Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

FCVPI99 said:
i saw the MSRP for like 800.00

Check out the MSRP on the 396. Then go look at what it actually sells for.
(both should be about $30-50 less than the 996)

Joe M.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Will this radio be able to better cope with p25 simulcast systems ? many of us myself included , as of just a few days ago can no longer track the detroit site 701 p25 system with our uniden radios , apparently those with other brands still can ....is this something that can be addresed with this new radio ? & could a firmware update address it with older unidens?
(See topic "Site 701 MPSCS'' in michigan radio forums for more details)

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure. Imagine the capabilities of the current handheld '396 rolled into a base/mobile version, with extra goodies.

GTO_04

Muxlow said:
Will this be able to scan edacs systems too?

Hopefully, it will scan EDACS systems better than the 396! The 396 does not do as good of a job scanning EDACS as the old 245 did. The 396 allows the beeps through way too much while the 245 never does.

GTO_04

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Now if we could get the lawyers involved and get a license from MA/COM for their ProVoice digital receiving system, that would be a scanner!

allscan

Premium Subscriber
Forget the lawyers, go for the politians. As much as they like to throw "interoperability" around, I'm sure it could be used to "force" MA-COM to share its protocol. I can't for the life of me figure out why my county chose a damn Pro-Voice system when they are surrounded completely by /\/\ systems.

MacombMonitor

allscan said:
Forget the lawyers, go for the politians. As much as they like to throw "interoperability" around, I'm sure it could be used to "force" MA-COM to share its protocol. I can't for the life of me figure out why my county chose a damn Pro-Voice system when they are surrounded completely by /\/\ systems.

Ever hear of monetary kick-backs? That's usually what influences bad decisions.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
MaxTracker said:
$900.00 OMG!! what is the "Fire Tone Out" feature??

OMG! Sounds like you need to read a little more before freaking out or asking those common knowledge questions that have been answered and discussed so many times before.....

The $800-900 price is just MSRP, just like all the previous digital scanners also had a similar MSRP, it'll be the expected street price of around $500+ as previous models also.

The Fire Tone Out feature is for programming conventional frequencies for Fire Departments that send tones for alerting and you can have the radio alert you, just like a pager, to only the specific calls that you want, i.e. Structure fires, Ambulance calls.

You can read more about the BCD996t on this thread and at the Wiki:

http://www.radioreference.com/wiki/index.php/BCD996T

You can read more about the Fire Tone Out feature on a "sticky" thread just below this one on the Uniden forum:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17245

NORCAL

Uniden Audio Quality and Sensitivity

SEMTTP said:
Just my 2 cents worth:

While it is great that Uniden is coming out with a new digital scanner this is great! However, there are many more "features" that I believe are more of a priority than GPS. While GPS to most is an added feature, look at what it has done to the scanner. It has raised the Price of it!!!

Rather than adding all these new features, I mean add a couple along the way, but why is uniden not focusing on building a better unit, and clearing up the audio etc.....you guys know what I am talking about but this addition on GPS is just too much for a scanner. All it does is raise the price of the scanner that is already priced high

I agree that Uniden should concentrate on improvements rather than gadgets. As an example, the audio quality of their mobile units (i.e. BC785D and follow-ons) could be greatly improved along with the sentitivity of reception. If Uniden improve the audio quality, they would be making some progress in my opinion.

woody_46

While some might like the GPS feature, I'd rather have a unit with a better frontend. Anybody in a high RF environment knows what I'm talking about (intermod,desensing). This is where GRE, and Unidens really need improvement. Try a highend Icom, or AOR on VHF/UHF, and you'll see what I mean (big difference). Maybe it's been done since this IS a highend receiver? Have to agree with the audio issues too.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, two points (and I usually refrain from rebutting...you and all are certainly encouraged to provide feedback; it is my best leverage for future improvements).

1) GPS compatibility does not significantly add to the scanner's price. Actually, this scanner is expected to sell at about the same price as the previous model (BC796D).

2) You have not used the GPS feature. While we all scan differently, for myself, when mobile, I don't want to hear towns/cities or even the other side of town when I'm not there. But, I don't want to remember to turn stuff on and off as I drive around town. Playing with the 996 prototype now for a couple of months, I can't imagine going back. I just hate it when I forget to turn off the GPS and let the batteries die... :*)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
UPMan said:
... I just hate it when I forget to turn off the GPS and let the batteries die... :*)
You know, having left my amateur gear on in the vehicle and spending a long weekend not using the truck, I was somewhat put out when I went to start the thing and found that they drained the truck battery over the weekend. I now have all of them programed to auto shut off after a long time of "no button pushing". Have you ever considered that as a possible addition in the newer models of scanners?

4phun

UPMan said:
Well, two points (and I usually refrain from rebutting...you and all are certainly encouraged to provide feedback; it is my best leverage for future improvements).

1) GPS compatibility does not significantly add to the scanner's price. Actually, this scanner is expected to sell at about the same price as the previous model (BC796D).

2) You have not used the GPS feature. While we all scan differently, for myself, when mobile, I don't want to hear towns/cities or even the other side of town when I'm not there. But, I don't want to remember to turn stuff on and off as I drive around town. Playing with the 996 prototype now for a couple of months, I can't imagine going back. I just hate it when I forget to turn off the GPS and let the batteries die... :*)

As I spend a good deal of time on the road the GPS feature also appeals to me. But theswe guys who slam GPS in a radio just don't even know where the radio technology is at right now. They need to look at the mid range to high range ham radios and ACARS.

BTW I am really interested in something that may be adapted in the FM bands and that is DIGITAL where both data and voice are transmitted at the same time as in the new Icom digital capable ham radios.

You can get three times the amount of traffic in the the spectreme used by the new narrow band FM if that is adapted. That would solve a lot of problems with public saftey demand for more spectreme.

It would sure make all those existing scanners obsolete in a heartbeat too!
ham radio is where the test bed is for all this technology.

Ki4je

MacombMonitor

It should be noted that when buying the new BCD996T, Uniden is not charging you for the addition of a GPS device. The BCD996T only has the ability to interface to an optional GPS device. So those who don't feel the need for GPS, aren't paying for it. Many of the other new features are very similar to the BCD396T, which has been well received. Regarding performance, it's too soon to tell. Lets give it a chance!

AndrewC75

Nice price! Well, Ok, it's first street price I've seen, but it seems reasonable. Does anyone know if Grove charges the credit card when the order is placed, or when the unit ships?

Status
Not open for further replies.