Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Again, read about 4 posts up. The scanner has no USB port. The port on the front is serial.
There is also a DB9 port on the back of the scanner you could use to connect w/your PC, although it is primarily intended for GPS connectivity.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Well, without it on the front, how are you going to make programming changes to an in-dash setup. I'd hate like hell to tear apart my dash each time I wanted to add a system...ouch! Mine (on order already via Hamstation) won't be used in such an aspect, but having that front serial connection is key for those that do. The Radio Shack PRO-2096 (also DIN mountable) has their PC/IF on the front as well. It's a must.

I wish I could have made it to Dayton this year to see you guys and the above setup...but I had to save my money to buy a BCD996T.... ;)

Go-24 said:
I had thought about using this as a base scanner, but I sure wouldnt want the usb coming out of the front in that application. It seems they made a conscious effort to think about aesthetics and then placed a wart on the face. I guess in its mobile application (as it was designed) having that connection on the front "might" be convenient.

epbernstein

I have my preorder in, and the software downloaded. :p

I know I saw instructions for how to import my 396 data into the 996. Can someone give me a pointer, please?

HIP

Serial port?

I hesitated posting on this matter fearing I might be way off and sound like a moron,but i'll give it my best shot. I am resonably certain the port on the front of the 996 is a firewire port.nor is it called a serial port which is commonly called a db9 or a usb port. The firewire port is used the same as both.Serial port,db9 are the same. usb,firewire are different but all the aforementioned connectors accomplish the same thing with the proper cables.And the look of it on the frontis not noticeable.I did know what it was until I saw the cable plugged in.

Mike T. kc8rrm
DCD996T (ordered)
785d
Pro 2096
Kenwood TMD700
Kenwood TS2000

jf222

moving files from 396 to 996

The data files are under my documents/usad_database/BCD396T - USAD_config and USAD_systems. Simply copy those you entered or modified [not the preloaded you do not use] to the corresponding directory under .../BCD996T. You will have to check them for items that are new to the 996 program.

In this way you can have a file ready for the 996 that will duplicate your 396.

N9JIG

Sheriff
First, as said elsewhere, the port is RS232, not USB.
Second, the port on the front is the same as used on the BC396 and 330 handhelds, and the 996 uses the same cable.
Third, the reason there is a serial port on the front is that with the DIN mounting the rear serial port may not be accessible, so this allows one to program or control the radio from the front panel. Imagine the radio installed into a DIN slot, and this allows access to the serial port without removing the radio.

One can also use the rear serial port if they wish.

In order to use USB to program or control the radio you need either the Uniden USB cable (an additional cost extra, available from ScannerMaster or Uniden) or an RS232 to USB converter. I use an Iten for my 396, I presume it will work with the 996 when I get mine.

Go-24 said:
egads - Is that the USB connector on the front of the scanner? Surely not - yep it is ... actually never looked at it close enough in the past to see that.

I had thought about using this as a base scanner, but I sure wouldnt want the usb coming out of the front in that application. It seems they made a conscious effort to think about aesthetics and then placed a wart on the face. I guess in its mobile application (as it was designed) having that connection on the front "might" be convenient.

Go-24

scancapecod said:
Well, without it on the front, how are you going to make programming changes to an in-dash setup.

USB, Serial, or what ever ... I wouldnt want either on the front panel of a prospective base scanner. I think this is the most attractive scanner made to date, but with the connection coming out of the front, I wouldnt want it sitting on my desk.

Oh and yes scancapcod, I know its intended usage ie in mobile applications, I even stated in the post you quoted that it might be convenient in that situation. I said might because IMO I think the cable could have been ran from the rear out and under the dash or better yet into the glove box and pulled only when needed.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"I think this is the most attractive scanner made to date, but with the connection coming out of the front, I wouldnt want it sitting on my desk."

It's really not noticable. 1) Not many people say "Wow, that's a good looking scanner on your desk." And of those that do, none will say "Except for that 1 centimeter jack" ;>

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Go-24 said:
USB, Serial, or what ever ... I wouldnt want either on the front panel of a prospective base scanner. I think this is the most attractive scanner made to date, but with the connection coming out of the front, I wouldnt want it sitting on my desk.

OMG!

I know and I realize it's "your right" and you're entitled to your opinion or to not like something but COME ON! That little connector is that big of a deal for you?!

Do you realize that you don't have to have that cable sticking out of the scanner all the time? That it's only for programming or changing the programming on the scanner once it's installed and then it's gone?

It's all about convenience, practicality and accessibility.

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that somebody would have an objection to that small connector.....

I'm sure if it wasn't there, other people would be *****ing about it too.... :roll:

epbernstein

jf222 said:
The data files are under my documents/usad_database/BCD396T - USAD_config and USAD_systems. Simply copy those you entered or modified [not the preloaded you do not use] to the corresponding directory under .../BCD996T. You will have to check them for items that are new to the 996 program.

In this way you can have a file ready for the 996 that will duplicate your 396.

Thanks for the help!

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Go-24 said:
I said might because IMO I think the cable could have been ran from the rear out and under the dash or better yet into the glove box and pulled only when needed.

Do you realize that the radio also has the connections in the back to do that if you so desire BUT what are you going to do if the cable works itself loose or you need to replace the cable, etc.? You'll have to pull out the whole thing and do twice the work, etc.....

AndrewC75

Go-24 said:

So use the rear connector, and leave the front connector unused. It's like a PC with front-mounted USB connectors.... Use them if you want - but if you don't want to, there are plenty of USB connectors on the back too.

STiMULi

UPMan said:
Only if you need connectivity support from Uniden. Other converters work, too.

The cable that comes with the scanner, is it the one that connects to the front of the scanner on one end and then it is serial on the other? (I already understand that both front and rear ports are Serial although the front connector looks USB :))

If this is true then will a standard serial to USB converter will accomplish the mission to connect to a USB port on a PC although the UNIDEN cable is the "recommended cable"

I am not trying to be cheap but if it works why not?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The front port cable comes with the scanner. Third-party USB-->serial converters will work as well on the BCD996T as they do on any of our (or RS's) other models.

rfaricy

You do sound like a moron. The BCD996T does NOT have a freaking firewire port. Paul (UPMan, the product manager for Uniden) has stated several times in the thread that it is a PROPRIETARY SERIAL CONNECTION!

Ryan
N0NRF

HIP said:
I hesitated posting on this matter fearing I might be way off and sound like a moron,but i'll give it my best shot. I am resonably certain the port on the front of the 996 is a firewire port.nor is it called a serial port which is commonly called a db9 or a usb port. The firewire port is used the same as both.Serial port,db9 are the same. usb,firewire are different but all the aforementioned connectors accomplish the same thing with the proper cables.And the look of it on the frontis not noticeable.I did know what it was until I saw the cable plugged in.

Mike T. kc8rrm
DCD996T (ordered)
785d
Pro 2096
Kenwood TMD700
Kenwood TS2000

mancow

Database Admin
I just noticed the pic from Dayton.

Man, I was really hoping it was going to be all black like the image on their site.

Go-24

kikito said:
I know and I realize it's "your right" and you're entitled to your opinion or to not like something but COME ON! That little connector is that big of a deal for you?!

I guess I am just always looking for something to B' about. ;) maybe it wont be so noticeable with a rubber plug in the void.

Cant wait to hear some real user reviews / experiences in the next month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.