• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5700 DMR Programming

KPG-D1N v5.01

This is a personal mobile radio that I use for both P25 Public Safety and trying to use for DMR for ham. Pretty comfortable with Analog and P25 (conventional) programming on this radio. I have an Anytone handheld for DMR and that’s functional.

In the Kenwood, I’ve created a DMR Personality and have my ID in there, loaded a zone for a local repeater and the zone has multiple channels. Each channel is designed to be a specific talk group. My brain is thinking Channel = TG and I can select that channel and TX & RX only that TG for the channel I’m on.

For TX in the channel, Kenwood has a field named “Selcall on PTT” and that is set to Group Call and the group ID set to the TG number. I’m essentially mirroring my Anytone but there is not “Contacts” field in Kenwood - I’m missing the selection where I would assume I need to input the TG in to RX to the correct TG.

There is a field called Group ID Scan that is an on/off selection. If I have that on, then I can TX to the parrot TG and hear the return and the system monitoring tools validate my connection to the repeater and system. I’m assuming if I leave that on, then I will hear all traffic for all TGs that are active on the repeater in my Group ID list.

Good news is that most ham DMR repeaters only have a couple of TGs per time slot that are ‘on’ all the time. The rest are PTT but I’m thinking if someone is on the Worldwide TG and my radio has Group ID Scan on and the WW TG is in my Group ID list then I’m going to listen to all this, even if I don’t want to.

So, I’m looking for the way to set the RX to only the TG (Channel) that I have selected.

Is anyone familiar with the KPG-D1N CPS for ham DMR? Is any of this making sense? ;-)

Thank you,

/Jeff

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Under the "Channel Edit", uncheck "Group ID Scan (DMR)"
1709687096467.png

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I should mention, I have it checked above because I want to hear another TG come through if there is activity. You are looking to uncheck it.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
This is where D1N kinda falls on its face. It sounds like you are there as far as assigning IDs. Kenwood does not have "Contacts". You assign individual or group IDs under the appropriate list in DMR. This will set the ID for receive on the channel but not the transmit. You have found the Selcall On PTT and selected the same ID as receive. This will transmit the correct ID every time you key the mic. The headache is in your personality for Selcall on PTT the selection labeled ID List Selection is not the list from DMR, it's the actual ID number of the list which you need to declare under Personal Features. Very confusing!

While Mototrbo (and others) require a contact ID, Kenwood does not. Freq, color code and slot is all you need for group communications. To make it compatible with Mototrbo then Selcall On PTT must be used.