Oak Lawn Central on Starcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting a decent signal a couple of miles north of the Oak Lawn area, using my RS 800 MHz antenna. Also getting a NAC of 14B...

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
For those who may not know OLCD Site 1-030 is located at Christ hospital based on RR info.

I was out in Oak Lawn area today and can confirm. Took antenna off and was able to monitor this site flawlessly sitting right outside Christ Hospital. Also heard today, this site will become part of Cook County's Simulcast site 1-002. Most 1-030 traffic is currently heard on Site 1-002 but no other traffic other than OLREC is currently heard on Site 1-030.

Monitored another P25 Phase 2 transmission on TGID 36968 (Site 1-030).

I am completely lost. I listen to the scanner either via an app on my phone or directly from broadcastify and while there were issues earlier this year with Net 6 (for the Oak Lawn area police scanner) now they are having issues again and I've read all these posts and I'm completely confused ... So please tell me will we need to get REGULAR SCANNER RADIOS to now listen if they are on Starcom or are there apps that play that ? Just totally confused ....

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I am completely lost. I listen to the scanner either via an app on my phone or directly from broadcastify and while there were issues earlier this year with Net 6 (for the Oak Lawn area police scanner) now they are having issues again and I've read all these posts and I'm completely confused ... So please tell me will we need to get REGULAR SCANNER RADIOS to now listen if they are on Starcom or are there apps that play that ? Just totally confused ....

I would recommend either an SDS 100 (Handheld) or SDS 200 (Desktop) since Oak Lawn's Net-6 is on a simulcast system. Any other digital scanner that might be cheaper, don't do as well on simulcast systems.

Fivo

I haven't heard any traffic on site 1-30 yet, only on 1-02, but I am physically closer to M1 in Alsip than I am to Christ.

Monitored another P25 Phase 2 transmission on TGID 36968 (Site 1-030).

Is 1-30 traffic phase 2? My scanner is only phase 1 capable... :cautious:

Attachments

• Oak Lawn Starcom.png
    Oak Lawn Starcom.png
    296.8 KB · Views: 24

scannerjunkie

For now OLCD dispatching on TGID 36961 site 1-030 is phase 1 but it looks like other channels are using or testing out phase 2. im sure eventually all channels will switch to phase 2. for now your phase 1 scanner will work. I would consider saving for a phase 2 capable scanner since channels can go to phase 2 at any time. one of my digital scanners (PRO668) receives the new site (1-030) very well.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard any traffic on site 1-30 yet, only on 1-02, but I am physically closer to M1 in Alsip than I am to Christ.

Is 1-30 traffic phase 2? My scanner is only phase 1 capable... :cautious:
For now OLCD dispatching on TGID 36961 site 1-030 is phase 1 but it looks like other channels are using or testing out phase 2. im sure eventually all channels will switch to phase 2. for now your phase 1 scanner will work. I would consider saving for a phase 2 capable scanner since channels can go to phase 2 at any time. one of my digital scanners (PRO668) receives the new site (1-030) very well.

Site 1-030 isn't producing a very strong signal, but from what we're hearing it will eventually become part of Site 1-002 and is being used for added portable coverage and capacity. So far, I've only heard TGID 36968 transmit in Phase 2 on Site 1-030. Previously the same TGID was heard in Phase 1 on Site 1-002.

As scannerjunkie mentioned, any one of these talk groups go could go Phase 2 at any time and considering how much traffic is on Site 1-002, I would think sooner than later.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Can certain freqs on T-102 become Phase II or would ALL freqys on T 102 be eligible for that mode, or does it just have to do with the radio's being set up to use P2 on certain talk groups....Grundy County has a Morris-Minooka TG2430 and some times its P2 and other times its Phase I, ...??

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ran an Analyze event on Site 1-030 this morning and noticed no Site or System ID being transmitted just the NAC (14B). Is this because it's linked to Site 1-002? I am receiving OLREC traffic during Site Hold.

ID Search mode checked, no other Starcom traffic heard.

scannerjunkie

I wonder if this site will only be used by OLCD and other close local "NET" agencies that will be migrating from their current analog channels to Starcom. this may explain only OLCD traffic being heard.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Testing on TG 3 with RID's 6 & 650002. Phase 1,2 in the clear and secure mode.

Looks like this should be posted under the STARCOM21 "sticky" thread, as this thread pertains to the new Oak Lawn Regional Emergency Communications TGs and SC21 Site 130. FWIW, RID 650002 appears to be Tazewell County from previous reports.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Ran an Analyze event on Site 1-030 this morning and noticed no Site or System ID being transmitted just the NAC (14B). Is this because it's linked to Site 1-002? I am receiving OLREC traffic during Site Hold.

ID Search mode checked, no other Starcom traffic heard.

Per Pro96Com, Site 130 is shown as a connected and a current neighbor to Site 102.

kc9nla

Premium Subscriber
I am partial lost. I just bought a BCD325p2, how do I put in site codes and the NAC code? I am currently using the free Proscan to program this radio. I also have a 396XT not sure if that would work. I am hearing some radio traffic with both radios but I know I am missing some. I am only hearing 2 or 3 Oak Lawn units, 1 or 2 Evergreen Park and no Alsip units. Thanks for the help.

VASCAR2

With a BCD325P2 you can not add a NAC if the system is set as P25 trunked. If your scanning conventional 800 MHz frequency you can add a NAC. You can add any name you choose to identify a particular site. If you hold on the control channel the site SID identification will be displayed alternating with the alpha tag or programed name or number. If your on ID scan you can only receive Talk Groups you have entered and not locked out. If your using ID search any Talk Group on the site will be heard unless the TG is encrypted.

Some times an individual radio will be set to use encryption. The other units transmitting might not be encrypted which you will hear. I hear US Marshall’s working in my area. Sometimes all the units on the detail are not encrypted. Many radios have the option of turning the encryption off or on. Some Talk Groups only carry encrypted traffic and any unit which keys up is encrypted. Some TG’s encryption is at the users preference.

BCD396XT will work on P25 trunked as long as the system is not Phase II TDMA or encrypted. The BCD396XT will work on P25 Phase I.

Status
Not open for further replies.