OFFICIAL MSWIN Thread

frazmandemo

does anyone know if lauderdale county has any plans for joining the mswin network?because the dmr system they have seems like it would hamper cross county pursuits such as they had earlier this month.

TheRadioGuru

I'm one of those "in the know" people.... Lauderdale nor Meridian have any plans soon to leave the DMR system. While there are issues... they don't really care too much because cost per radio with encryption (free on TRBO) vs one with encryption for the MSWIN. Interopertability can be a slight issue over here but being the majority of MHP units have loaner radios on the ComSouth system, it's not really that bad. Also all Clarke County vehicles still have the DMR radios in them for interop with other agencies and Clarke County fire. So to answer your question.. no, not anytime soon...... This ComSouth system is still just a few years old for them.

Hammerguy69

I'm one of those "in the know" people.... Lauderdale nor Meridian have any plans soon to leave the DMR system. While there are issues... they don't really care too much because cost per radio with encryption (free on TRBO) vs one with encryption for the MSWIN. Interopertability can be a slight issue over here but being the majority of MHP units have loaner radios on the ComSouth system, it's not really that bad. Also all Clarke County vehicles still have the DMR radios in them for interop with other agencies and Clarke County fire. So to answer your question.. no, not anytime soon...... This ComSouth system is still just a few years old for them.

I see you have MSWIN in you alias. DO you you work for MSWIN?

TheRadioGuru

My employer or afflations will remain under wraps.... And the DMR out in East MS isn't bad as most MHP units have loaner DMR radios for interop and being just about all of East Central MS is on it, it makes it more of a regional TRS.

TheRadioGuru

As I may or may not be an end user to both systems....the ComSouth COMNET system is nothing compared to MSWIN, only thing that sets it apart is the price per subscriber equipment.... The MSWIN wins 10-1 over the TRBO system.

frazmandemo

i do not know if i agree. the mswin in this area at times is very spoty. but the dmr seems to be at full bars at all times.in jones county... the mswin wins... in newton,jasper..etc... but here in the extreme east ms... dmr has got it.

TheRadioGuru

Let me put it this way... I am an end user around the Clarke County area, I've had numerous experiences where a COMNET radio would not change sites or wouldn't unlock from Meridian... Or have absolutely no service towards the south east of the county or even inside some office buildings in downtown Quitman... While I've had no issues getting out or site changes with the MSWIN around Clarke County with the exception of ONE building... With basic lower tier subscriber units putting out less power than the DMR radios do.

frazmandemo

well.... i have helped when it floods along the river... and the mwsin works good near the towers...but in some areas...not so much. i know they have only gone to mswin in the last couple of years.. but the dmr works good here.maybe it just where the cars are...but that is why clarke also has a channel on the dmr...some areas the mswin just is not that great.

Hammerguy69

i do not know if i agree. the mswin in this area at times is very spoty. but the dmr seems to be at full bars at all times.in jones county... the mswin wins... in newton,jasper..etc... but here in the extreme east ms... dmr has got it.

Well if you have read any of the MSWIN info it was built as a mobile system and not designed as a portable system It is built to a higher standard than DMR. Federal Govt does not recognize DMR and you cant spend Federal Grant monies on it. DMR is NOT public safety grade, Like Blake said the main thing that attracts folks is the cheaper price of radios.

Hammerguy69

well.... i have helped when it floods along the river... and the mwsin works good near the towers...but in some areas...not so much. i know they have only gone to mswin in the last couple of years.. but the dmr works good here.maybe it just where the cars are...but that is why clarke also has a channel on the dmr...some areas the mswin just is not that great.

Which flood did you help with? if it was 2011 they weren't built out along the river. Per meeting minutes i read they were co located on others towers. They have since built everything out and have pretty good coverage from what I'v seen.

Hammerguy69

Let me put it this way... I am an end user around the Clarke County area, I've had numerous experiences where a COMNET radio would not change sites or wouldn't unlock from Meridian... Or have absolutely no service towards the south east of the county or even inside some office buildings in downtown Quitman... While I've had no issues getting out or site changes with the MSWIN around Clarke County with the exception of ONE building... With basic lower tier subscriber units putting out less power than the DMR radios do.

I agree. Plus radios will put out more power on VHF vs 700/800 MHz.

frazmandemo

there have been several in my 20 plus years here i helped with. before that i helped out in lauderdale. there have been weather related emergencies several times since mswin was put in.

SYZ1165

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing from my friend in LINCOLN co. That he has heard no traffic from Brookhaven FD recently on the countywide VHF repeaters, which is leaving him to believe that Brookhaven FD has moved to MISWIN is there anyway to confirm this by using the TRX – 1 scanner? As I will be in the area monitoring system ?