Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

STiMULi

The UASD Help file says this:

"Additional Options
You can enter up to 24 discrete locations...."

Does that mean that there is are only 24 programmable locations?

Uplink

UPMan said:
BCD996T UASD is now available for free download from Uniden's download area.

Very cool, I checked out the new sofware this morning. I like the addition of MULTI-SITE trunking, STARTUP KEYS, and of course, GPS.
Also, it's going to be real easy to copy over all my 396T system files right into the 996T, very slick UNIDEN!!!.:D:D:D

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Paul (and possibly others),

Sorry if the answer to my question is rehashing something else. I tried to follow the discussion you and STiMULI had but couldn't get much of a grip on it (or more precisely, couldn't tell if it applies to what I'm thinking of).

Imagine if you will a system with one tall tower that broadcasts over a wide area and blankets the entire region, but is supported by smaller towers that "fill in the gaps" and give better coverage to some of the places within that large tower's area. If I create a large (20/30/50 mile) radius for the primary site and set up the secondary sites, which are all within the initial large radius, will the scanner switch to them if they get near, or stick with the main large site? Essentially what I'm asking is if they support an "area" completely inside another larger one, for the same system, just different sites.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The large one would be on the entire time you are within its radius. The smaller ones would turn on and off as you entered/left their radii.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Jay said:
Paul (and possibly others),

Sorry if the answer to my question is rehashing something else. I tried to follow the discussion you and STiMULI had but couldn't get much of a grip on it (or more precisely, couldn't tell if it applies to what I'm thinking of).

Imagine if you will a system with one tall tower that broadcasts over a wide area and blankets the entire region, but is supported by smaller towers that "fill in the gaps" and give better coverage to some of the places within that large tower's area. If I create a large (20/30/50 mile) radius for the primary site and set up the secondary sites, which are all within the initial large radius, will the scanner switch to them if they get near, or stick with the main large site? Essentially what I'm asking is if they support an "area" completely inside another larger one, for the same system, just different sites.

UPMan said:
The large one would be on the entire time you are within its radius. The smaller ones would turn on and off as you entered/left their radii.

Now THAT is bad-ass!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
UPMan said:

That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks :)

STiMULi

STiMULi said:
The UASD Help file says this:

"Additional Options
You can enter up to 24 discrete locations...."

Does that mean that there is are only 24 programmable locations?

Only 24 locations?

doctordave

I've been playing around with the 996 software....pasting some of my 396 data for future use. Within system editor, under the site settings tab and in the frequencies section, what is the means to expanding the number of data blocks available for entry of trunked frequencies? I get about 10 rows by default.....sometimes a few more.....but simply cannot figure out how to manipulate this. On the 396 software, making this adjustment is a snap....clearly I'm missing something on the 996 software, however. Any thoughts?

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
doctordave said:
what is the means to expanding the number of data blocks available for entry of trunked frequencies? I get about 10 rows by default.....sometimes a few more.....but simply cannot figure out how to manipulate this.
Hello,

By default, there are 14 slots for frequencies per site. When you enter the 14th frequency, press ENTER. A new line will appear after pressing ENTER which you can enter another frequency. Pressing ENTER again will add another line.

Btw, you can import BCD396T .usd files into UASD_BCD996T by opening UASD System Editor, click on SETUP. From the dropdown Menu select OPTIONS. The System Data Base Folder will appear, and has a Browse tab. Click on the Browse tab and select where UASD will look for .usd system files (.ie 396 UASD_systems)

HTHs

Dave AKA The Tripzter

doctordave

Thanks, Dave - I'll try importing as you've described....should be a very efficient approach. Appreciate the help.

(edit) Worked very nicely. What a piece of cake to drop the entire batch of 396 files into the 996 software! Thanks again.

Last edited:

sfmoyer

Using the BCD996T as a Base Unit

If I wish to use the BCD996T as a base unit, not mobile, will the GPS availablity be effective for me? Such as making a zone surrounding a site to have selective listening. Or does GPS only work when you are mobile? I've been reading the threads and very interested in the scanner. The trunking system is being built and probably won't be operational until the end of 2006 or early 2007. I have an idea that I will be able to scan it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, GPS will work, but it won't provide any benefit unless your base is in an RV that moves at least occasionally...

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Garmin is warning GPS owners about using suction cups to hold antennas on windshield in Calif and Minn. Here is there statement:
"NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA: State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor vehicles. Other state or local laws may also prohibit drivers from using suction cups on their windshields. (See California Vehicle Code Section 26708(a); Minnesota Statutes 2005, Section 169.71)"

Read the Calif code it would probably prohibit a thru the glass antenna hooked to a scanner on front winshield.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
26708 (a) California Vehicle Code Exceptions - (b), (c), and (d)

When reading CA law, one must continue reading to the exceptions (there are usually exceptions).

26708 (a) California Vehicle Code reads:
26708.(a)
(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.
(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.
(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

However, 26708 (b), (c), and (d) reads:
(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(1) Rearview mirrors.
(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.
(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.
(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.
(5) Direction, destination, or termini signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.
(6) Rear window wiper motor.
(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.
(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
(9) A clear, transparent lens affixed to the side window opposite the driver on a vehicle greater than 80 inches in width and which occupies an area not exceeding 50 square inches of the lowest corner toward the rear of that window and which provides the driver with a wide-angle view through the lens.
(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.
(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:
(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.
(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.
(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:
(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.
(2) The material is not red or amber in color.
(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.
(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.
(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:
(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.
(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.
(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.
(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.
(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Now I am not sure if there is a loophole here anywhere, but there it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.