Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewC75

UPMan said:
The 996 lets you set a channel as Analog and Digital, Analog Only (in which case you can set a PL/DPL for the channel), or Digital Only.

In your situation, you'd program the frequency twice: Once as Digital Only and once as Analog Only with the correct PL.

MOST excellent. When I prove that I bought my 996, will you pretty, pretty please back-port it to the 396? Pretty please? :D

Oh, and can you answer how this change might apply to CC only searches? Any improvement there?

Last edited:

Schnoor1648

UPMan, thank you for both the reply AND the feature. I happen to think that this is absolutely super. Also, does anyone know if one of the plain old "hockey puck" GPS receivers with a serial port connection would work with the forthcoming BCD996T?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The puck should work (some of the early ones used extra proprietary commands to put them into NMEA mode, but I don't think that is generally the case any more).

MacombMonitor

Schnoor1648 said:
Also, does anyone know if one of the plain old "hockey puck" GPS receivers with a serial port connection would work with the forthcoming BCD996T?

If only it were that simple, and inexpensive! No they will not work. That is a dumb device that needs software on a computer to make it function. The GPS feature on the BCD996T is just an interface to communicate to the GPS device.

Schnoor1648

Thanks, one other thing, would it be possible to add a feature that would cause the scanner to scan right past encrypted channels and/or talk-groups or would that not be practical?

MacombMonitor

UPMan said:
The puck should work (some of the early ones used extra proprietary commands to put them into NMEA mode, but I don't think that is generally the case any more).

Seriously? Are you talking about something like the DeLorme Earthmate? :confused:

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
MacombMonitor said:
Seriously? Are you talking about something like the DeLorme Earthmate? :confused:

I saw the Garmin GPS18 in a serial port version for $129. I asked contacts that I know who work for Garmin about it, and they indicate it is plug it in and get pure NEMA. I will probably buy one (if it don't work on the BCD996T, I might use it instead of my USB Earthmate on my laptop)

I will update the group once I can get my hands on a radio to test it with.

MacombMonitor

teebee said:
Any update when it will be releasing to the public.

Per Grove Enterprises (who is usually in the know), late May~June, 2006. However another Uniden dealer I've talked to seems to think it will be later than that. Nothing confirmed, and I don't think UPMan is allowed to comment on a specific date.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Remember the arrival of the 396s, folks - most likely waiting on a boat at this stage or very soon now.

NORCAL

Uniden BCD996T Owner's Manual

I would like to see some improvements in Uniden's effort to write the owner's manual for the new BCD996T. In the past, the Uniden has done a pretty good job of explaining the basics of their scanners. But I wish they would go a little further with the discussion regarding how to use all the scanner functions from the entry level operator to an advance operator. I've owned several Uniden scanners (780's and 785's). I've never fully utilized all scanner capabilities to the maximum extent because either I do not understood the basic theory behind the operation or the description in the scanner manual was too vague or incomplete. I'm sure there are other people who feel the same way. With the addition of a GPS system, the new manual should clearly include a section with a detailed description of the type of GPS units (Manufacturers, current model numbers that have been tested to interface properly with the 996, etc) that will work with the new 996. I've always like the diagrams or drawings Uniden uses to explain their scanners. I would recommnend that they contiue this practice ----include more not less pictures. If anyone else has comments regarding the owner's manuals, I would like to hear them. Hopefully, Uniden will take note.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
"Too Much is NEVER Enough!"

An owners manual for an electronics device can never have "too much" information, even more so for a scanner as complex as the Uniden BCD396T or BCD996T. The more information, more pictures, more diagrams, more references, more cross referencing, and more resources, the better. Maybe have two manuals: one as a quick guide and one as a full-length guide. And what I mean by a quick guide is not a one-page fold-out, but a large pamphlet or small book, similar to the current size of the one that comes with the BCD-396T, which, in my opinion, is grossly lacking in instructions on how to program the radio using the UASD software and in many other areas.

I have even one better: also include a full length instructional DVD, with text, graphics, simulations, demonstrations, and video.

"Too much is never enough!" - A quote from an old MTV commercial (David Bowie and other music artists).

Last edited:

NORCAL

BCD996T Owner's Manual (continued)

The suggestion of an an instructional DVD is an excellent recommendation. An instructional DVD that includes demonstrations, advanced scanner techniques, scanner functions that best apply to certain operations, programming tips , how-to tips such as "Here how you search for frequencies (trunk or conventional), PL tones, etc in your backyard or remote locations." By inculding some background education along with the basics of an Operaotr's Manual, Uniden will go along way in helping people maximizing their scanner enjoyment and their scanners capabilites.

Voyager

NORCAL said:
I would like to see some improvements in Uniden's effort to write the owner's manual for the new BCD996T. In the past, the Uniden has done a pretty good job of explaining the basics of their scanners. But I wish they would go a little further with the discussion regarding how to use all the scanner functions from the entry level operator to an advance operator. I've owned several Uniden scanners (780's and 785's). I've never fully utilized all scanner capabilities to the maximum extent because either I do not understood the basic theory behind the operation or the description in the scanner manual was too vague or incomplete. I'm sure there are other people who feel the same way. With the addition of a GPS system, the new manual should clearly include a section with a detailed description of the type of GPS units (Manufacturers, current model numbers that have been tested to interface properly with the 996, etc) that will work with the new 996. I've always like the diagrams or drawings Uniden uses to explain their scanners. I would recommnend that they contiue this practice ----include more not less pictures. If anyone else has comments regarding the owner's manuals, I would like to hear them. Hopefully, Uniden will take note.

I've always been able to use the manual to program my scanner fine. I've usually read it (via online DL) many times before receiving the actual unit.

It sounds like you might want/need a scanner basics book - something that explains what a trunked system is, a conventional system, CTCSS/CDCSS, a frequency, delay, FM vs AM vs SSB, and other terms used in programming scanners. There are a few pages on this site that should help with that rather well - including in the wiki. I think there is even a 'Scanners for Dummies' book out there.

To put this in another context, your car's owners manual tells you the specifics of how to operate THAT car. It does not teach you how to drive. I see the scanner manual the same way - it tells you how to program that scanner, but not what each feature is. The scanner manual can't be an all-inclusive reference on 'all things scanner' or it would be a full size book that would add $20 or more to the price.

Joe M.

NORCAL

Uniden Owner's Manuals (continued)

Previous Quoted:
To put this in another context, your car's owners manual tells you the specifics of how to operate THAT car. It does not teach you how to drive. I see the scanner manual the same way - it tells you how to program that scanner, but not what each feature is. The scanner manual can't be an all-inclusive reference on 'all things scanner' or it would be a full size book that would add $20 or more to the price.

Comment:
$20 is a small price to pay for the gain in scanner knowledge. I think it is very possible to write a manual that help the operator to get more out of his scanner. Try to think outside the box. Let's see if Uniden is willing to raise the bar on their manual and surprise us all.

timkilbride

Database Admin
More then one lat/long per channel?

With this GPS feature can you enter in more then one lat/long entry per conventional channel? If it is more then one how many different lat/long can you enter per conventional channel? I understand you can enter more then one for a trunking system but was wondering on a analong conventional channel.

Thanks

Voyager

NORCAL said:
Comment:
$20 is a small price to pay for the gain in scanner knowledge. I think it is very possible to write a manual that help the operator to get more out of his scanner.

I agree - $20 is a small price to pay. Go buy a book. There are several out there. Don't force everyone to spend another $20 on something we don't need and will never use just because YOU need it.

Better yet, start with the FREE references on THIS SITE. Then, you might not need to spend $20 on the book. If anyone feels the need to spend another $20, send it to me. :p

I need a scanner manual to teach me about scanning basics as much as I need my car manual to tell me what a stop sign means. (oh, wait - I made that analogy already)

Joe M.

Status
Not open for further replies.