Official BCT-15 Post Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Just got mine in today, using the UASD to program it now. Ran it through its paces this afternoon. Impressive analog only reciver. Love the display and Control Channel Only - Do Not Disturb.

If you plan to progam a few systems I recommend the UASD program too. It has a great stand alone Online Control with extended logging.

Dave_D

Low-Profile Mobile Antenna?

Hi all,

Which mobile antennas would you recommend for the BCT15 where aesthetics are important? [I'm dash-installing in my Porsche.] I'd prefer completely hidden or some kind of a puck/wedge. Will one of those 'stubby' antennas work from beneath the dash? Furthermore, the car is a convertible, so there's really no real estate for a magnet-type mount....

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Dave

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
DaveIN said:
Love the display and Control Channel Only - Do Not Disturb.
CC DND is so unobtrusive, I never disable the feature. If you use the BCT15 mobile with the right antenna, CC Hits are impressive. There were many CC hits from aircraft landing and taking off from PHL, local small airport towers, ATIS, public safety radio repeaters, etc.

The font size of the display is perfect for those with failing eyesight, and makes it easy to read the alpha tags.

Dave AKA The Tripzter

Go-24

DaveIN said:
Just got mine in today, using the UASD to program it now. Ran it through its paces this afternoon. Impressive analog only reciver. Love the display and Control Channel Only - Do Not Disturb.

If you plan to progam a few systems I recommend the UASD program too. It has a great stand alone Online Control with extended logging.

hmmm I recall when I downloaded the 996 UASD I was sent a registration code for the software. I didn't get one with the 15 UASD and it states in demo mode it will only permit uploading of files with certain names. Do you have a link to the registration page or to a page where I can get the code?

safetyobc

Go-24 said:
hmmm I recall when I downloaded the 996 UASD I was sent a registration code for the software. I didn't get one with the 15 UASD and it states in demo mode it will only permit uploading of files with certain names. Do you have a link to the registration page or to a page where I can get the code?

UASD will cost you $29.99. I looked through Uniden's Online Store, which is a pain to navigate and found it here http://www.uniden.com/store/itemdetail.cfm?item=BCT15UASD only after doing a search for it. You'd think it would be linked to the BCT15 page? Uniden's website could use lots of upgrades.

Go-24

Yes, I looked on the BCT15 page and seen nothing about it other than the download link! No help files in the software either to lead me where I needed to be. One would think that it would come with a damn CD to begin with, oh well!

Thank goodness for RR - and thanks to you ;)

STiMULi

You guys let me know if you can download the State imbeded freqs for the Beartracker function. I am interested in comparing them for a few states (Colorado for one :))

garys

Premium Subscriber
The software is easy to find. Go to the on line store and select Software. It's on that page and you can buy the key and have it emailed to you in about 10 minutes.

On to the important stuff. The scanner was there when I got home. I had it set up and programmed in about 10 minutes. Sensitivity seems about the same as the 996, which is very good. I used UASD15 to program the scanner, copying the system files from the UASD996. All I need to make sure of is that I delete any digital channels I may have in the various systems.
Those will go into the 796D, which will now be the back up scanner.

Not a lot not to like about the scanner. The feature set is a reduced version of the 996, so if you have one of those, this scanner will be easy to get used to.

In person, I like the silver face plate more, for those keeping track. Since the face plate on the BCT15 is flat black, it looks like a less expensive scanner, which it is.

If you live in a non digital area, this will make a good primary mobile or base scanner.
Gary

bonus1331

Two of my favorite features:-
-Temp. lockout-can finally complete search ranges without fear of forgetting what frequencies you'd locked out in the past.
-Dual display mode-finally able to get the alpha tag and TGID or frequency on the same screen.

Perfect fit for anyone with a 330,396, or 996. Each radio with the same SK's, GP's, and search ranges makes it easier for an old, middle-aged, short term memory impaired guy like me!

One quibble-I wish Uniden would stop tweaking the GUI on the software. The 396 and 330 are almost identical, but the 15 is not the same.

I'm happy with the purchase.

pcfn360

Quick questio about the BCT-15...The description says it can automatically decode CTCSS/DCS codes. Can you actually enter these codes when programming? I'm curious becuase the description of the 996 states the codes are assignable. If this radio can be programmed with tones I think it's a great deal!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yes, it can be set to search for CTCSS/DCS or to the actual code. You can also lock out specific codes so the radio does not stop on the channel. You can do a Quick save by pressing "E" when the code is found. You can use the search with Close Call too.

Last edited:

bonus1331

Function+7(RCL)

Dawned on me today after a week with the BCT-15 that there is no function like on the 330 or 396 to hold on a channel, hit the function and 7 button to quickly get to another channel.....
or is there?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
bonus1331 said:
Dawned on me today after a week with the BCT-15 that there is no function like on the 330 or 396 to hold on a channel, hit the function and 7 button to quickly get to another channel.....
or is there?

No Func+7, just hold the func button in for >2 seconds and it says "Function Key Holding" the "F" is displayed, then you turn the scroll control to "Select System", press FUNC to enter HOLD, Press FUNC again then scroll to the channel or talkgroup you wish to hold on. Works on the 996 too.

One handed operation.

Last edited:

Eric61

BCT-15 Memory

Does anyone know how the memory in the BCT-15 compares to the BC-246T? Will the BCT-15 hold more, or are they about the same? Both say 2500 channels, but the BCT-15 holds 500 systems, whereas the BC-246T holds 200. I suppose what I am trying to find out is if the current programming of the 246 uses 88% of the memory, will the same programming in the 15 also use 88%.

-Eric

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Since the number of channels is the same in both - that would make sense... Alpha tags would make a difference though.

Last edited:

safetyobc

Eric61 said:
Does anyone know how the memory in the BCT-15 compares to the BC-246T? Will the BCT-15 hold more, or are they about the same? Both say 2500 channels, but the BCT-15 holds 500 systems, whereas the BC-246T holds 200. I suppose what I am trying to find out is if the current programming of the 246 uses 88% of the memory, will the same programming in the 15 also use 88%.

-Eric

The BC246T will hold 2500 channels (1600 with text). The BCT15 will hold 2500 with text or without.

Sooo, the BCT15 will hold more programming than the BC246T. The BCT15 and BR330T have similar memory structures.

maalox

hello. does the bct15 have a duplicate freq check per bank only or all banks.

Status
Not open for further replies.