Oakland County

bkirk3434

Does anyone have any idea when Oakland County will be live on MPSCS? For the past year there have been a lot of rumors swirling with what will and will not be un-encrypted. Does anyone know anything concrete/legitimate as far as timeline and what we will be able to listen to?

Re FDs: does anyone listen to any now on Analog? If so, are any on the Bryx system- meaning there is no point in listening?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any idea when Oakland County will be live on MPSCS? For the past year there have been a lot of rumors swirling with what will and will not be un-encrypted.
Plenty of talkgroups have been identified for Oakland County in the RRDB, looking like mostly patch talkgroups & radio tech use (for now). Go to the MPSCS RRDB page and use your browser's find function to search for the text "Oakland county (63)" and it should bring you to the list of identified talkgroups. Mode "D" and "T" talkgroups should be unencrypted. "DE" and "TE" signify full encryption. Might be worth monitoring these for activity

bkirk3434

Plenty of talkgroups have been identified for Oakland County in the RRDB, looking like mostly patch talkgroups & radio tech use (for now). Go to the MPSCS RRDB page and use your browser's find function to search for the text "Oakland county (63)" and it should bring you to the list of identified talkgroups. Mode "D" and "T" talkgroups should be unencrypted. "DE" and "TE" signify full encryption. Might be worth monitoring these for activity
I have had Farmington Hills/Bloomfield TWP programmed in for a while and I do not hear anything. I assume they are not "live" yet. They are the only two FDs on RR.

kd8ati

There is no firm go live date yet. I have heard from some of my counterparts in a few Oakland County departments that they are slated for a fall equipment install date, dispatch consoles... which would point towards a late winter or spring go live.

rabrah01

Berkley PSAP and Ferndale PSAP are live on MPSCS. Looks Hazel Park goes live next Monday followed by Madison Heights on 8/7. Go live started on the 18th will take about 18 months to get all Oakland County Agencies online. As last I heard, all PD TGs will be encrypted, but fire will not be.

bkirk3434

Berkley PSAP and Ferndale PSAP are live on MPSCS. Looks Hazel Park goes live next Monday followed by Madison Heights on 8/7. Go live started on the 18th will take about 18 months to get all Oakland County Agencies online. As last I heard, all PD TGs will be encrypted, but fire will not be.
Is there a schedule of dates/departments somewhere? All I can see is what is on RR but not any dates. Did you see 8/7 somewhere?

RayAir

Any idea if 32372 is Berkley PD?
Looks like Farmington Hills FD is active now although they might still have OpenSky radios as one unit referred to it as their "primary" radio and that no transmissions were coming over it anymore.

jpstrategies

Premium Subscriber
I have programmed the TG for the new Oakland Co FD that are listed and talking—Ferndale, Hazel Park, etc. I have the Oakland Co Simulcast Control channel programmed in the SDS100 I am not receiving any dispatches or talk on any of the take groups. Any ideas where I may have gone wrong. I am assuming it is a programming issue as I know they are talking in listening to the recordings on RR.com

bkirk3434

I have programmed the TG for the new Oakland Co FD that are listed and talking—Ferndale, Hazel Park, etc. I have the Oakland Co Simulcast Control channel programmed in the SDS100 I am not receiving any dispatches or talk on any of the take groups. Any ideas where I may have gone wrong. I am assuming it is a programming issue as I know they are talking in listening to the recordings on RR.com
Are you using the 2/4 tower or another one?

RayAir

Auburn Hills was doing a lot of training on 63AHFD2 today.
There's a few more encrypted patches popping up and more activity.
Once it gets going they can probably be identified by correlating console IDs from clear FD TG's and based on activity that should be enough to ID PD Dispatch TGs.

rivermersey

Hearing Southfield, but dispatch only. after that everything is silent. July 31, 2023 apx 6:30p. Also the tones beforehand. But the tone(s) sound like a buzzer.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering why Hazel Park Fire has 2 Dispatch TG's?

kd8ati

Is it possible one could be more accurately described as “alerting”?
Not as of right now. I have only been listening for the last few days and all traffic has been on 32191. Maybe the other one is like a secondary talkgroup. Not really sure as I have not heard any radio traffic on it.

Josh

As an infrequent poster, but following the long overdue transition to MPSCS from OpenSkam, which has led me to this thread. I've been finding it to be interesting and puzzling all at the same time.

I have my radio set to monitor all groups on the system that aren't encrypted, so what I am missing out on, I will never know. But aside from "test 1, 2, 3" etc of the programmers testing the radios amongst the various technician groups which will all eventually be renamed to their proper jurisdiction/user names. I've found it interesting that a DPD group is almost always active, but everything else which may be active with dispatch and user IDs popping up on the display (indicating active users, no patches), all die off around 8PM, not to be heard from again until the next day. I can't believe that it's just one shift testing out the new equipment... I would think the dispatch console side would still be active even if the mobile or portable radio wasn't active on any system.

I am not surprised that the PD side would be completely encrypted. It would seem that the new setup is much like the old arrangement with the police being on the Opensky system and while the FDs are as well, the analog paging channels leave the door open to monitoring- and that is remaining.

I listen to Auburn Hill's UHF patch frequently as well as most of the VHF ones from my home, they're all still active. It is interesting to hear some of the departments I usually don't hear or monitor on the MPSCS as they move over.

-Josh

kb8q

Premium Subscriber
As an infrequent poster, but following the long overdue transition to MPSCS from OpenSkam, which has led me to this thread. I've been finding it to be interesting and puzzling all at the same time.

I have my radio set to monitor all groups on the system that aren't encrypted, so what I am missing out on, I will never know. But aside from "test 1, 2, 3" etc of the programmers testing the radios amongst the various technician groups which will all eventually be renamed to their proper jurisdiction/user names. I've found it interesting that a DPD group is almost always active, but everything else which may be active with dispatch and user IDs popping up on the display (indicating active users, no patches), all die off around 8PM, not to be heard from again until the next day. I can't believe that it's just one shift testing out the new equipment... I would think the dispatch console side would still be active even if the mobile or portable radio wasn't active on any system.

I am not surprised that the PD side would be completely encrypted. It would seem that the new setup is much like the old arrangement with the police being on the Opensky system and while the FDs are as well, the analog paging channels leave the door open to monitoring- and that is remaining.

I listen to Auburn Hill's UHF patch frequently as well as most of the VHF ones from my home, they're all still active. It is interesting to hear some of the departments I usually don't hear or monitor on the MPSCS as they move over.

-Josh
You're hearing DPD Track 6 (precincts 12 & 10) on the Oakland Co simulcast most likely because one of the PD's that border Detroit (like Ferndale) has someone(s) affiliated on TG-8055 monitoring it
. Conversely, there are times Ferndale is showing up on the Detroit simulcast.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I understand how the system works and the roaming, but the Oakland site denies almost everything not originating in Oakland. I wonder how / why DPD6 is allowed when others are not.