Newby looking to get a SDR Radio.

MavamQ

First question I have a Dell Inspiron computer. Intel core i7-6500U CPU at 2.5Ghz two cores, 4 logical processors.
16G of installed memory. Windows 10, x64 based system.
Is this enough computer to do the job?
My main interest will be LW and MW, but some ham band and I'd like to try the aircraft frequencies.
I don't mind spending $100 or a little more, but if I can do it for less, Great!
I'd prefer simpler setup and operation, but with enough time I can learn ;-)
Thanks, Mikek

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
First question I have a Dell Inspiron computer. Intel core i7-6500U CPU at 2.5Ghz two cores, 4 logical processors.
Yes, I run an SDRPlay and numerous apps to drive said SDR when I'm "out and about" on a Surface Pro tablet with Windows 10 and only 4 gigs RAM. Your specs should be more than enough

Dirk_SDR

A good tutorial to set up RTL-SDR dongles:

The "normal" RTL-SDR dongles have their low frequency limit at 24 MHz, so you cannot receive LF, MF and most parts of HF.
But the newer dongles can receive down to 100 or 500 kHz by "direct sampling" or with an upconverter.
These solutions are a compromise and need a very good antenna.
If you are really interested also in LF and MF, a better choice would be the Airspy HF+ Discovery

tuihill

I bought a Airspy HF+ Discovery last year. With a bit of research and some luck I managed to find and install a Mac OS version of SDR++. Hitched to an 66' Alpha-Delta sloper. Great system.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin

dmchalmers

My main interest will be LW and MW, but some ham band and I'd like to try the aircraft frequencies.
I don't mind spending $100 or a little more, but if I can do it for less, Great!
I'd prefer simpler setup and operation, but with enough time I can learn ;-)
Thanks, Mikek
Glad you asked this Question i asked before but forgot my replies, looking for cheap laptop or tablet operation also.

merlin

Your computer will certainly handle about any SDR.
Now you need to decide the band(s) you wish to monitor. Most common dongle is NooElectric RTL-SDR in different versions.
RTL-SDR v3 is best from 80 Mhz to 1200 Mhz but does work a segment below 50 Mhz.
The v4 is good from 10 Mhz to 7200 Mhz.
Looking for HF from .5 Khz to 31 + 60 to 260 Mhz the Airspy HF+discovery is worth it.
NooElectric dongles will need a driver installed using an app called ZADIG. (free)
Your next choice is your SDR software. SDR# (SDR sharp) is perhaps the most common and there is HDSDR, CUBIC SDR also.
The Airspy comes with its version of SDR# and installs drivers with with the the app.
Now once you get everything installed and running, you may find the best you can receive is strong local FM broadcast.
You get that, you know your setup is working. No faults, you will need a far better antenna, many antenna systems are available,
and this is the start of adding $$ to your setup. This is also the start of your learning curve.
Don't expect the performance of a dedicated receiver, but these SDRs do work and when configured properly, you will find them
well acceptable.
There are multitudes of threads here on RR that can help with about anything related to SDR.
Welcome to the world of computer radio.

Last edited:

merlin

Glad you asked this Question i asked before but forgot my replies, looking for cheap laptop or tablet operation also.
Generally, any laptop running windows 7 or better, a free USB 2 port will run an SDR setup.
If portable is in mind, you will want a "Y" OTG cable, one end for the dongle, the other for power packs like Anker.
Reason is the dongels are power hungry and deplete lappy batteries rather quick.

HamImports

As others have mentioned, your hardware is more than capable, so that's one part of the puzzle solved!

Personally, I absolutely love the SDRplay devices. I've tried many of the others, but none provide the flawless experience you're expecting quite like the SDRplay. The provided SDRuno software is imho second to none. They're also a very widely supported device, so there's nothing stopping you from trying out all the other software out there, to find what you personally get along with, and fits your needs.

MavamQ

Looking for HF from .5 Khz to 31 + 60 to 260 Mhz the Airspy HF+discovery is worth it.
The Airspy HF++Discovery is where I'm leaning, Didn't want to spend that much, but I can.
The Airspy comes with its version of SDR# and installs drivers with with the the app.
That makes for an easy install, I think!
Now once you get everything installed and running, you may find the best you can receive is strong local FM broadcast.
You get that, you know your setup is working. No faults, you will need a far better antenna, many antenna systems are available,
I'm working on a 70ft Superloop with variable termination at this time.
But I have my support poles set so, I can change it to a DKAZ after testing the Superloop.
The link I have been using expired, so I have to go to the wayback machine.

and this is the start of adding $$ to your setup. This is also the start of your learning curve.
Don't expect the performance of a dedicated receiver, but these SDRs do work and when configured properly, you will find them
well acceptable.
That is a bit disappointing. The radio I use now is the Icom R-71A.
There are multitudes of threads here on RR that can help with about anything related to SDR.
Welcome to the world of computer radio.
I'm sure I'll have more questions. :)

dmchalmers

would a dell latitude E5470 hd itel I-5 8gb ram 256 gb ssd windows 10 pro work good for sdr? before i buy one?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The Airspy HF++Discovery is where I'm leaning, Didn't want to spend that much, but I can.

The Airspy Discovery + HF covers 0.5 kHz to 31 MHz plus 60 to 260 MHz for 169.99 (can't do between 32 to 60 mhz or anything over 260 mhz).

The Airspy Mini (99.99) covers Continuous 24 – 1700 MHz, and down to DC with the SpyVerter option (49.99)

So if you ever plan to monitor anything above 260 mhz, you will be limited. If you go with the Airspy Mini with Spyverter, you can go from DC to 1700 mhz for 20 bucks less. Still need proper antennas with either selection.

dmchalmers

Thank you guys or girls! new to this getting ready to take the leap with a dedicated laptop or tablet.

Blueliner

Also a newby here, or should I say newer-by. Been tinkering with SWL radio on and off for decades without being serious about it.

I ventured into SDR and bought the RSP1A using their SDRUno software. Amazing how much can be had from very basics to well beyond my comprehension as a couple times a week listener. I am housed in a rural hill side facing NE with higher ground to the SW and S. Not sure if it is the cause but most MW stations are weak here. I have an "EndFedz EF-SWL wire hung below the 2nd story outdoor deck running in a NE direction. If I remember correctly it is 40' long. Seems to handle most of the SW frequencies Ok. I can also get some of the airport chatter on good days/nights. Also trying out an MLA 30+ powered loop which they say is for 0.5 to 30MHz. Depending upon its orientation, it seems a tad better than the long wire but I'm just getting started with that loop so we'll see. Just downloaded the SDRconnect software 2nd evaluation version. Installed and ran first time with the RSP1A and is very intuitive to use.

In my opinion, can't go wrong with the RS1A and their SDRuno or SDRconnect software. Hours and hours of listing, and antenna experimentation await.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Weighing options | Recommendations:

RTL-SDR Blog v4 500khz to 1.766GHz 8bit ADC without antenna $29.99usd. With antenna kit $39.99
RSP1a 14bit ADC DC to 2GHZ at Ham Radio Outlet price fluctuates between $109 to $124.
Airsphy HF+ Discovery 18bit DDC .5khz to 31MHz then 60 to 260MHz $169.00

I mentioned these 3 because they get the most positive feedback. I also own the RTL-SDR Blog v4 and RSP1a. I enjoy both.
I didn't recommend the RTL-SDR Blog v3 because it gets hot enough to fry an egg. I hope to order a Airspy HF+ Discovery in the future.