• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzy212

I'm looking to learn more about cb radios and how to reach out a tad further then 2 miles or so. I am a truck driver so I'd like to reach out about 5 miles or so what can i do to reach out further? I'm running a cobra 29 lx. Ima try to get the cb itself tuned today. I also find myself having to turn the rf nob down to not get so my rf noise with the squelch all the way turned up what can I do to have the rf all the way up and use the squelch to control the noise. I have used the Wilson 5k antenna also the terminator 15k watt antenna and also a normal 5ft probly 500watt or so antenna.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I'm not a trucker but have many years of experience using CB radios both mobile and base. To get the best range select an antenna with the highest gain. That can be found in the manufacturer's specifications. Next, choose a CB radio with the best sensitivity and again, that info can be found in the specifications. Single sideband will get you better range than AM or FM so select a radio with that mode. Tune your antenna(s) for the lowest SWR (Standing Wave Ratio). You'll need a SWR meter, but some CB radios have a built-in meter. When mobile, antenna placement is important so locate your antenna where it will have the most metal (ground plane) under it. However I've seen most commercial truckers using dual mirror mount antennas so you have to balance getting the best ground plane and practicality.

Sometimes stock microphones aren't the best. Years ago they used to sell "power" microphones that increased your modulation. These were battery-powered mics that were adjustable. Not sure if they still sell these though.

Output power of your radio will affect your transmitting range but not your receiving range. In the US we're limited to 4 watts output to keep us legal. Increasing your radio's output via mods or using linear amps will increase your range but as the old saying goes, "you can't work 'em if you can't hear 'em" and that's where receiver sensitivity is important.

Other things that affect range are ionospheric conditions and terrain, but those aren't under your control.

Hope this info helps and best regards.

CDX951

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to refrain from really getting into the weeds here! The Freightliner Cascadia requires a somewhat different antenna mounting situation for a decent CB setup.
Freightliner Antenna.jpg
This is the simplest way to mount a decent antenna on a newer Cascadia.
Mount-CASP4 Freightliner Cascadia CB Antenna Mount for 2018+ P4 Models
Antenna-Skipshooter S6 6 5000 Watt Fiberglass CB Antenna - BLACK
The reason for the tilt is to get the coil in the top part of the antenna away from the cab to minimize reflect (better SWR). A good antenna has to be in free space as much as possible.
You can substitute a 4 foot Firestick for the 6 foot Skipshooter. Skipshooters are generally not available in truck stops. The mount can be had in some truck stops. The most important consideration is the antenna should be "top loaded". No base load/center load coily looking antennas.
The built in antenna on the Cascadia is worthless, but it won't blow up you're radio.
For some help routeing your coax-
I normally wouldn't recommend truck stop coax, but you seem to be just starting out so it will work fine.

As far as the background noise...............we are on the upswing of a skip cycle! Radio signals tend to travel much further bouncing off the atmosphere during a skip cycle. Not much you can do about it. Now if you're getting interference from the truck that's another matter. The most common sources are cellphone/tablet chargers, inverters, and aftermarket LED lights. I have found that charging off of USB ports built into the truck don't cause much of a problem. Wall warts and cig lighter chargers do!

This should help you get going without breaking the bank! A good antenna will make even a basic CB radio do a fine job.

JD

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I haven't used CB while mobile in many years and was wondering what the general range is for AM with 4 watts output and external antenna? Thanks.

CDX951

Premium Subscriber
With a well sorted out antenna system, 5+ miles is attainable with a stock CB. Today's vehicles are more of a challenge as far as installing a two way radio system. This site can give some decent tips as far as two way radio installation................

KØBG.COM

JD

slowmover

I haven't used CB while mobile in many years and was wondering what the general range is for AM with 4 watts output and external antenna? Thanks.

Early morning and late evening looking at a few miles in a heavily-populated area. Down to maybe a mile midday.

5-miles is rural and/or a few hours past sunset.

Don’t expect much in the way of responses.

It is crucial you don’t compromise antenna system as 4W ain’t squat. (Vehicle center). Minimum 5’ antenna, IMO.

I wanted my son to have the bare minimum performing system in his SUV as I see it (truck driver with 3K hours of annual use), so an AM/SSB PRESIDENT McKinley + RM Italy KL-203 into a SIRIO 5000 antenna was what I assembled as a gift a few years back.

Today I’d change that radio to one of the latest with integrated DSP versus the expense of an external speaker so equipped. Cleaning up the noise is big.

I may be able to hear you on the road, but you — in turn — might not hear me respond. This is common.

Low Pass Filter

Last edited:

slowmover

I'm going to refrain from really getting into the weeds here! The Freightliner Cascadia requires a somewhat different antenna mounting situation for a decent CB setup.
View attachment 131363
This is the simplest way to mount a decent antenna on a newer Cascadia.
Mount-CASP4 Freightliner Cascadia CB Antenna Mount for 2018+ P4 Models
Antenna-Skipshooter S6 6 5000 Watt Fiberglass CB Antenna - BLACK
The reason for the tilt is to get the coil in the top part of the antenna away from the cab to minimize reflect (better SWR). A good antenna has to be in free space as much as possible.
You can substitute a 4 foot Firestick for the 6 foot Skipshooter. Skipshooters are generally not available in truck stops. The mount can be had in some truck stops. The most important consideration is the antenna should be "top loaded". No base load/center load coily looking antennas.
The built in antenna on the Cascadia is worthless, but it won't blow up you're radio.
For some help routeing your coax-
I normally wouldn't recommend truck stop coax, but you seem to be just starting out so it will work fine.

As far as the background noise...............we are on the upswing of a skip cycle! Radio signals tend to travel much further bouncing off the atmosphere during a skip cycle. Not much you can do about it. Now if you're getting interference from the truck that's another matter. The most common sources are cellphone/tablet chargers, inverters, and aftermarket LED lights. I have found that charging off of USB ports built into the truck don't cause much of a problem. Wall warts and cig lighter chargers do!

This should help you get going without breaking the bank! A good antenna will make even a basic CB radio do a fine job.

JD

Ha! Craig Sez! Thats well done.

That’s pretty much how I do it. The Cascadia is the easiest big truck. Can also use FME-end coax to go thru air line panel. Take power off at fuse panel feed as going to battery box doesn’t change noise (amp draw + voltage stability favors shortest power run).

Two (2) seven foot Skipshooter antennas is the route to go. Co-phase. “Hear” around trailer matters.

The lower portion of the Cascadia overhead is accessible to run lines. Don’t try to get up into the back as I did to go outwards to A-pillars.

Last edited:

slowmover

This would be my choice as of today. Moderate power and DSP. Nice mic, and all at a favorable price.

NRC the indicator of DSP. Watch first few minutes

fuzzy212

With a well sorted out antenna system, 5+ miles is attainable with a stock CB. Today's vehicles are more of a challenge as far as installing a two way radio system. This site can give some decent tips as far as two way radio installation................

KØBG.COM

JD

Ty yeah I had a cb shop install the antenna and coaxed cable with my first cb that was a cheap ass one. I need tax write off so I just purchased the Stryker sr955hpc. What do u think of the 7ft firestick what ever antenna I run it'll be just one of them for now.

CDX951

Premium Subscriber
Pay close attention to that Youtube link I posted above. That guy runs a 955 that's been modified. Now that you've stepped up in the radio department you will really have to pay close attention to your antenna system. If you don't, you've just thrown approx. $500 over your shoulder! A bad antenna system can and will let the smoke out of a high powered radio!

JD

fuzzy212

Pay close attention to that Youtube link I posted above. That guy runs a 955 that's been modified. Now that you've stepped up in the radio department you will really have to pay close attention to your antenna system. If you don't, you've just thrown approx. $500 over your shoulder! A bad antenna system can and will let the smoke out of a high powered radio!

JD

One thing I need to do is wire the radio direct to the truck. I also went ahead and bought the Stryker SRA10 antenna aswell. If it dosent work I can always use it at the house for something I'm thinking of one day getting my ham license

slowmover

People get hung up on the power of the radio - don't. A cheap radio with less than legal output power hooked to a great antenna will outperform an expensive high power radio hooked to a crap antenna.

Obviously you aren’t dependent on the road for income nor much concern yourself about lowering risk. There are wrecks waiting for you as participant.

Mobile ain’t a base. And plenty of vehicles have problems with antenna mount location, ground plane, and /or total antenna height.

Some juice — across the necessarily less than ideal antenna — fixes problems can’t otherwise be done.

The divisor now (mid-2022) is between radios with or without integrated DSP in the audio. Not strictly price nor power.

Last edited:

CDX951

Premium Subscriber
And a high dollar manly looking coil antenna won't do squat unless it is installed properly and is the right antenna for the vehicle it is being installed on! The OP is going to be disappointed with that Stryker antenna. JMHO.

JD

MILCOMM

People get hung up on the power of the radio - don't. A cheap radio with less than legal output power hooked to a great antenna will outperform an expensive high power radio hooked to a crap antenna.

Keep it legal. It doesn't matter what people tell you about using a RF amp...it is illegal !
And there are stiff fines involved if you get caught!

slowmover

Keep it legal. It doesn't matter what people tell you about using a RF amp...it is illegal !
And there are stiff fines involved if you get caught!

So is running 32-mph in a 30-mph zone. Or “forgetting” to report the $65 won at poker night on income taxes.

Put your N95 back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.