts. You also can't assume half of all units are not defective. Keep in mind not all owners of SDS scanners are here on RR commenting about their scanners. They might not even be aware of RR. They don't need RR to use or program their scanners. It's all done via Sentinel. So to try to estimate the ratio of good and bad scanners based on input on RR would be highly inaccurate. In addition to that a good percentage of SDS owners could be new users that would not recognize a problem if they had one. It's also known many SDS owners don't care if they have the problem, so it goes unreported, or possibly they're so ticked off they don't even want to discuss it.
It's not pure speculation, I'm basing that conclusion on several data points. Several people have posted that they have multiple SDS200 scanners, and none of them have the problem. If half of all SDS200s have the problem, the odds of someone buying 6 scanners and getting all good ones is only 1.5625%. So it's extremely unlikely that D is anywhere near 50%.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's not pure speculation, I'm basing that conclusion on several data points. Several people have posted that they have multiple SDS200 scanners, and none of them have the problem. If half of all SDS200s have the problem, the odds of someone buying 6 scanners and getting all good ones is only 1.5625%. So it's extremely unlikely that D is anywhere near 50%.

As the saying goes, it depends if you're buying or selling! :LOL:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
As the saying goes, it depends if you're buying or selling! :LOL:
The math doesn't really care either way. If the defect rate was 10%, and you buy 6 random scanners, you have about a 53% chance of getting all good ones. That's a lot more consistent with the (limited) data available than a defect rate of 50-90%.

I'm not saying 10% is good, I'm saying that's the highest plausible defect rate given the available data (several people with multiple scanners reporting no problems).

radio3353

It's not pure speculation, I'm basing that conclusion on several data points. Several people have posted that they have multiple SDS200 scanners, and none of them have the problem.

With all due respect, that is fuzzy math based on many assumptions, including thinking RR forums represent the market.

Ubbe

Didn't the added ground wires help to reduce the problem? Was that added later in production, as it looks like an afterthought, but it wasn't done properly in some scanners?

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.