November 2019 Public Safety radio updates in SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I will call to you attention several recent updates to public safety radio systems in South Carolina -

- A submission indicates that Marion County has transitioned from their older, dedicated analog trunked radio system to Palmetto 800 this past week. I have posted the talkgroups that have been indentified and submitted thus far. The submission does not indicate anything regarding encryption being used on talkgroups, or what sites (beyond the Marion County site) are carrying these talkgroups. It's also unclear at this time if there is any active use of the old trunked radio system, or if it's still on the air. Once I have confirmation that the system has been removed from service, I'll deprecate the database entry for that system. I have removed links to the old Marion County trunked radio system from the subcategory headings on the Marion County database page and replaced them with links to Palmetto 800.

- A submission indicates that a new Palmetto 800 site has been brought online recently in Berkeley County. It's site 6 RFSS 1, it is using 700MHz frequencies, and is a simulcast site, as now listed on the Palmetto 800 database page. I assume that the other "original" Berkeley County sites (Moncks Corner and Russellville) are still online and operating normally. I don't have confirmation, but this could be a similar situation to Charleston County where the county operates and county agencies exclusively use the simulcast site, while state agencies and agencies from other counties use the original sites. If anyone is in the Berkeley County area and advise on how the various sites are being used, please post details.

- Seneca PD in Oconee County is now reported to be using an encrypyed UHF DMR channel.

- I haven't seen any updates in the last week or two, but it appears that Darlington County Fire Departments and EMS are working to transition to Palmetto 800 in the near future. I understand from other posts that they have recently had trouble with their VHF radio systems and have been using Palmetto 800 as a temporary solution, using some of the SC Mutual Aid talkgroups. It's been indicated that Darlington Co EMS will move to Palmetto 800 full-time before the end of the year.

If you have any other timely news of interest to radio hobbyists in South Carolina, please post comments.

Last edited:

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
Seneca just changed from NXDN a couple of weeks ago to DMR. I asked one of the policemen if they changed and he wouldn't tell me nothing. Found that odd cause I'm friends with some of them.

I did not mean that Seneca is DMR but Oconee County Sheriff's Office is DMR. I am sorry for the confusion. If Oconee is DMR it would be easier for them to communicate with the sheriff's office if they were DMR.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Per information in a submission, I have updated frequencies and location data for the Marion County Simulcast site. The submission notes that the old Marion County system is now off the air and the frequencies from that system have been merged with the Palmetto 800 simulcast site. There are new sites located in Nichols and Brittons Neck that are not part of the Marion County simulcast site. These have been added to the database listing.

Carlos29532

Premium Subscriber
I will call to you attention several recent updates to public safety radio systems in South Carolina -

- A submission indicates that Marion County has transitioned from their older, dedicated analog trunked radio system to Palmetto 800 this past week. I have posted the talkgroups that have been indentified and submitted thus far. The submission does not indicate anything regarding encryption being used on talkgroups, or what sites (beyond the Marion County site) are carrying these talkgroups. It's also unclear at this time if there is any active use of the old trunked radio system, or if it's still on the air. Once I have confirmation that the system has been removed from service, I'll deprecate the database entry for that system. I have removed links to the old Marion County trunked radio system from the subcategory headings on the Marion County database page and replaced them with links to Palmetto 800.

- A submission indicates that a new Palmetto 800 site has been brought online recently in Berkeley County. It's site 6 RFSS 1, it is using 700MHz frequencies, and is a simulcast site, as now listed on the Palmetto 800 database page. I assume that the other "original" Berkeley County sites (Moncks Corner and Russellville) are still online and operating normally. I don't have confirmation, but this could be a similar situation to Charleston County where the county operates and county agencies exclusively use the simulcast site, while state agencies and agencies from other counties use the original sites. If anyone is in the Berkeley County area and advise on how the various sites are being used, please post details.

- Seneca PD in Oconee County is now reported to be using an encrypyed UHF DMR channel.

- I haven't seen any updates in the last week or two, but it appears that Darlington County Fire Departments and EMS are working to transition to Palmetto 800 in the near future. I understand from other posts that they have recently had trouble with their VHF radio systems and have been using Palmetto 800 as a temporary solution, using some of the SC Mutual Aid talkgroups. It's been indicated that Darlington Co EMS will move to Palmetto 800 full-time before the end of the year.

If you have any other timely news of interest to radio hobbyists in South Carolina, please post comments.
Update on DARCO Fire and EMS. As of this week, the county is on the 800 P25. I have not found the talkgroups for them as of yet. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.