NYPD Call Signs

Lauta

Brief index: Replace "27" with whatever NYPD precinct.

From what I've gathered after speaking with real life NYPD Officers online and listening to broadcastify etc in the past;

Callsigns typically go as follows;

ff026 is correct, Precinct Detectives go under "PDU" or "Squad" over radio, though; typically nowadays seem to just use "Squad"

Auxiliary units go over the radio afaik as "27 Auxiliary".

Precinct officers go as "27 Adam/Boy/Charles/David 1/2/3/etc."

(Of course replace "27" with whatever precinct they're from)

ESU Command/Supervisors go over radio as "ESU ##" [ESU 1 is ESU's CO, ESU 2 is ESU's XO, and so on.]

Canine I believe are either just "Canine #" or "27 Canine #, I believe I've heard them a few times over the SOB channels"

And then whenever a NYPD Executive goes over radio, they either just call themselves their Chief rank or their CAR number [So for example, if theCommissioner for some reason was on patrol they'd likely be known as eitherjust "Commissioner" or "Car 1"]

Often times I've noticed they also use "Portable", so "Commissioner Portable", this is also the same for Officers not under any assignment/callsign if they go toa call. I heard on one of the NYPD scanners one time someone go "76 Portable, I'm going" which followed after a 10-13 call in that area, so.. My guess is that's when you will hear them.

Lastly; Patrol Supervisors/Sergeants/Lieutenants go over the air as "27 Patrol Sergeant" or "27 Sergeant" which would be Precinct Sergeants, this is about all I know, I believe the same thing goes for Patrol Lieutenants.

Disclaimer: I'm not in the NYPD, I'm just very curious as to how they operate as well given they are a unique and busy department, and this is just stuff I've learned by observing/listening to the NYPD scanners on Broadcastify, I recommend doing that as that really helps.
I love u' :)
What about the air units bro?

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I am going to be programming out my radio this coming week as i upgraded to the 929 for N"YC. I will post some videos for you and send you the link so you can listen in more detail.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Oh, but I didn't accuse anyone of anything. The question seemed strange to me, but without seeking to offend anyone. My English is not good, maybe I misunderstand, I am Argentine.
[/QUOTE

With an address of 2650 Wisconsin Ave., D.C.?

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Brief index: Replace "27" with whatever NYPD precinct.

From what I've gathered after speaking with real life NYPD Officers online and listening to broadcastify etc in the past;

Callsigns typically go as follows;

ff026 is correct, Precinct Detectives go under "PDU" or "Squad" over radio, though; typically nowadays seem to just use "Squad"

Auxiliary units go over the radio afaik as "27 Auxiliary".

Precinct officers go as "27 Adam/Boy/Charles/David 1/2/3/etc."

(Of course replace "27" with whatever precinct they're from)

ESU Command/Supervisors go over radio as "ESU ##" [ESU 1 is ESU's CO, ESU 2 is ESU's XO, and so on.]

Canine I believe are either just "Canine #" or "27 Canine #, I believe I've heard them a few times over the SOB channels"

And then whenever a NYPD Executive goes over radio, they either just call themselves their Chief rank or their CAR number [So for example, if theCommissioner for some reason was on patrol they'd likely be known as eitherjust "Commissioner" or "Car 1"]

Often times I've noticed they also use "Portable", so "Commissioner Portable", this is also the same for Officers not under any assignment/callsign if they go toa call. I heard on one of the NYPD scanners one time someone go "76 Portable, I'm going" which followed after a 10-13 call in that area, so.. My guess is that's when you will hear them.

Lastly; Patrol Supervisors/Sergeants/Lieutenants go over the air as "27 Patrol Sergeant" or "27 Sergeant" which would be Precinct Sergeants, this is about all I know, I believe the same thing goes for Patrol Lieutenants.

Disclaimer: I'm not in the NYPD, I'm just very curious as to how they operate as well given they are a unique and busy department, and this is just stuff I've learned by observing/listening to the NYPD scanners on Broadcastify, I recommend doing that as that really helps.
I trust you realize why NYPD is seriously considering complete encryption.

Lllsssrrr000

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
Only been listening to the NYPD for a couple of months, but I’ll try and help you out.
All of the information above, or most of it, is correct.
Precinct unit will go over the air as precinct number, followed by the sceptre letter
Precinct supervisors, such as Sergeants, and lieutenant, will go over the air as Precinct number followed by the rank.
Aviation units go over the air as aviation followed by a seemingly random selected number.
Canine units, go over the air as canine followed bye another seemingly random select number.
ESU supervisers go over the air as U followed by a number e.g U5
Precinct traffic units go over the air as recent number, followed by traffic post. for example, 17 traffic post.
A couple of other notable units are
FTU posts.
These are field training units.
A beginner officer paired with a sergeant.
These will go over the air as precinct number, followed by FTU post, then another number, for example, 17 FTU post one
CRC posts.
These are counterterrorism units.
These will go over the air as simply CRC post followed by number. For example, CRC, post eight.
SRG units, like ESU, have coal signs that correspond to an area in the city.
They will come over the air as SRG followed by the area number, followed by the letters a to E.
Traffic management units tend to just use the rank and their last name.
For example, supervisor Smith.
Inspectors also do the same.
When there is a detailed/large event, units will just use the detail, portable, detail, Sergeant or detail lieutenant.
They may also use the rank in a last name.
Hope this helps a little.

ff026

Feed Provider
It’s pretty simple. Whatever the name of the unit, that’s what they ID as.

Aviation = Aviation

Gang = Gang

Boats= Harbor

Dogs =K9

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
What difference does it make? If Operational Security was a problem regarding this, they wouldn’t announce the call signs over the air in the first place. Not every question that someone asks on this forum should be construed as suspicious or an industry secret.
1) " If Operational Security was a problem regarding this, they wouldn’t announce the call signs over the air in the first place."
And, you have made the case for encryption.

2) "Not every question that someone asks on this forum should be construed as suspicious or an industry secret."
There are many bad actors out there. Repeated questions for very specific details as to law enforcement operations do raise questions.
Anyway, more likely than not, SIU is aware of such probing, in-depth interest in operations above and beyond "patrol"..

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
1) " If Operational Security was a problem regarding this, they wouldn’t announce the call signs over the air in the first place."
And, you have made the case for encryption.

2) "Not every question that someone asks on this forum should be construed as suspicious or an industry secret."
There are many bad actors out there. Repeated questions for very specific details as to law enforcement operations do raise questions.
Anyway, more likely than not, SIU is aware of such probing, in-depth interest in operations above and beyond "patrol"..

I’ve made the case for encryption because I brought up the fact that buffs have known NYPD call signs and jargon since the 70s? Yeah, okay. Secondly, SIU isn’t probing into anything because everything that’s been asked here is legitimate public information, whether we like it or not. You’re acting like this guy is asking tour schedules and where the LT of patrol parks his personal car… He’s not. Apparently you weren’t around during the BLM riots when there must’ve been about 20+ stolen portables for days after the events. If that’s not a cause for legitimate encryption, what is?