Norwich PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAntiDigital

Nothing reported in the local newspaper of any serious cases going on.

In fact only somewhat of concern was a car accident that knocked out power to an area of the city on December 16th or 17th. (Unless it was involving one of our big time elected officials in trouble).

The fact that this channel can be encrypted has prevented me from spending money on any new scanner.

I spent about $500 a few months ago on a Uniden and found I live in the cross hairs of some area that can Not receive the NPD.

Then a friend who had a similar concern bought a SDS model for $600 - $700 dollars. He was then picking up the NPD.

But now if this encryption thing starts to kick in, "It's basically all over".

I believe those days are quickly approaching us. We are seeing more and more use of encryption today. The future of Emergency Radio Monitoring.

I wish you all a very Happy and Healthy Holiday Season.

Thorndike113

Been watching some other ID's coming across the scanner and they are encrypted. Judging by the pattern of the numbers I am guessing they are Norwich Police.

Dont know if I am correct on it, but its the best guess I can come up with.

Reconrider

Been watching some other ID's coming across the scanner and they are encrypted. Judging by the pattern of the numbers I am guessing they are Norwich Police.

Dont know if I am correct on it, but its the best guess I can come up with.
I haven't gotten that on CLMRN. That one might be only for that site.

Log the radio IDs and then compare them to those that you have from the first one.
I can send a list of what I have logged if you want.

Thorndike113

Log the radio IDs

I am actually watching a scanner feed from a friends scanner. I can see the ID/alpha tag pop up but thats about it. The person in question lives in Norwich so its possible they keep their radio traffic on that part of the system only.

Reconrider

I am actually watching a scanner feed from a friends scanner. I can see the ID/alpha tag pop up but thats about it. The person in question lives in Norwich so its possible they keep their radio traffic on that part of the system only.
Ahh dang. See if he would get an sdr and upload it to the bcalls. I could gather the radio IDs and make a list to compare.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Certainly in the Norwich range. The Norwich IDs would be 104xxxx.
If you see Municipal TGIDs that match up with the RIDs following the Tax Town ID formula, it is almost certainly a legit talkgroup. If you have a weak signal and see a mismatched numbers or if you see a small town with a group in the upper range of the 100 assigned groups, it may be bogus.

chris

Reconrider

Certainly in the Norwich range. The Norwich IDs would be 104xxxx.
If you see Municipal TGIDs that match up with the RIDs following the Tax Town ID formula, it is almost certainly a legit talkgroup. If you have a weak signal and see a mismatched numbers or if you see a small town with a group in the upper range of the 100 assigned groups, it may be bogus.

chris
I have '1851096' as an affiliate with norwich pd.
I'm not sure how to see who it is but you saying 104xxxx made me check my list again
Edit: 2021/02/25 12:10 is when dsd logged that rid

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
Yes I heard a prison or two this week. I had never heard one before Just endless transit of prisoners day and night LOL.

MrAntiDigital

In a somewhat related topic, according to a New London Day Newspaper article titled: "Norwich starts work on fire study recommendations" dated March 1, 2021, there is some talk that both the career and local volunteer fire depts, might be merging on the same telecommunications network that the Norwich Police switched to in 2019.

According to the Police Chief at police headquarters, the location of the 911 Emergency Center Answering Point, he says: the transmission antennas are already in place and that the system works great for the police dispatch.

He does say that the city would need to purchase portable and mobile radios

Thorndike113

LOL I want all their old VHF equipment when they throw it out. :LOL:

I could make good use of it all up here in Maine. VHF works awesome up where I live. Maybe see if I cant slap a system together for myself.

MrAntiDigital

Thorndike113, exactly.

Currently the paid Norwich Fire Dept operates on the VHF band (154.205). It is a very good system with very few problems. They cover an area called the City Consolidated District, aka the CCD.

The surrounding five volunteer departments, Yantic, East Great Plains, Taftville, Laurel Hill, and Occum Fire Depts cover a different tax district called the Town Consolidated District, aka TCD. They operate on the low band of 33.66.

When both the CCD and TCD respond together the dispatcher can just use the Simulcast button for messages over both bands at the same time. But instead they talk of buying all new radios.

According to the recent Fire Dept study there are 49 pieces of fire apparatus in this city to cover a population of about 40,000 people.

Plus add in the portable radios that would need to be replaced, plus the apparatus. The cost could be very shocking when the push of ONE Button could eliminate that.

Here is the link for the article.

www.theday.com/local-news/20210301/norwich-starts-work-on-fire-study-recommendations

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Getting Norwich PD TG-20401 on the Troop I site today for a few transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.