Newbie Help for Non-Trunked Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

m00se

I've been interested in ham radio and scanning for a while now. I got a chance to get a quansheng tv-uv2, which is a pretty good ham radio. I've learned a lot from it and it's got me even more interested in scanning side of things. Unfortunately, it's not a good scanner. It doesn't have the 800mhz range so it can only get the older legacy (136-174MHz & 350-470MHz) frequencies from public safety. Basically if it's on the radio reference database, here then I've tried to program it in my radio.

I've read up on UCAN and how the tech is moving forward, but right now I'm just saving up for a better scanner while I try to maximize what I have. I've found a couple sites that have a bunch of legacy freqs for Utah but it doesn't look like they're up to date and many of the freqs I've tried don't work anymore. I'm still very new at this, so I'm coming to the pros for some advice.

I have the 453.2 SLC fire dispatch programed into my radio. I used to hear the dispatch side only, but now I can't hear anything. Am I doing something wrong or is that freq dead now?

Likewise, I can hear the VECC fire dispatch on most of the older VECC frequencies, but I can never hear both sides of the convo. Do I have something programed wrong?

Are there any good legacy freqs that are simulcast with UCAN that aren't on the RR database for whatever reason?

Also, any other tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
m00se,

One of the goals of the UCAN is to "isolate" into "cells" radio comm's. Most radios may be able to simo on the legacy freq's but most are now lower power, short range and when the radio is communicating with a tower in the area on 800 mhz you can hear some of it on the simo but most transmissions are setup to be taken off the air and shuttled by ground comm's.

For instance an rescue taking a call in one quadrant of the city cannot be heard anywhere other than in the immediate area where they are currently transmitting from.

The design brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "its complicated".....LOL

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.