Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I would imagine it's no different that the current line of scanners, just takes someone going to the trouble of doing it.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
jpjohn said:
Can anyone confirm or deny that the BCD996T will allow for remote head mounting?????

Most likely not until Scannermaster and Company decide to make one. I don't look for Uniden to do so.

SQP

Senior Member OMIK
MMMMMMM,I don't know why you people are so happy over something that you already have(796 capabilities).This new scanner IS obsolete before it hits the market.Where's the PRO VOICE,VESELP,OPEN SKY,700mhz CAPABILITIES!?!?!?!?!?!?! I 've said it before and I'll say it again,a scanner that does not have these capabilities,IS WORTHLESS.......And yes,my 796 will do the same thing--GPS,PLEASE!!!!!!!!! I'll buy you one MRS

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Wow. And people wonder how threads get off-topic. 1) Scanner does have 700MHz capabilities. 2) ProVoice is proprietary and will never be in a scanner. 3) VSELP is proprietary, and is being phased out, and will never be in a scanner. 4) Open Sky is proprietary, and will never be in a scanner.

Your 796 does not have MANY of the features that the 996 offers.

AndrewC75

SQP said:
MMMMMMM,I don't know why you people are so happy over something that you already have(796 capabilities).This new scanner IS obsolete before it hits the market.Where's the PRO VOICE,VESELP,OPEN SKY,700mhz CAPABILITIES!?!?!?!?!?!?! I 've said it before and I'll say it again,a scanner that does not have these capabilities,IS WORTHLESS.......And yes,my 796 will do the same thing--GPS,PLEASE!!!!!!!!! I'll buy you one MRS

Wow! How did you get Fire Tone-Out to work in your 796? That's impressive!

SQP

Senior Member OMIK
Sorry Andrew,tone-out is a marketing ploy that doesn't impress me.I'd rather just LISTEN to the radio traffic.MRS

SQP

Senior Member OMIK
Then RDALE,what good is this scanner then?????--and then tell it to people in Florida,San Antonio,OK City,and other places that are not APCO-25,where this NEW scanner is NO GOOD.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I would hope people in that area don't buy if they expect to receive those areas. As mentioned in my previous post, never will a scanner be made that gets those modes. So there's no need to address them in the 996T thread. Toneout is not a marketing ploy, I leave my scanner at nighttime in the mode where it only alerts on an all-call alarm. Many others get use out of it too!

SQP

Senior Member OMIK
MMMMMM, hope they don't buy a NEW scanner(996) for those areas ,ayyy??!!??!! Well, at least now I know why Uniden WON'T buy the licensing agreements for the other digital standards. Yup,you said it right rdale-there will NEVER be a scanner made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW; MA/COM did have a price for their license.MMMMMMMMMMMM.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Check your keyboard - appears to have some problems.

MA does NOT have a price for their license, they declined offers. Please read some of the long-standing ProVoice threads.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
SQP said:

WOW! The ignorance level on the post above is so high that I'm at a loss for words.....

As many times as the subject on the requests (or is it demands?) above has been answered and discussed before....

Voyager

SQP said:
Then RDALE,what good is this scanner then?????--and then tell it to people in Florida,San Antonio,OK City,and other places that are not APCO-25,where this NEW scanner is NO GOOD.

If you are going to wait for a scanner to cover EVERYTHING, well, it's been nice knowing you. You will be dead before a scanner is made that will do everything.

Why did you buy the 796 when it could not receive all those modes you are talking about? You mean you bought an obsolete scanner? <gasp> :p

Joe M.

cg

Premium Subscriber
After I finished with some other business I was able to see Paul at the CES last week and it was a pleasure to be able to talk with him about the new scanners. While he was VERY busy with his contacts, I did get a few minutes to chat. I saw someone who enjoys delivering the newest products to us and is excited over the additions and improvements in the new radios. Here is a couple of things I picked up (he may have mentioned them before or folks have inferred them). Hopefully he will not mind me mentioning them.

I AM NOT AN OFFICIAL SOURCE SO DON'T ***** TO PAUL IF I GOT SOMETHING WRONG.

- Close call will work only while the radio is actively scanning in order to keep the clicking off the active channels.
- As of then, unit is planned to ship with the silver/grey facepiece. It isn't offensive chrome so it didn't bother me at all. I am sure this will generate some substantial whining.
- manual and scan buttons are extra large so for moving environment I think it is a plus.
- April/May I believe is the possible release date.
- Screen color is simple to change. Orange dim, medium, bright, off, blue/green low, med, hi, and then back through. There is a connection for tapping the orange wire to the light dimmer so when the headlights are on, the display will dim. It is so easy to dim with the button that it may or may not be worth it.
- temporary lockout will lock out a channel until the next time the scanner is cycled off/on.

Once again, a thank you to Paul for taking the time to talk to me.

chris

cg

Premium Subscriber
if you look at the video that someone posted, the radios by themselves were the working prototypes (black). The scanners on display by the handhelds and the FRS radios were nonworking units that were supposedly correct cosmetically (silver). That is how I understood it and that was as of the show date (1/6).

chris

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
From the pictures that Gommert took from the National Communiations Magazine video, the black prototype is actually working and catching an FRS frequency real time on the green screen, while the silver one is a motionless amber mock display?!? All other Uniden base/mobile units in the Bearcat linage are black as well. The only purpose for silver would be to be closer to the BC396T faceplate or mimic GRE PRO-96/2096 and why would Uniden want to do that? ;-)

rdale

Premium Subscriber
If you look at the picture of the 996T on Uniden's website - that might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.