Official PRO-2096 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdhogg

PRO-96 Programming

I am having trouble scanning the Garland, TX PD frequencies. I program the frequencies in as Motorola like the book says but the scanner will not pick up anything. All the other trunking systems work but this one. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help? Thanks

mciupa

Boomer
Pro 96

Hi RD

It looks like a straight forward Motorola Type II system.
Do you have all the control channels(4) programmed in?
Is your location within a reasonable distance to pick up this system?

Try also posting in theTexas Radio Discussion Forum
as well and see if some fellow Texans can help you :wink:

jgarber311

W8CEN
Premium Subscriber
MARCS

When programming the PRO 96 for Ohio's new digital MARCS system, should we program in every frequency in order to hear the system? Or, is it done per location or transmitter?
ps- I get my new PRO 96 next week!!!!

KB8TTR

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Re: MARCS

jgarber311 said:
When programming the PRO 96 for Ohio's new digital MARCS system, should we program in every frequency in order to hear the system? Or, is it done per location or transmitter?
ps- I get my new PRO 96 next week!!!!

KB8TTR

Just program the control channels for the sites that are close to your location.

Mike

wolverine

The problem im talking about is with the PRO-96, while monitoring a digital system on a digital talkgroup, sometimes the scanner will change from digital mode into MO mode for a second or two and the user will hear undecoded raw digital data instead of the voice transmissions.
A simple fix for this problem would be in the software and not the hardware, all they have to do is add a option into the scanner so that the user can turn off the automatic feature and manually set a system for digital mode and it will stay in the digital mode preventing the user from hearing raw digital data. It's not asking for much and if this problem is not fixed on the new PR0-2096, im going to buy a Uniden digital mobile scanner instead of the PRO-2096.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
wolverine,

Now I understand the problem. I've been lucky and only seen that happen on mine very few times and it's been when I'm in a 'fringe' area or there's interference. Having the option to permanently set the radio to digital I don't think will solve the problem. Then instead of raw data you will get loud squeaks, "digitized voice" and other annoying sounds just like the real Motorola radios do. Maybe a better solution is to have the radio stay muted if the signal and/or decoding drops below a threshold.

For what is worth, whenever I get raw data, digitized sounds or squeaks from a transmission not being properly decoded, usually happens on both (BC296D and Pro-96) while side by side. In fact, I see it happen more on the Uniden (undecoded data noise) while the Pro-96 will just sit there receiving the transmission but muted. I also think that the Pro-96 is faster in detecting and decoding digital than the BC296. Anyway, that's just my opinion and non-scientific observations. ;)

wolverine

User with digital scanners in the Hamilton county, OH area are having problems with grabbled transmissions and the raw data thing for a long time. It's too the point were we can pretty much forget about going mobile with are scanners. I know that the XTS radios on the system arent having these problems like the scanners are. The funny thing is that the Clermont county, OH C4FM system comes in better when driving around the Hamilton county area then the Hamilton county CQPSK system. Clermont county is far away from my monitoring area.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Ah, I didn't realized you were refering to the infamous Hamilton County CQPSK problem that I've heard a lot about. I thought the Unidens were having the same problem with that system?
Another thing I don't remember from past threads about this is, if there's other CQPSK systems being succesfully monitored by either brand of radio or just in this system where the problem has been observed.

Hopefully the scanner manufacturers will come out with an update to "alleviate" the problem.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Re: marcs

jgarber311 said:
So, should I program in every frequency listed on the database for Ohio MARCS if I travel around Ohio?

If you travel around all 88 counties in Ohio you will need to program all the control channels listed for MARCS.

Mike

Sparx

Re: Wish list

baybum said:
I'd like to see them add wide band FM so you can monitor local TV and FM broadcast stations. And how about a clock with alarm function?
I have an old RS PRO-2004 and I still think it was one of the best things GRE ever made.

GRE RULES!

Mike

I agree that GRE rules. For an all-mode handheld, try an Alinco DJ-X10. Better wideband FM than 2004!

I have 4 - 2006's & 2 - 2067's. They are far better sounding than any Uniden to my ears.

I am looking for a DX-394 HF Receiver to try out, also GRE.

Sparx

wolverine

I would program all of the frequencies for the area's you will vist. If you can hear more than one county system in your monitoring area like i can hear the Butler and Hamilton county systems from were im at so i have one system program in one bank and the other system in a different bank. It's up to you if you want to program different Marcs system's into there own separate banks, i program all my trunked system into there own separate banks and i found that works the best for me.

kikito, the only CQPSK Digital systems that are online in this area is the Hamilton county system. Clermont county is a C4FM system and it comes in better then the Hamilton county system.

LarrySC

PRO-96/2096 digital TRICK. If you think new digital talk groups will be poping up on the system and you may miss them, then do this. Program all known talk groups into a seperate bank. LOCK OUT all of them except for one or two thats not too busy. Then if new digital ID's appear you will see and hear them. IT WORKS.

CCTV

Premium Subscriber
---save yourself sometime and just program the control channels in and scan on control channel only...note --the 800 system in Ohio is not operational state wide yet...

scnnr

That's good I might have some money by then. Plus it'll be a year since I bought the 96. I now have an excuse to spend more money :D :D[/quote]

:) I am going to have to quit reading these forums. You guys talk to much. Your going to have me drooling for one also when they come out to add to the 96 :wink:

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.