Oakland County

bkirk3434

Let's start a list of Oakland Counties that are live on MPSCS (9 so far), feel free to add new communities as they go live. It is very interesting that there are a bunch more that have been assigned MPSCS DEC #s on RR that are not live yet.

Ferndale, Hazel Park, Madison Heights, Southfield, Royal Oak, Auburn Hills, Birmingham, Rochester Hills, and Farmington Hills.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
Let's start a list of Oakland Counties that are live on MPSCS (9 so far), feel free to add new communities as they go live. It is very interesting that there are a bunch more that have been assigned MPSCS DEC #s on RR that are not live yet.

Ferndale, Hazel Park, Madison Heights, Southfield, Royal Oak, Auburn Hills, Birmingham, Rochester Hills, and Farmington Hills.
Sounds like Troy is starting to use now. Also MABAS used for mutual aid fire this afternoon in Bloomfield HIlls.

bkirk3434

Now that we have a lot of Oakland County FDs live now, is anyone having any luck listening to them on towers outside of Oakland County? In my experience (in other counties), my Unication G4 pager is able to monitor two neighboring counties at the same time (ie: Wayne/Washtenaw, Livingston/Washtenaw). So far, I am not able to monitor Oakland County FDs with Wayne County. Is anyone having any luck or is this something that will take a few months to work out once they are on MPSCS?

Josh

Given that Oakland county is a P25 Phase II system that is (or at least was) not allowing any users outside of the OpenSKY converts (which would require the repeater to downgrade to standard FDMA mode, thus losing a talk-path), until other towers are converted to Phase II (if/when that ever happens) I am doubtful that you will hear other agencies. I suppose it is possible, like in the case of one of the DPD channels, an Oakland County radio could be set to an MSP or other talkgroup normally found on the adjacent towers, and allow it to work on the county simulcast.

The G4 can also be programmed with just the county simulcast frequencies- that's what I have programmed in mine, and I've found that coverage is actually pretty decent into neighboring counties.

-Josh

gbouwkamp

Premium Subscriber
Anyone familiar with the P25 fire tone outs for the new departments?
I've been using the Tone Detect feature on my Unication G5 but have only been able to capture one station (Southfield) one time.
I would like to find a way to capture the two tone paging freqs.

bkirk3434

I've been using the Tone Detect feature on my Unication G5 but have only been able to capture one station (Southfield) one time.
I would like to find a way to capture the two tone paging freqs.
Not sure if this is what you mean, but some of the departments are doing "tone outs" (Farmington Hills, Southfield, Rochester Hills, Auburns Hills). Not sure if this is being worked on/adjusted as they transition to MPSCS?

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
I would like to find a way to capture the two tone paging freqs.still a lot moving parts, so things may/will change as time goes and until everything settles down. Lot of patches going on as well, so that limits the tone out systems and etc. some are already on P25 and toning on it as well. Some using P25 for communications and analog for paging. Some also got tone out tone over the P25….

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
Now that we have a lot of Oakland County FDs live now, is anyone having any luck listening to them on towers outside of Oakland County? In my experience (in other counties), my Unication G4 pager is able to monitor two neighboring counties at the same time (ie: Wayne/Washtenaw, Livingston/Washtenaw). So far, I am not able to monitor Oakland County FDs with Wayne County. Is anyone having any luck or is this something that will take a few months to work out once they are on MPSCS?
As Josh mentioned, unfortunately OCP25 is phase II and unless a user with a radio affiliates to a tower other than Oak County, you’ll not hear anything on other towers. And even with the user being connected to none Oak Co tower, you’ll only hear the talk group they are on not the whole system. When/if other counties upgrade to phase II, you’ll be able to…

Hope this answers your question

bkirk3434

I am hearing White Lake on Highland TWP's TG (32316/63HIFD1). The dispatcher just mentioned how they do not have tones at this time (a lot of other Oakland Co. FDs are in the same boat).