Official BCT-15 Post Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Exactly!!! That's why I couldn't understand why they didn't save the best look for their highest model.

I wonder what a model 15 black front costs?

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
You know, I've been enjoying my Pro-97/2055 combo but I'm really feelin that picture.

Sweet indeed!! Little by little I'm being pulled toward the world of Uniden.

Never had one of their scanners before but I'm starting to get that itch and you guys know what I'm talking about.

I know there are bigger and better things out there and right now they got Uniden written on them.

STiMULi

safetyobc said:
SWEET!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for mine! That looks better than the 996 to me! Thanks!

Sorry to say this as a new 996 owner but I think you are right! The earlier photos of the 996 showed a more gunmetal look to the front panel but it is just silver.

Looks like I will do what Upman suggests and buy the black panel for the 15 and take the time to replace it.

Last edited:

bonus1331

STiMULi said:
Sorry to say this as a new 996 owner but I think you are right! The earlier photos of the 996 showed a more gunmetal look to the front panel but it is just silver.

Looks like I will do what Upman suggests and buy the black panel for the 15 and take the time to replace it.

We really are all a bunch of freaks;-) (Never completely satisfied are we?)
I'll trade you my panel for your green LED's....

STiMULi

DaveIN said:
Maybe it's time for aftermarket faceplates for the BCD996T and BCT15...

Depending of the complexity of removal and replacment that would be a great idea!

UPMAN already said it would be tough

Go-24

bonus1331 said:
We really are all a bunch of freaks;-) (Never completely satisfied are we?)
I'll trade you my panel for your green LED's....

Never satisified?

Probably not, but when you show me a preview image of a 996 thats black, has a red backlight, and a serial plug, then ship me a gray/silver 996 with an orange light and no plug, its more difficult to be satisfied.

Now we have the BCT15, I preordered weeks ago thinking that it would display nicely next to my 996 - I assumed it too would be gray/silver and have the same green led lights. Now I find out that the preview of this was actually correct, its black, and they left out the green lights.

If a gray/silver faceplate is made available for the BCT15 I will order one for sure! Either that or I get some spray paint and do it myself. course if its too "tough" to remove, I guess I am stuck with something I assumed would be different, based on PAST experience!

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The only black unit I am aware of having been shown by Uniden was at CES and was clearly marked as prototype and disclaimed by Uniden as not being cosmetically correct (or were you also expecting the keys to be marked with little press-on stickers? :) ). All preview images relating to the actual cosmetic design show it as silver over grey. If you know of any places showing the unit as black w/o that disclaimer, let me know so that I can get that corrected.

STiMULi

Upman what would be the procedure?

Not that you are allowed to advocate the manipulation of a new scanner.

Would you ever have thought there would be a market for scanner faceplates? :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As the BCT15 just shipped (and the faceplate bezel shouldn't really be a high-volume part under normal repair) I would doubt that we have good supply of those parts. But, should you choose to make the attempt (which I cannot advocate) you would call our Parts department.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
Is the backlight at all similer to the pro-2096? That is really orange but i wouldn't mind it b/c it would fit in fine.

CommRX

swest90 said:
Arg, I thought this had the green display also. Thats kind of a let down, but oh well. Yeah I woulda paid $10 more. Maybe after I have it for a while (And the warranty runs out) I will dig out the leds and try to switch em out myself. Really too bad they didnt add the green on this model.

Wow, This is all a surprise to me. I haven't been tracking the BCT15 threads. I thought the BCT15 had a green backlight also.
So now the options are:
A silver radio with the green (or orange) backlight
A black radio with an orange backlight.
Why not a black radio with a green backlight? Everything one could want in the wrong combinations.
Since the BCT15 is basically a stripped 996, could there be a keypress combo/mod/firmware update to change the color? I’ll pay. Could the installed LED’s in the BCT15 be dual color as in the 996 with that option turned off? Car manufacturers simply turn off some options on lower priced vehicle models since it is cheaper to manufacture one part and deactivate a sector than to manufacture two different parts.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Extra components (i.e. LED's) cost money that you can save on the bottom line and allow for a lower price to the consumer and can mean more sales.

The BCD996T comes with a DIN sleeve and the UASD software (download) is included in the price, not so for the BCT15.

As for orange vs. green, I'm sure orange was based on the previous models of BearTrackers and other mobiles that were orange. Too bad "blue" didn't make the cut on the 996.

garys

Premium Subscriber
At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, it seems that some people are too hung up on aesthetics and aren't concerned enough about performance.

The BCT15 is an extension of the Bear Tracker scanners with some added features (very nice ones) from the 996T and 396T radios. It's closer to entry level than advanced level.

To meet a certain price point, they had to delete some features. Dual color display, digital, the DIN bracket, software, and some other stuff I can't think of at the minute. Still, for about $220-30.00 you are getting a very nice scanner.

I think they figured that the black face plate would be better for a scanner that they envision as being almost exclusively used mobile. The 996T appeals to a wider audience, and I think that Uniden felt that the silver face would be more appealing. Personally, I'd like to see black for both, but I'm not going to complain about it.

Gary

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Yes... let's hear about the performance please!

Black also gets my vote, and would look slick with a green backlight, but how is reception?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I hope to have a package waiting for me when I get home from work. If so, I'll program the scanner and run it through it's paces.

Gary

Go-24

My BCT15 arrived today around 11am - works great, but it sure would like a lot nicer if it had green backligthing or was silver over gray. Maybe I will get some pics up later tonight.

This box actually states "scanner" where as the 996 box said "scanners" so they fixed that anyway. hahaha!

Not only that it appears they want to charge me at min $8 to ship the CD, LORDY I just downloaded the damn thing, just email me my code I dont want a CD !!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.