NEW UPDATE - 3/1 TRX-1 and TRX-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

When they going to make the alphatags work like a cellphone keypad?
When entering alphatags its difficult the way it is.
They should make it like this
tap the number 2
1st result A
2nd result B
3rd result C
4th result 2
this way its quick and simple to enter Alphatags in that mode (programming the alphatags)

Probably never. Conservation of keystrokes.

The existing, 10-year-old method (inherited from the PSR-500) takes exactly 2 keystrokes to enter any letter, number, or symbol. (Toggling between upper and lowercase or between the two symbol sets is another keystroke (the Fn key)).

Your description above does not include lowercase. Would the sequence be like my stupid Panasonic cordless phone: A-B-C-a-b-c-2 ? Five keystrokes to enter 'b'? Then, to move to the next character position, I hit an arrow key, wait for a timeout, or start using a different key?

For example, if I want to enter "DGLS SO CH A", and presuming the . (decimal) key enters a space:

Your method would be 25 keystrokes (1-4 for each letter, 1 for each space):

On the TRX, it's 21 keystrokes (2 for each letter, 1 for each space):

DonS

strcpy

Probably never. Conservation of keystrokes.

The existing, 10-year-old method (inherited from the PSR-500) takes exactly 2 keystrokes to enter any letter, number, or symbol. (Toggling between upper and lowercase or between the two symbol sets is another keystroke (the Fn key)).

Your description above does not include lowercase. Would the sequence be like my stupid Panasonic cordless phone: A-B-C-a-b-c-2 ? Five keystrokes to enter 'b'? Then, to move to the next character position, I hit an arrow key, wait for a timeout, or start using a different key?

For example, if I want to enter "DGLS SO CH A", and presuming the . (decimal) key enters a space:

Your method would be 25 keystrokes (1-4 for each letter, 1 for each space):

On the TRX, it's 21 keystrokes (2 for each letter, 1 for each space):

I'll be adding ASCII IO to libtrx (http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/349122-trx-2-maybe-trx-1-cross-platform-api.html). Meaning you can just connect the USB cable, execute the upcoming "trxtype" app.

The program will first pause, user inserts ascii, program saves, and unpauses. So with this, it's one keystroke :).

wbswetnam

Whistler company is a big JOKE. Manually updated the firmware and now my radio is HOSED.

Thanks Whistler. Somebody needs to get fired at this company. I knew I should of stayed away from these scanners and stuck with Uniden. Uniden never has firmware updates that fail the radio. O well

No MAIN Appl Code! Waiting for USB...

It updated fine for my TRX-1... first I plugged in the radio to the computer, then I turned off the antivirus temporarily, and only THEN did I start up EZ Scan. It updated flawlessly.

MichaelBhere

Wonder if there is a way to un hose the scanner now

I doubt your unit is hosed, Take a breath and start over.

Get the TRX-2 file from Whistlers website.

Remove power from the scanner
Make sure your SD card is properly seated (remove and reinsert)
The TRX-2 has a big capacitor in it and you may want to press and hold the power button for 60 seconds to make sure the error message you received earlier gets cleared.

Press and hold Menu then plug in the USB cable.
Wait 10 seconds
Open the exe file and follow the instructions.

Wait for everything to finish as the unit wil go thru a couple of steps including a disconnect to the USB then about 10 seconds later it will reconnect and finish the install.

Once completed the display will change, then you can plug in the 12 volt power, press and hold the power button and it should turn on.

strcpy

ye, they changed encryption :)

You're right, it's a bit higher in entropy, so my guess is that someone compressed the image with an entity that can't be compressed (lossless), resulting in a bigger file, but once unpacked, well, maybe it's smaller?

allend

Premium Subscriber
The USB for the radio is hosed up. Can't use the firmware utility. I guess I will have to wait until Whistler gets around to fixing the problem.

Lesson learned. Don't upgrade firmware immediatley

allend

Premium Subscriber
I doubt your unit is hosed, Take a breath and start over.

Get the TRX-2 file from Whistlers website.

Remove power from the scanner
Make sure your SD card is properly seated (remove and reinsert)
The TRX-2 has a big capacitor in it and you may want to press and hold the power button for 60 seconds to make sure the error message you received earlier gets cleared.

Press and hold Menu then plug in the USB cable.
Wait 10 seconds
Open the exe file and follow the instructions.

Wait for everything to finish as the unit wil go thru a couple of steps including a disconnect to the USB then about 10 seconds later it will reconnect and finish the install.

Once completed the display will change, then you can plug in the 12 volt power, press and hold the power button and it should turn on.

I ran all of your steps and the same message keeps coming back. I can't get the message to clear from the screen so I can manually upgrade the firmware

No MAIN Appl code! Waiting for USB...

Status
Not open for further replies.