NJICS Municipal Migration Discussion - Statewide

NParkNJ

On the Road
FCC ULS database searches are now back up and running. Found 45.42 MHz as an active license for Hawthorne. Former PD frequency. License good until 2024; last renewed in 2014. Perhaps this is their "operations" frequency.

I guess its possible they use lowband, but I highly doubt it. Besides most departments not even having the physical infrastructure for it anymore, a lot of towns that have it licensed don’t have radios or antennas in the patrol cars anymore.

Ringwood still has lowband technically licensed. None of the cars have lowband antennas, or have lowband radios from what I could see. They use NXDN mode for their tac ops.

Wanaque a few years stopped putting lowband in the newer patrol cars. One of the dispatchers told me, “it’s just another radio that takes up space in the smaller newer cars.”

Bloomingdale was the latest to ditch lowband it seems, once they went DMR. None of the cars have lowband antennas now. Even their newest cars did have them. But from the cars I saw they are all gone.

And AFAIK, there is no “low profile” lowband antennas. Oakland, before NJICS(still have the antennas), and West Milford all had the gigantic whips.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Looked at Hawthorne PD and PBAs Facebook pages. All recent photos show officers with the HT1250s they have always had. No Sign of APXs anywhere. Don't know about Mobiles, they did have MCS2000s on UHF and VHF when they upgraded to their current UHF.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Looked at Hawthorne PD and PBAs Facebook pages. All recent photos show officers with the HT1250s they have always had. No Sign of APXs anywhere. Don't know about Mobiles, they did have MCS2000s on UHF and VHF when they upgraded to their current UHF.

West Orange Simulcast tonight. Hello Hawthorne. Should be PD by the RID.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Went through some history on UT Site 7. The following TG’s were found, some but not all have been mentioned in this thread in the past such as 4777. A new group with fair amount of activity is the 51xx series. I did not have RID logging enabled (I do now).
1535Near Red Cross TG
3447Near REMU
4501Near CSX
4589Near EMS
4739Near RWJBH
4741Near RWJBH
4827Near Mtn Valley
4829Near Mtn Valley
5119Near Atlantic
5123Near Atlantic
5125Near Atlantic
5127Near Atlantic
5129Near Atlantic
5131Near Atlantic
5133Near Atlantic

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Went through some history on UT Site 7. The following TG’s were found, some but not all have been mentioned in this thread in the past such as 4777. A new group with fair amount of activity is the 51xx series. I did not have RID logging enabled (I do now).
1535Near Red Cross TG
3447Near REMU
4501Near CSX
4589Near EMS
4739Near RWJBH
4741Near RWJBH
4827Near Mtn Valley
4829Near Mtn Valley
5119Near Atlantic
5123Near Atlantic
5125Near Atlantic
5127Near Atlantic
5129Near Atlantic
5131Near Atlantic
5133Near Atlantic

From my notes:

1535 - Another National Guard TG
3447 - REMU Testing 2
4501 - Seen CSX and NJTPD radios on it
4589 - I have seen Rutgers radios on this
4739 - Union Twp radios seen
4769 - 4787 All NJSP Encrypted
5133 - 254xxxx Radios on this

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
4501 - Seen CSX and NJTPD radios on it

I think it's a statewide railroad police common. The only voice call I've ever heard on it was "NS 4721 to CSX Brown" reference a train at Port Reading Junction in Manville where CSX and NS come together into Conrail Shared Assets. NS 4721 is a Norfolk Southern Railroad Police badge number which is how they normally identify when speaking to their own dispatcher (NS 1000) in Atlanta. Brown was, until very recently, the senior Special Agent in the Albany Division based out of North Bergen.

I know NJTPD, NS Police, and CSX Police all have ICS access in their cars. I'm not sure about Amtrak having access, but they do have both XTS's and APX mobiles.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I posted a number of unknown groups in the main thread, but with several agencies still on VHF low transitioning, I found this one interesting and possibly more relevant to this topic regarding migration. I've only captured two RID's on it. 242060 and 242061, and captures have been on the West Orange Simulcast.

For those playing at home less familiar with the Municipal Tax Identifiers carried over to the NJICS/PSIC, 2420xx would indicate an Oakland unit, and if conforming to the general ranges being used, more than likely Oakland Police. Last I was aware, and as per the database, Oakland was still on 45.560MHz. Which if they follow the trend, would make sense for them to transition. Testing perhaps? Or some unidentified interop group.

Also, all Union County fire departments equipped with ICS/PSIC radios have been directed to utilize the Union County Fire Mutual Aid talkgroups through the system as primary for UCFMA ops, rather than UHF analog. If a company is not so equipped they can continue use the analog multicast for now. But as County 2400 dispatch grows (both user and physical operations facilities wise), they want as much traffic as possible traffic over the ICS.

As of right now the sense is Elizabeth Fire and Kenilworth Police/Fire/EMS will be the absolute last to transition to County. But to quote both Star Trek and a Union County official..."Resistance is futile". Hence the on-going construction in Westfield, expanding County 2400 from 11 dispatch desks/positions to 34 desks/positions.

Last edited:

NParkNJ

On the Road
I posted a number of unknown groups in the main thread, but with several agencies still on VHF low transitioning, I found this one interesting and possibly more relevant to this topic regarding migration. I've only captured two RID's on it. 242060 and 242061, and captures have been on the West Orange Simulcast.

For those playing at home less familiar with the Municipal Tax Identifiers carried over to the NJICS/PSIC, 2420xx would indicate an Oakland unit, and if conforming to the general ranges being used, more than likely Oakland Police. Last I was aware, and as per the database, Oakland was still on 45.560MHz. Which if they follow the trend, would make sense for them to transition. Testing perhaps? Or some unidentified interop group.

View attachment 87910

Also, all Union County fire departments equipped with ICS/PSIC radios have been directed to utilize the Union County Fire Mutual Aid talkgroups through the system as primary for UCFMA ops, rather than UHF analog. If a company is not so equipped they can continue use the analog multicast for now. But as County 2400 dispatch grows (both user and physical operations facilities wise), they want as much traffic as possible traffic over the ICS.

As of right now the sense is Elizabeth Fire and Kenilworth Police/Fire/EMS will be the absolute last to transition to County. But to quote both Star Trek and a Union County official..."Resistance is futile". Hence the on-going construction in Westfield, expanding County 2400 from 11 dispatch desks/positions to 34 desks/positions.

As for Oakland...

On their dispatch channel, 242058 is their clear dispatch console RID. 242059 is their encrypted radio id.

That follows suit for being another console. Only assuming. I have yet to see a unit, mobile or portable that close to the console RID.

They were for the longest time, PD, on 45.98. They now have their NJICS unencrypted traffic patched to 45.98. But it is not full-time, and the audio has gotten much worse in my opinion.

45.56 is unfamiliar to me. Perhaps an old frequency they used for PD years ago.

Fire/EMS is still on 46.56 156.7

NParkNJ

On the Road
That TG, 4917, would only make sense to be their tactical/channel 2.

Did you see if it was full time E?

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
As for Oakland...

On their dispatch channel, 242058 is their clear dispatch console RID. 242059 is their encrypted radio id.

That follows suit for being another console. Only assuming. I have yet to see a unit, mobile or portable that close to the console RID.

They were for the longest time, PD, on 45.98. They now have their NJICS unencrypted traffic patched to 45.98. But it is not full-time, and the audio has gotten much worse in my opinion.

45.56 is unfamiliar to me. Perhaps an old frequency they used for PD years ago.

Fire/EMS is still on 46.56 156.7

Shows you how long it's been since I paid attention up that way. I haven't seen any grants to be able to speak as to encryption, just logins @NParkNJ. But that leaves the question, so if 4819 is their Dispatch, what the hell is 4817? Probably Tac right?

As to sounding like crap, yeah, digital voice over analog tends to have that effect.

Last edited:

Alarmguy

Premium Subscriber
Shows you how long it's been since I paid attention up that way. I haven't seen any grants to be able to speak as to encryption, just logins @NParkNJ. But that leaves the question, so if 4819 is their Dispatch, what the hell is 4817? Probably Tac right?

As to sounding like crap, yeah, digital voice over analog tends to have that effect.
Maybe its Oakland FD testing? They use Lowband then go to Highband 151.3775 for Simplex ops.

Alarmguy

Premium Subscriber
Yes PD Dispatches FD on 46.5600 then FD goes to Highband for Ops. There is also a Crossband repeater that is used to repeat 46.5600 and did 45.9800 when PD was on it in UHF. Since PD2 is the Main TG with E enabled I don't see why they would need a TAC, but keep an eye on it. I'm sure FD command vehicles have NJICS radios to monitor PD comms. Most towns that have PD Trunked or on another band are monitored by FD command responding units.

CastorLB

Premium Subscriber
Holmdel RIDs 1320500 - 1320505 affiliating to TG 4931, 4933, 4935, 4937, 4939 and 5153 today at 14:24. I'm guessing they were console IDs since I got only one affiliating to each TG.

Last edited: