Norwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
That’s the one that works perfect for me
I’m about 10 miles from troop e. I have all the bars on my 996p2.

coolrich55

Thanks George. That's the K site cc and is full power at my location. The E cc for me is hit or miss. I'm also 5 minutes from the border of D's jurisdiction and can't get their towers cc at all. The K site must be pointed just right for me to get it. All I have is the Pro 668 with a stock antenna. Compared to the old system, this one is very finicky.

55engine

Premium Subscriber
I’m in the Hartford area can you guys tell me what IDs are for Norwich and are they full time on the system and is it worth for me to drive all the way down to Norwich to pick them up

cg

Premium Subscriber
Since Norwich is located along the border between the two Troop areas and has a bit of elevation away from the water, it would be expected for the City radios to reach both Troop K Simulcast (CC 853.9125) and Troop E Simulcast (CC 773.93125) sites. Since there are a fair number of NPD radios. It is very likely that there will be an affiliation on each of those sites almost all the time and therefore the traffic would be heard on both sites.

chris

MrAntiDigital

An Era Comes to an End. I moved to Norwich in 1975 and the Norwich Police Dispatch had always been on the low band. But I think a change was long overdue. I'm sure that "Imonitorit" and "George4997" remember when a foot pursuit was going on involving a Norwich Police Officer who had come upon an active robbery taking place in the Occum section of the city. Shots were being exchanged between the suspect and the police officer, yet nobody could hear that officer requesting help using his radio.

That is only one example of why this change was required. It's only a miracle that innocent people were not injured or worse because of this on going system. Listening to some of the incidents, I can NOT imagine what it must have been like for those police officers in need of help or for the dispatchers trying to make out what was going on.

When the Norwich Fire Department changed to its high band frequency in the early 1990s, it was also suggested that the Norwich Police Dept do the same. Of course that did NOT happen and 30 years went by before a change for the best had to take place.

Speaking from experience, I can safely say there has been very little problem with that 154... frequency that the Norwich Fire Dept uses. There is a main dispatch channel using a repeater system, a talk around frequency on that channel that does not go through the repeater, and a fireground handie talkie frequency. It all works fine. It includes other high band channels such as the Norwich Public Utilities, local Civil Preparedness, and American Ambulance Service. However, I am not aware when they have ever been used.

Thank you to all those who have taken the time to contribute information regarding this changeover.

Last edited:

MrAntiDigital

Over the last 24 hours or so (Fri-Sat) I have heard very little over this new police dispatch channel. I have heard one unit call and say: "I am on Lake St", but very little other than that. No police calls dispatched at all. I know the same has been happening to member "georged4997". Prior to now, he reported that he was hearing the Norwich Police Dispatch well from his home in Baltic.
I live on a street in Norwich that is one of the highest points in city. I think about 350 feet above sea level with an outside roof mounted antenna. Yet I'm hearing nothing.
Are other members here NOT receiving the Norwich Police Dispatch that were receiving them earlier ?
Anybody know whats going on. My only guess might be because of some cities having police radios stolen during some of the most recent protest. Maybe some police depts. are now broadcasting on other channels for dispatch.
I believe NYC is doing that and some channels are no longer operating as before, such as NYPD SOD

cg

Premium Subscriber
I really don't think they would shut off the new radios. If one is stolen, they can do all sorts of neat things including shutting it off to where it needs to be reprogrammed.
Norwich PD is working over the Troop E Simulcast as of 10 am. You may need to try the 773.93125 control channel for Troop E and not the 853.9125 control channel for Troop K Simulcast

chris

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
I have all troop e’s. In my radio, I added 853.9125 to the radio. I just tried taking out the 853.9125. Now I don’t have a signal .
I hear very little on Norwich Police. I’m wondering if the calls are going over the MDTs
Or a different frequency. I have a bcd 996p2
50 ft of lmr 400 and a Dpd production antenna 6 ft above a two story house

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you are not close enough to get the 773.93125 control channel you probably will not hear the NPD traffic as they may well have blocked that talkgroup from Troop K sites.
I don't know why Bill can't hear them unless he doesn't have Troop E's site programmed his radio

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
All troop e frequencies are in his radio and mine. I did the programming. He’s in Norwich high up on a hill, I’m in a valley. Do they dispatch troop e from troop k? Or from troop e s. Barracks?

cg

Premium Subscriber
It has nothing to do with Troop E as a barracks, it has to do with where the towers are. Hit Hold on the scanner then scroll the channels until you get to 773.93125. If you see anything on the meter (little lines in upper right corner) you can get the E Simulcast. If you can't you are out of luck unless and until Norwich is back on Troop K's site.

coolrich55

I still haven't been able to determine if Norwich is coming over the K and E sites at all times or what. I hear alot on the K site. But not sure what I'm missing. Pretty sure the E site always has Norwich traffic.

MrAntiDigital

I have been monitoring the Norwich Police now for about 3 days. I do hear some radio traffic but very little.

Prior to the recent protests etc., I was told the radio traffic on their new digital system was working well and their normal number of calls were being dispatched.

However, these days there is little if any radio traffic at all. An hour or two can go by before ANYTHING is heard and I live in Norwich, about 300 feet above sea level with an outside roof mounted antenna.

Whether they are putting the calls out some other way such as MDTs, cellphones, etc I don't know.

I do know this. When the coronavirus first kicked in I called the NPD on their routine number regarding a bicycle that was found in my front yard. I assumed it stolen and was just dropped off there. With the coronavirus in full swing, I was told that the police are limiting their responses to emergencies only. I had no problem with that and I understood the concern for the officers safety.

But could things these days be that quite ?

As I grew up in Bridgeport, whenever I was down there to visit family members, the Bridgeport Police was ALWAYS one of my favorites to listen to. But these days that does NOT happen as the radios are encrypted. Well, it took a long time for me to get used to NOT Listening to one of my favorites. But eventually, I learned to just accept it. "Its Over". Seems, I'll have to do the same with the NPD.

After spending the money on a brand new scanner recently to be able to listen to the Norwich Police, it seems I wasted thst money. I had planned to buy two more but I doubt it now.

I'm just very happy that I'm a pretty old guy and got to hear things for decades and enjoy this hobby.

Thank you for all those who have offered their assistance involving this issue.

cg

Premium Subscriber
be sure you haven't locked out anything important and perhaps even reprogram the radio again. I haven't been down that way since February but you should be getting decent traffic. I would expect if you hear the FD go out on a crash, you would be getting PD dispatches for sure.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.