NSRS new system

E5911

Premium Subscriber
From what I can gather the upgrade to P25 Phase 2 is underway, Are the same frequencies going to be used or are they planning to use the Nevada pool of 700 frequencies? Just haven't seen anything yet

KG7PBS

Yes the 700 pool for Nevada will be used. There going to be a few new Agencies added to the system. One will be mineral County. And maybe more only time well tell who else joins Expect a lot of encryption.

KG7PBS

Well I am told there are some agencies already on it. So we will have to wait and see. 737mech thanks for your monitoring of the system

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Display shows LNK P25 LNK DAT during tones I think P25 phase 1 for this tone tgid?
P25 appears if the channel is receiving digitalized voice in Receive/Hold Modes (Disp. Unit ID Off-BCD436HP only).
PT0 appears if the channel is receiving Phase II time slot 0.
PT1 appears if the channel is receiving Phase II time slot 1.
PX0 appears if the channel is receiving X2 time slot 0.
PX1 appears if the channel is receiving X2 time slot 1.
PRV appears if the channel is receiving ProVoice.
DMR appears if the channel is receiving DMR Tier I/II.
CAP appears if the channel is receiving a Capcity+ system.
CON appears if the channel is receiving a Connection+ system.
DT3 appears if the channel is a Tier III control channel.
S1/S2 appears to show DMR slot assignment.
LNK appears when data is received on a voice channel in Receive/Hold Modes.
DAT appears when data is received on a control channel in Receive/Hold Modes.

Last edited:

n4njj

Sin City Repeater Network
I heard from a reputable source that the system will be in testing starting this week. For how long? No one knows. The vendor has been using the system intermittently. Sounds like subscribers will be starting their own agency testing now. I was also told to expect full encryption. The days of NSRS EDACS are coming to an end, friends.

KG7PBS

I heard from a reputable source that the system will be in testing starting this week. For how long? No one knows. The vendor has been using the system intermittently. Sounds like subscribers will be starting their own agency testing now. I was also told to expect full encryption. The days of NSRS EDACS are coming to an end, friends.

You know they always say Full Encryption. I really don’t think that going to happen you know why. Because the test talk groups would be encrypted from the get go. California is building it’s state wide system right now. And it has TGs that have never been in the clear. And TGs that are in the clear. I bet DOT will have a few Encrypted TGs but mostly in the Clear.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
there is the whole issue of non public safety PAYING for encryption, and even some public safety agencies will not pay for the encryption unless there is a hell of a deal, the days of ADP being sold for free with the radio are over, and when you are spending the money NDF will be spending You may not want to add $500 per radio...

Hooligan

there is the whole issue of non public safety PAYING for encryption, and even some public safety agencies will not pay for the encryption unless there is a hell of a deal, the days of ADP being sold for free with the radio are over, and when you are spending the money NDF will be spending You may not want to add $500 per radio...

Methinks you know-not of what you speak.

The new system isn't going to be /v\otorola, where it's generally safe to assume the customers will be price-gouged for every feature. The new system contractor, L3Harris is much more friendly & accommodating towards their customers, even with AES-256, though there is an added infrastructure cost for secure Key Management Services, Over the Air ReKeying, etc. Securing the entire system is somewhat easier than picking & choosing which subscribers & which channels to encrypt, and certainly the argument can be made that NV Energy operational communications require security considerations as part of critical infrastructure.

n4njj

Sin City Repeater Network
Methinks you know-not of what you speak.

The new system isn't going to be /v\otorola, where it's generally safe to assume the customers will be price-gouged for every feature. The new system contractor, L3Harris is much more friendly & accommodating towards their customers, even with AES-256, though there is an added infrastructure cost for secure Key Management Services, Over the Air ReKeying, etc. Securing the entire system is somewhat easier than picking & choosing which subscribers & which channels to encrypt, and certainly the argument can be made that NV Energy operational communications require security considerations as part of critical infrastructure.
Exactly what Hooligan said. L3Harris worked hard to get this contract after the Open Sky fiasco. Encryption is much easier on a Harris. Most of this system, if not the entire system is reportedly going to be encrypted.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
Just going off personal experience, and what I knew of the Desert Sky debacle
Where i work, Whole Sections are not required to have encryption, and each section pays for their own, sooo they decided to get radios without AES There was no Single model, hardware at the sites is standardized but radios are allover the map. And its Motorola, so there's that.

BTW, most of the system encrypted...including NDOT and NV energy and folks like that?
And yeah, all Moto here in AZ, and the DOD, USMC here tried Harris, there were issues, not sure what.

Last edited:

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
10737 NHP LV-1 > 65297
10738 NHP LV-2
10743 NHP LV-4 > 65297
10890 NDOT Reno Roads 1
10891 NDOT Vegas Roads 1
61041 NV Energy Trouble 1
61055 Patched from 08-037
61129 NV Energy LV System Control South
61130 NV Energy LV System Control North
61131 NV Energy Trouble Desk
61132 NV Energy Transmission
61150 Patched from 08-156
64025 Techs & Tones
64051 Techs & Tones
65297 Patched from Multiple TGs

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Are we entering the talkgroups into the database now or waiting until the final phase?

I think things should go into the database as soon as they are confirmed. If the final phase changes the talkgroups then the database should change at that time. If I took a trip into Nevada right now I would want the latest that members have confirmed.