SDS100/SDS200: Not finding CC

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
This may happen to the SDS200 also as well as others models, but I've confirmed it on my SDS100.

Randomly I turn my SDS100 on and it will show it's sitting on a frequency and will show "DATA", but the system ID, site number and RFSS are blank and it won't receive any calls. Today I confirmed it finds an active IV&D (data) channel being used before it finds a CC and stays on that. A power cycle usually clears this, assuming it finds a CC before a data channel. I don't recall my x36HP series ever doing this. I've seen others report this symptom as well.

I guess a fix is to delete all but the known CC's as those shouldn't be in the IV&D rotation I believe (but I'm not positive about, I'll have to check).

Maybe this can be added to the "list". ;)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm just assuming Kevin that you have all other bases covered and this is the radio and not your approach, antenna, change of location, all back up CCs entered ect.

The radio is getting tickled but can't lock on, it's almost like the system is out of range but obviously you're picking it up fine at other times. I haven't experienced this on either radio but it certainly does sound like it's one for the list.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
This may happen to the SDS200 also as well as others models, but I've confirmed it on my SDS100.

Randomly I turn my SDS100 on and it will show it's sitting on a frequency and will show "DATA", but the system ID, site number and RFSS are blank and it won't receive any calls. Today I confirmed it finds an active IV&D (data) channel being used before it finds a CC and stays on that. A power cycle usually clears this, assuming it finds a CC before a data channel. I don't recall my x36HP series ever doing this. I've seen others report this symptom as well.

I guess a fix is to delete all but the known CC's as those shouldn't be in the IV&D rotation I believe (but I'm not positive about, I'll have to check).

Maybe this can be added to the "list". ;)
I've seen my SDS200, as well, occasionally 'double parked' on a system. I'll have to look closer & see if I'm also 'data' but blank IDs, site, etc.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
I'm just assuming Kevin that you have all other bases covered and this is the radio and not your approach, antenna, change of location, all back up CCs entered ect.

The radio is getting tickled but can't lock on, it's almost like the system is out of range but obviously you're picking it up fine at other times. I haven't experienced this on either radio but it certainly does sound like it's one for the list.

I'm a pretty smart fella, so I'm sure this is what's happening. I'm well within coverage, no changes before this happens and it fixes itself via a power cycle almost every time.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
I've removed all but the 2 possible CC"s from the frequency list. We'll see what happens.

Oh yeah, if your system doesn't have IV&D you'll never experience this.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm a pretty smart fella, so I'm sure this is what's happening. I'm well within coverage, no changes before this happens and it fixes itself via a power cycle almost every time.
Of course, and that's why I carefully worded my reply to say, you had all bases covered from the get-go, I went right to... there's a problem with the radio that needs attention.

At this stage......... I know who all the smart fellows are:sneaky:.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
ASTRO 25 channels flagged as control capable can also carry data traffic.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If the data channel dekeys, I assume the scanner will cycle back around to the actual control channel. Unfortunately as you well know, those data channels can stayed keyed for quite some time, especially at busy sites.

I suspect that the scanner is seeing something in the data traffic channel that it mistakes as control channel signaling. There was recently a similar issue with Unitrunker, where it would get hung up on a non-control channel due to the signaling that was similar enough to a control channel.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
If the site has NAC, enable it. You could be getting interference from another distant control channel.

Not the issue, I can guarantee that. If was a distant system I'd see the system ID, site number and whatever else. I have the same signal strength on the IV&D channel as I do once it actually locks on the CC.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
I think I just confirmed it. I removed the 2 CC frequencies from the list and just left all the other frequencies. It will randomly land on the IV&D frequency, stay there and show "Data".

And trust me, it's NOT some distant system causing the issue. ;)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I think I just confirmed it. I removed the 2 CC frequencies from the list and just left all the other frequencies. It will randomly land on the IV&D frequency, stay there and show "Data".

And trust me, it's NOT some distant system causing the issue. ;)
Yup, it's picking up some of that signaling and getting fooled into thinking it's a control channel. Not surprised in the least, tbh.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Yup, it's picking up some of that signaling and getting fooled into thinking it's a control channel. Not surprised in the least, tbh.

Which explains why I never had this happen on a different site I frequently listen to, I just checked it and only have the 2 possible CC's programmed in. This site had all the site freqs.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Have you tried IFX on the site frequencies?
I know you're trying to be helpful, but you're not understanding what Kevin is illustrating here. He's not asking for help with an issue that has him confused, he's pointing out a deficiency in the SDS series when it encounters a data channel on an ASTRO 25 system. It has nothing to do with the site NAC or distant control channels or intermod or (fill in the blank).

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for this observation.