TRX-1: NXDN issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdeveau2010

Hi, Just got my TRX-1 seems to be working fine, I live about a mile away from a business that uses NXDN, I have a tapped scanner and dsd that allows me to hear that business, that works great, but when I use the TRX-1 I get nothing, I can hear the DMR radios fine with TRX-1 , but no nxdn, sometimes it will land on an active frequency, but no sound, This business only has 5 frequencies, so i used the conventional nxdx programming on the software ( I dislike whistlers software alot ) anyone know if I am doing something wrong or has anyone got a fix? thanks

Paul

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are several threads in this forum about the NXDN implementation on the TRX-1 and 2. Bottom line is that it's very spotty- sometimes works, many times not. Search them out.

To me it's very beta-ish, after reading all the reports. Not yet ready for prime time, I'm afraid.

Mike

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
When I first programed the radio manually with the NXDN system I bought the radio for in the first place I was initially impressed by the audio and reception. It wasn't long before I realized I was missing transmissions and replies were coming in late. It also appeared to fall asleep and not work at all after time. I have to turn it off and on to wake it up. This system is the only reason I paid the big bucks. The radios do not work on any of the P2 systems I need to monitor in my area. I use a 536 and apx 7000 for those systems. I assume that the X2 tdma phase 2 systems will never work on these radios as no fix that works has been offered yet. On NXDN a dwell time of 2 seconds and a threshold of 50 lo and 95 hi helps slightly but it still DOES NOT WORK. I would assume the problem here is you have found the technology but are trying to stuff it in an old radio that can't handle it. We need a response from the company as a lot of money is being spent here. Any consumer considering buying these radios for these two modes keep in mind they may not work for the systems you want to monitor. The time is fast approaching that the Whistler company needs to offer the modes as advertised or stop claiming that the radios are capable of receiving them. It is a consumer protection and false advertising issue. Thank you for listening.

Last edited:

pdeveau2010

yep

Yes I have done all the required up grades, the scanner will stop on an active frequency, but no audio , then after that it won't even stop on active transmissions, not sure if this is a hardware issue or software issue, like I said my DSD set up works great , but this trx-1 won't or can't decode NXDN, I see alot of other people here say that it either works or it doesn't, so I am at a standstill as far as nxdn goes

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
If I may make a suggestion: use the Whistler "bug reports" email address and let Whistler know what your issues are. We need to report our issues to them in order to get things working properly.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I did try it on conventional NXDN and found some transmissions dropped off in mid sentance the same way they do in the trunked mode. I sure hope they find a fix because the audio sounds great when it works. I'm very disappointed that the P2 systems don't work and it doesn't look like they will ever find a solution for that or they would have already (yes I know all about a consumer scanner not being able to handle LSM so if that's the case stop claiming it can). It's going to come to a head as more 700 X2 tdma P2 systems come online. It really is a consumer protection and false advertising issue. Buyer beware... OP try programming the system in manually not using EZ scan. You should be getting some audio even though it will be broken up with missed transmissions.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Yes I have done all the required up grades, the scanner will stop on an active frequency, but no audio , then after that it won't even stop on active transmissions,

Yes, that's what me and others are seeing and discussing in other threads since the NXDN update came out. For me the only way it decodes NXDN is using the Limit Search mode. It works great that way, it decodes the audio perfectly and it shows all the info like TG, RID, RAN, NXDN type, etc.

When I program NXDN frequencies as trunked or conventional, it doesn't decode at all, neither in scanning mode or paused/manual. I can confirm is receiving something due to the signal meter going full and then going to the Limit Search and hear it decoding fine there on the same frequency. It's almost like something is keeping it from opening squelch or not letting the audio through in any other mode. (And yes, I've tried EVERY SINGLE setting combo I can think of, from keeping everything completely open and in Auto mode, to entering all the specific settings like RAN, TG, Type, etc. but I'm open for suggestions).

Weird enough, the only 2 frequencies that get decoded on programmed mode (and these might be the only Type-D I have come across) are two that the radio shows as full time encrypted but I have to wonder if they really are because in Search mode I see on other frequencies random/glitch-y stuff like talkgroups sometimes switch between Type-C and Type-D and towards the beginning or end of a voice transmission you can hear/see a brief Encryption false detect.

Limit Search has it's own set of little bugs, like some frequencies just don't want to lock out, and part of it has to do with having Flexstep enabled. And some of the settings like Delay, can't seem to be disabled. But that's stuff for another thread/bug report.

Yes, I also submitted it most of this to the Whistler bug reports and tried all the suggestions so far from people online and offline. At this point the ball I think is in Whistler's court and they need to address it, in my opinion.

johnk9deputy

Premium Subscriber
I have both the uniden and the whistler trx2, for the tdma the county I live in one of the city's uses p2
system and the tdma works good. I have been working with a tech at whistler on the issues I see with the trx2. the nxdn does not work that well here in Fla, we have a bunch of nxdn system and it just scans and never picks up and if it does it a quick pice of the transmission and then its gone again.
and I have tried everyway to program this system and no luck either way.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
I'm not having any luck with NXDN on a new TRX-2 (yes, I updated the firmware), either in programmed or Limit Search mode. Hugely disappointing. I'm hoping Whistler comes out with an update soon...

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The only time my NXDN drops is when I am a few blocks from a 100 watt transmitter on an adjacent frequency 460.350 and 460.450 ect and I expect not to hear then as soon as the transmitter drops I receive NXDN DMR again as expected.

pdeveau2010

limit search

hi I do receive nxdn in limit search but the scanner will not lock on to the signal most of the time, I paused the channel search on the active frequency and sometimes it locks on and sometimes it does not, when I use dsd, no problems, so I think at least in my case I am stuck until whistler comes out with a better nxdn version.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
So would y'all rather Whistler waited to release ANY NXDN before the bugs were worked out, or released what they have now, and work the bugs out while we experiment with it in the meantime?

It isn't perfect for me either, some NXDN I just can't hear, others are loud and clear. And yes, P25 is hit or miss. But I believe overall my TRX-1 is a great scanner, well worth the money, and I am glad I have the DMR and NXDN to play with in the meantime.

I believe fixes will be out here and there for issues. Cut them a little slack, this is a new scanner, and new scanner technology (NXDN ability) that no other scanner has ever had before. I am certain they are monitoring our concerns, and not just ignoring them.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
So would y'all rather Whistler waited to release ANY NXDN before the bugs were worked out, or released what they have now, and work the bugs out while we experiment with it in the meantime?

It isn't perfect for me either, some NXDN I just can't hear, others are loud and clear. And yes, P25 is hit or miss. But I believe overall my TRX-1 is a great scanner, well worth the money, and I am glad I have the DMR and NXDN to play with in the meantime.

I believe fixes will be out here and there for issues. Cut them a little slack, this is a new scanner, and new scanner technology (NXDN ability) that no other scanner has ever had before. I am certain they are monitoring our concerns, and not just ignoring them.

I'm fine with how they did it. I can't speak for others. I'm cutting them slack and being patient and talking about the issues and observations with as much possible details as I can to hopefully help them resolve them. Just like I do with the Uniden radios too. How else are they going to know something's wrong and how to fix it?

P25 performance has always been great for me. All scanners have problems with any simulcast systems, regardless of being P25 or not. DMR works good for me too. Now we're discussing the issues with NXDN most are having.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber

Oh, my comments weren't complaints, just observations. I'm glad to be hearing any NXDN, imperfect though it is. I've quickly become a Whistler fan, so consider slack cut 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.