• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

O5 Control Head Lines

curtisdevault

Premium Subscriber
I recently installed two XTL5000s in my vehicle and one of the control heads had some issues. I replaced it with a new control head that I got off eBay at a really good price. It was worth the risk.

When it turns on, it displays a series of vertical lines on the display then once fully powered up it looks great.

I’m pretty new to working with these model radios and I have not seen this in the 10 others I’ve been programming in the last year. Does anyone have any insight into this? Is it normal, if it’s not normal should I return it while I still can?

Thanks!
W0GIS

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
That appears to be an older control head and if so, they did indeed show vertical lines on the display before they fully booted.

a417

That appears to be an older control head and if so, they did indeed show vertical lines on the display before they fully booted.
I've seen that recently, and it was on a control head that had a very early firmware in the head and as @mikewazowski mentioned wasn't fully booting correctly with the attached radio

curtisdevault

Premium Subscriber
Oh! Firmware, I’ll check that tomorrow. I’m so used to working with old radios where firmware isn’t ever something I’ve had to deal with.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, we have numerous APX8500s that do that as well with their O5 heads. Haven't been able to pin down any particular hardware/firmware combination and while most of ours are of the same vintage, only a small percentage exhibit that behavior. They all work just fine though.

curtisdevault

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, we have numerous APX8500s that do that as well with their O5 heads. Haven't been able to pin down any particular hardware/firmware combination and while most of ours are of the same vintage, only a small percentage exhibit that behavior. They all work just fine though.
That's very helpful as well. I had a feeling it was most likely some weird glitch or bug.

I also just wanted to document this somewhere online to hopefully help others since I could not find any discussion of this.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I recently installed two XTL5000s in my vehicle and one of the control heads had some issues. I replaced it with a new control head that I got off eBay at a really good price. It was worth the risk.

When it turns on, it displays a series of vertical lines on the display then once fully powered up it looks great.

I’m pretty new to working with these model radios and I have not seen this in the 10 others I’ve been programming in the last year. Does anyone have any insight into this? Is it normal, if it’s not normal should I return it while I still can?

Thanks!
W0GIS
I've noticed the lines once on the bench a few days. I believe I had the power on first to the control head than I connected power to the radio than the data cable and noticed the lines. I believe I left the power on to the controlhead as I was swapping from one model radio to another model radio. I turned everything off disconnected all the cables than reconnected the power to the radio, than the data cable to the radio, and the controlhead. Then the power leads (red and yellow) to the controlhead then I turned on the controlhead and there were no lines.

I'll be programming some radios on the bench today and I keep an eye out.

radiotweester

Check what flex you have from the radio to the head. HKN6192?
Just curious because I have an HKN6208 flex and the screen does the same on start up.

Last edited:

curtisdevault

Premium Subscriber
Check what flex you have from the radio to the head. HKN6192?
Just curious because I have an HKN6208 flex and the screen does the same on start up.
I have 3 O5 heads (only one shows the lines upon booting up) and they all have an HKN6191 flex cable. After I put everything back together I noticed that two of them were labeled REV B and the one that displays the lines is labeled REV C.

I'm going to swap the REV C cable out for the REV B and see what happens.

curtisdevault

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately swapping the REV C cable out for the REV B cable did not get rid the lines on the display at power on.