NYPD Call Signs

Lauta

Hello everyone!
I am on a project looking for and trying to put together a listing of NYPD unit Call Signs.
I understand that the patrol ones are the patrol number + the sector letter, example 27 Adam.
But I have doubts with all the rest:
How are the callsigns of an ESU operator?
How are the callsigns of a Patrol Sergeant?
And of a Detective?
Beyond that there are a lot of call signs that are important for the list, any information you can provide will be welcome. Traffic, Air Units, IAB, etc.
I already have everything on this page by the way: www.n2nov.net

Lauta

Oh, it will seem strange to you if you are not familiar with the subject, but it is for a roleplay project in GTAV.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
uhhhh hmmmm. interesting.
What kind of project is this and to whom will this data be distributed too?

What difference does it make? If Operational Security was a problem regarding this, they wouldn’t announce the call signs over the air in the first place. Not every question that someone asks on this forum should be construed as suspicious or an industry secret.

Lauta

Oh, but I didn't accuse anyone of anything. The question seemed strange to me, but without seeking to offend anyone. My English is not good, maybe I misunderstand, I am Argentine.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
My suggestion to the OP, If you're in NYC, listen to the channels. Each day special commands can be different. operations shift and call signs change.
ESU will always be ESU plus the unit.
There really isn't much to tell.

Lauta

Thanks! What do you mean by ESU plus unity? for example ESU 28? And how are the air units designated? The truth is I try to listen to the broadcasts, but it is very difficult, my English is not native.
And, im isnt in NY, i live in argentine

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
The units are designated by service area.
Most of the time, you will hear something like "ESU truck 1" or sometimes just a 4-digit badge number.
Try listening on broadcastify.
It all depends on operations and daily needs as intel comes in and whatever incidents take place locally or globally.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
It's very rare that the detectives use radios.
I've only ever seen them use their radios during raids or joint operations.
Supervisors are Sergeants and above that and they just identify by rank and command

warren

Precinct units by sector (each precinct is divided into a number of areas called sectors) then there are Response cars basically floating units to answer "jobs" calls to 911. There are specialized units in patrol such as Youth, Neighbor Coordinators, Domestic Incident Officers and a number of other specialized units. Also you may hear housing units if one of the 9 PSA's covers that precinct. Supervisors in the precinct generally ID as a Sergeant 1 or 2, Lieutenant 1 or depending on how many are working, CO is Commanding Officer, XO is executive officer. You may hear personnel from a Precinct Detective Squad on the precinct frequency also. Remember more than one precinct is generally on each frequency.
ESU IDs on SOD by the one of 10 ESU basic commands, Adam, Boy, Charlie 1 would be the smaller squad trucks from ESU 1 area lower manhattan and truck 1 would be their large vehicle, the pattern follows in each area. Specialized units in ESU generally use plain language identifies. None of this is secret, it has been out there for years.

Lauta

Precinct units by sector (each precinct is divided into a number of areas called sectors) then there are Response cars basically floating units to answer "jobs" calls to 911. There are specialized units in patrol such as Youth, Neighbor Coordinators, Domestic Incident Officers and a number of other specialized units. Also you may hear housing units if one of the 9 PSA's covers that precinct. Supervisors in the precinct generally ID as a Sergeant 1 or 2, Lieutenant 1 or depending on how many are working, CO is Commanding Officer, XO is executive officer. You may hear personnel from a Precinct Detective Squad on the precinct frequency also. Remember more than one precinct is generally on each frequency.
ESU IDs on SOD by the one of 10 ESU basic commands, Adam, Boy, Charlie 1 would be the smaller squad trucks from ESU 1 area lower manhattan and truck 1 would be their large vehicle, the pattern follows in each area. Specialized units in ESU generally use plain language identifies. None of this is secret, it has been out there for years.
Perfect, are you remeber the Precint Detectives identification?

ff026

Feed Provider
Detectives ID as either PDU or “squad”

As in 27 PDU or 27 squad.

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
Brief index: Replace "27" with whatever NYPD precinct.

From what I've gathered after speaking with real life NYPD Officers online and listening to broadcastify etc in the past;

Callsigns typically go as follows;

ff026 is correct, Precinct Detectives go under "PDU" or "Squad" over radio, though; typically nowadays seem to just use "Squad"

Auxiliary units go over the radio afaik as "27 Auxiliary".

Precinct officers go as "27 Adam/Boy/Charles/David 1/2/3/etc."

(Of course replace "27" with whatever precinct they're from)

ESU Command/Supervisors go over radio as "ESU ##" [ESU 1 is ESU's CO, ESU 2 is ESU's XO, and so on.]

Canine I believe are either just "Canine #" or "27 Canine #, I believe I've heard them a few times over the SOB channels"

And then whenever a NYPD Executive goes over radio, they either just call themselves their Chief rank or their CAR number [So for example, if theCommissioner for some reason was on patrol they'd likely be known as eitherjust "Commissioner" or "Car 1"]

Often times I've noticed they also use "Portable", so "Commissioner Portable", this is also the same for Officers not under any assignment/callsign if they go toa call. I heard on one of the NYPD scanners one time someone go "76 Portable, I'm going" which followed after a 10-13 call in that area, so.. My guess is that's when you will hear them.

Lastly; Patrol Supervisors/Sergeants/Lieutenants go over the air as "27 Patrol Sergeant" or "27 Sergeant" which would be Precinct Sergeants, this is about all I know, I believe the same thing goes for Patrol Lieutenants.

Disclaimer: I'm not in the NYPD, I'm just very curious as to how they operate as well given they are a unique and busy department, and this is just stuff I've learned by observing/listening to the NYPD scanners on Broadcastify, I recommend doing that as that really helps.

Last edited: