Official BC246T Programming Software Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CZ

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Messages
521
Reaction score
0
Location
California
Voyager, nexus ... Saw that & thought "Wait a minute... System? " then I scrolled down and saw your comments.

Everything seems to be working so far -- but then, I haven't tried uploading any changes either :) Some of the things I may do can be set from the keyboard, so perhaps won't have to use program much.

======
NOTE:

This morning when I disconnected the cable from the scanner & the computer, then turned the computer on, it gave me an error that there was no Mouse connected.
So I turned the comp. off and when I restarted it, the Mouse (USB Optical type) was recognized. One of W98SE's little quirks I guess.
 

nexus

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
1
Location
Mississippi
CZ, I'm just curious...

Are you an american? I mean, were you born and raised in the United States? Or are you from another nationality?

Just wondering... I get the impression that you might be from somewhere else but living in the US now.
 

CZ

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Messages
521
Reaction score
0
Location
California
Born & Raised in the USA as were my parents, grandparents & great-grandparents :)
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
CZ said:
Everything seems to be working so far -- but then, I haven't tried uploading any changes either :) Some of the things I may do can be set from the keyboard, so perhaps won't have to use program much.

Well TRY IT, man! :D

Really, I think once you learn the software, you will rarely want to use the keyboard on the scanner. Try adding more groups and channels, too.

Joe M.
 

thomasnc41

Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
nexus said:
OH MY GOD! :?: :?: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nexus,

I'm brand new to scanning and I started out with the BC246T. I have been trying to upload a system but kept having problems. I came across this thread and got a copy of your "real simple..step by step" instructions and they worked great. I just wanted to tell you thanks for the help.

I'm enjoying this forum....

Thanks to all,

Tom
 

CZ

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Messages
521
Reaction score
0
Location
California
If someone asks what a particular frequency is that's in the 246T, and you're not close to the computer, or don't have a list with you, how do you find out what the frequency is?
 

nexus

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
1
Location
Mississippi
thomasnc41 said:
nexus said:
OH MY GOD! :?: :?: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nexus,

I'm brand new to scanning and I started out with the BC246T. I have been trying to upload a system but kept having problems. I came across this thread and got a copy of your "real simple..step by step" instructions and they worked great. I just wanted to tell you thanks for the help.

I'm enjoying this forum....

Thanks to all,

Tom

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad it I was able to help someone out. And to think I don't even own the radio lol... I was going to get one but decided to wait for the digital model 396t to come out later this year.
 

nexus

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
1
Location
Mississippi
CZ said:
If someone asks what a particular frequency is that's in the 246T, and you're not close to the computer, or don't have a list with you, how do you find out what the frequency is?

The only thing I see in the manual is pressing . three times will remove the alpha tag...

I don't know if that deletes it completely from the channel
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
CZ said:
If someone asks what a particular frequency is that's in the 246T, and you're not close to the computer, or don't have a list with you, how do you find out what the frequency is?

Three options:

Short of erasing your alpha tag, you can hit the MENU button, select PROGRAM SYSTEM, Scroll to the system and click the scroll button, select EDIT GROUP and click the scroll button, scroll to the correct group and click the scroll button, select EDIT CHANNEL and click the scroll button, then finally select EDIT FREQUENCY and click the scroll button.

OR

If the channel is ACTIVE, just hit the enter button, scroll to EDIT FREQUENCY and click the scroll button.

OR (and this would be my choice), just say "It doesn't display the frequency and I don't recall what it is."

Joe M.
 

CZ

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Messages
521
Reaction score
0
Location
California
Voyager:
OR (and this would be my choice), just say "It doesn't display the frequency and I don't recall what it is."

:) May wind up doing that

==========

CLOSE CALL: Tried it today while out walking around. Had it set on Search & Autostore, with no alert beep.

Question: Where does it store frequencies I hopefully captured, & how do you read, then delete them when finished?
 

nexus

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
1,654
Reaction score
1
Location
Mississippi
CZ said:
Voyager:
OR (and this would be my choice), just say "It doesn't display the frequency and I don't recall what it is."

:) May wind up doing that

==========

CLOSE CALL: Tried it today while out walking around. Had it set on Search & Autostore, with no alert beep.

Question: Where does it store frequencies I hopefully captured, & how do you read, then delete them when finished?

You do realize you have to be within a couple hundred feet or less of a signal's source in order for that to work. If you were standing next to a tower and didn't get anything then I'd begin to question it, but if you're just walking around I don't know how much if anything would be picked up. Try finding something with a source like maybe mcdonalds drivethru and see if it gets a hit.
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
CZ said:
CLOSE CALL: Tried it today while out walking around. Had it set on Search & Autostore, with no alert beep.

Question: Where does it store frequencies I hopefully captured, & how do you read, then delete them when finished?

It stores them in the CLOSE CALL system - FOUND CHANNELS group.

Delete them the same way you would delete any other channel.

Joe M.
 

CZ

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Messages
521
Reaction score
0
Location
California
:( Guess I didn't find anything then :(

Looked in Menu > "Close Call" and Menu > "Srch/CloCall Opt" and didn't find anything regarding "Found Channels"

Odd thing was when I got back from my walk it was still searching, and I set it next to a window while I looked in the manual.
When I looked at it about 10 - 15 minutes later it said the limit of what it could store had been reached. It is I think, still set on the factory default as to how much it stores.
 

CZ

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Messages
521
Reaction score
0
Location
California
Voyager thanks for the Info! After I finally realized how they were stored/scanned, I was surprised at the "hits" but even though it does give a frequency, I suppose most may be from noise making it think it was picking up something. I'm going to leave them in the 246T for a couple days & see if I can hear anything though.
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
CZ said:
Voyager thanks for the Info! After I finally realized how they were stored/scanned, I was surprised at the "hits" but even though it does give a frequency, I suppose most may be from noise making it think it was picking up something. I'm going to leave them in the 246T for a couple days & see if I can hear anything though.

If you were using it near a PC, that's entirely possible. What were some of the frequencies? (although this part of the thread seems to be better suited in the other BC246T thread since it isn't dealing with the SW)

Joe M.
 

CZ

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Messages
521
Reaction score
0
Location
California
Most of the Hits were in the 504 - 509 MHz. range.

29 were between 150.920 and 161.050, I've heard activity on 2 so far, which implies the rest were caused by either my computer, or interference from other sources while I was walking around.
Its probable that the 504 - 509 MHz hits were from my computer, though the 246T was about 20 feet or so from it.

So far so good on hearing things, only reception I have much trouble with is the Aircraft band. The airport Tower is generally 3 or 4 Bars on the 785D with the telescoping antenna, and I don't hear anything with the 246T/Duck sitting next to the 785D.
I have a 2 Meter band magnetic Mount antenna which I can set in the front room window & it does help 246T Aircraft reception.
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
CZ said:
Most of the Hits were in the 504 - 509 MHz. range.

Its probable that the 504 - 509 MHz hits were from my computer, though the 246T was about 20 feet or so from it.

506-512 MHz is TV channel 20. You probably have a CH 20 in your area, right?

Joe M.
 

CZ

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Messages
521
Reaction score
0
Location
California
We have a Channel 21.
Another thought -- Could it have been Cable leakage? Lot of it being used in the area.
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
CZ said:
We have a Channel 21.
Another thought -- Could it have been Cable leakage? Lot of it being used in the area.

Yep - could be. Usually those signals are pretty weak, but it's still possible.

Joe M.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top