NYPD Call Signs

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Here's where the rubber meets the road: Were you on the Job with NYPD? If so, please do tell when and where?

Lauta

Hello, I have a question, I heard on the Special Operations channel the operator call the "TRUCK DAVID", does anyone know what kind of unit it is? I had understood that the callsign of the Trucks was "Truck" + the number.
On the other hand, I don't know if the Heavy Trucks use the same call sign as the small ones. They have for the same Truck number, a small one and a big one, I attach a link to what I am referring to.

Are the units that are identified as "ADAM + a number", are they NYPD A-TEAM (SWAT) units?)

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Hello, I have a question, I heard on the Special Operations channel the operator call the "TRUCK DAVID", does anyone know what kind of unit it is? I had understood that the callsign of the Trucks was "Truck" + the number.
On the other hand, I don't know if the Heavy Trucks use the same call sign as the small ones. They have for the same Truck number, a small one and a big one,
There are 10 Emergency Services Units as part of Special Operations. You'll hear them, for example, as Adam 1, Boy 1, Truck 1 ... Adam 2, Boy 2, Truck 2, etc. Adam and Boy are 'pick up style' rigs, whereas the Truck is a 'heavy rescue.' Sometimes you'll hear a Charlie unit on the air as well.

These Emergency Service Squads (ESS) are located in the following patrol areas
• 1 : Manhattan South (13th Pct)
• 2 : Manhattan North (26th Pct)
• 3 : South Bronx (43rd Pct)
• 4: North Bronx (50th Pct)
• 5 : New Jersey … errr … I mean Staten Island (122nd Pct)
• 6 : Brooklyn South (68th Pct)
• 7 : Brooklyn (75th Pct)
• 8 : Brooklyn North (not based at a Precinct)
• 9 : South Queens (113th Pct)
• 10: North Queens (109th Pct)

11 is based at Floyd Bennett, SOD HQ, and does not patrol, it provides support to other ESU squads in need of assistance.

U1 is the CO.
U2 is th XO
U4 is the Manhattan / Bronx supervisor
U5 is the supervisor for Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island
U20 HazMat Supervisor

ff026

Feed Provider
On the other hand, I don't know if the Heavy Trucks use the same call sign as the small ones. They have for the same Truck number, a small one and a big one, I attach a link to what I am referring to.

Are the units that are identified as "ADAM + a number", are they NYPD A-TEAM (SWAT) units?)
It was probably the “David car” for truck 1. Its new years. Big nite busy night. Truck 1 is probably turning out 5 “sectors” the Adam, Boy and Charlie units as well as 1 David and the truck “truck 1” which is the supervisor for the truck and tour.

No the A-team ID’s as A-Team supervisor, only the supervisor will go over the air.

ff026

Feed Provider
There are 10 Emergency Services Units as part of Special Operations. You'll hear them, for example, as Adam 1, Boy 1, Truck 1 ... Adam 2, Boy 2, Truck 2, etc. Adam and Boy are 'pick up style' rigs, whereas the Truck is a 'heavy rescue.' Sometimes you'll hear a Charlie unit on the air as well.

These Emergency Service Squads (ESS) are located in the following patrol areas
• 1 : Manhattan South (13th Pct)
• 2 : Manhattan North (26th Pct)
• 3 : South Bronx (43rd Pct)
• 4: North Bronx (50th Pct)
• 5 : New Jersey … errr … I mean Staten Island (122nd Pct)
• 6 : Brooklyn South (68th Pct)
• 7 : Brooklyn (75th Pct)
• 8 : Brooklyn North (not based at a Precinct)
• 9 : South Queens (113th Pct)
• 10: North Queens (109th Pct)

11 is based at Floyd Bennett, SOD HQ, and does not patrol, it provides support to other ESU squads in need of assistance.

U1 is the CO.
U2 is th XO
U4 is the Manhattan / Bronx supervisor
U5 is the supervisor for Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island
U20 HazMat Supervisor
The small truck’s are called REP’s Radio Emergency Patrol.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
The small truck’s are called REP’s Radio Emergency Patrol.
I am aware ... but I was trying to break this down into the simplest terms. Most people have no idea what an RMP or REP is.

I spent years as a full time news photog working in the city and part-time working EMS in Queens and The Bronx. Sometimes even the most dedicated scanner enthusiasts can't follow the terminology.

Lauta

The other A-Team members dont use radio?
It was probably the “David car” for truck 1. Its new years. Big nite busy night. Truck 1 is probably turning out 5 “sectors” the Adam, Boy and Charlie units as well as 1 David and the truck “truck 1” which is the supervisor for the truck and tour.

No the A-team ID’s as A-Team supervisor, only the supervisor will go over the air.

Lauta

What's the radio callsign of the ERV (Heavy armored vehicles, Emergency Rescue Vehicle)?
Other question
In this video i'm hear 113 King or 113 Mary, but i think the Precints only have 4 or 5 Sectors, how many sectors have an precint?
Whats the NCO callsigns? For example, is the 113 NCO ADAM the callsign of de NCO of de 113PCT Sector A?
What's is the callsign of a Field Training Unit Car?

ff026

Feed Provider
What's the radio callsign of the ERV (Heavy armored vehicles, Emergency Rescue Vehicle)?
Other question
In this video i'm hear 113 King or 113 Mary, but i think the Precints only have 4 or 5 Sectors, how many sectors have an precint?
Whats the NCO callsigns? For example, is the 113 NCO ADAM the callsign of de NCO of de 113PCT Sector A?
Probably an old video. Some Precints had a lot of sectors or combined sectors.

Say MNPQ could be one care for all 4 sectors , but they only ID as M

There is no call sign of a training unit car.

The big ESU trucks go over as truck and the number of their ESS unit.

It’s all pretty plain easy to remember terms.

K2BNE

Rick
Premium Subscriber
Other question

Lauta

What happens if there is more than one Sergeant on duty? The callsign when there is only one Sergeant is for example 46 Sergeant (Precint + Sergeant), but when they have additional personnel and there are two or three at the same time?

tavvun

Do the numbers for foot posts mean anything? For example, if an officer is assigned to say, post 42, will his post be located on 42nd street? Or are they just assigned a number randomly?

Last edited:

ff026

Feed Provider
Do the numbers for foot posts mean anything? For example, if an officer is assigned to say, post 42, will his post be located on 42nd street? Or are they just assigned a number randomly?
The old way was “beat”. The post# and beat# were the same. Now it’s just a number based on how many foot post there are.
When assigning a foot post at roll call a cop or cops will get a post # usually starting with one.
They may be FTU (field training unit) post they will go over has FTU post # whatever.
There may be high visibility or HOW (house of worship).
The caveat being if you don’t have enough bodies to fill the sectors you’re probably not going to have any foot posts.
Minimum manning depends on each command.

tavvun

Thank you. I'm aware Transit is a little different than patrol, but do you know what a "PSP" post is? Also, are the Mobile Field Force units over transit frequency from SRG, or does Transit have their own? I ask that one because I know transit has their own Anti-Terrorism Unit.