Official PRO-2096 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwadler

hey people any more news on this scanner. I have a bc785D but will be looking to upgrade and am not ready to stay with uniden

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
RS is still hoping for an August/September 04 release date.

scannerfreak

Well Known Member
Database Admin
I can't find anything listed under RS or GRE. Anyone else know what else to search for?

Voyager

wolverine said:
Anything on the FCC web site, any Pictures of the new scanner.

Not yet. It hasn't received type acceptance yet.

There is something new from a company called Repidtrade. Not sure exactly what it is, as the docs aren't there yet.

I'm kinda hoping they are making changes to the 2096 that people have complaints about on the PRO-96 - such as a user-programmable bandplan, or at least a current USA bandplan, and SNFM support. WFM would be nice, too - especially if they make it DIN sized like the 2067 so you can replace your stereo with it. Wouldn't it be great if they added a CD/MP3 player and made it FM stereo? Then, you could actually replace your stereo while only losing AM broadcast. :D

Joe M.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Voyager said:
Wouldn't it be great if they added a CD/MP3 player and made it FM stereo? Then, you could actually replace your stereo while only losing AM broadcast. :D

Why stop there? Let's include GPS Navigation, XM satellite radio, Satellite TV, a dvd player, an 8 inch plasma screen monitor and 4x300 watts RMS with a built in surround sound crossover that remains stable at 1.5 ohms so you can hook that bad boy up to 6 18" subwoofers and FINALLY DROWN OUT that little punk neighbor kid and his nOS boosted primer gray, beat to hell, dying lawmowers sound better than this, Honda Mobile Earthquake civic hatchback! :twisted:

Seriously, I guess it would be cool, but that would add $$$ to the price, for probably generic components inside(since GRE doesn't do the car audio thing). No thanks. I'd rather spend less money on just the scanner itself. Let GRE stick to the one thing they've shown they know well.

Of course that's just my opinion...

-AZ

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Last I heard the 2096, will be almost identical in nature to the 96, but will be a base/mobile configuration. I do hope it has a good PC interface port, preferrably USB port, but knowing RS, it'll be the pin type. Its rumored that the next portable will be a trunker (Non Digital with LTR capability) with the aplha tagging. At least from the gossip, maybe GRE is listening to real scanner users? (It also seems that true to form both Radio Shack, and Uniden are pretty much keeping up with each other, except Uniden beat em to the punch with the base/mobile digital scanners.)

Voyager

AZScanner said:
Voyager said:
Wouldn't it be great if they added a CD/MP3 player and made it FM stereo? Then, you could actually replace your stereo while only losing AM broadcast. :D

Seriously, I guess it would be cool, but that would add $$$ to the price, for probably generic components inside(since GRE doesn't do the car audio thing). No thanks. I'd rather spend less money on just the scanner itself. Let GRE stick to the one thing they've shown they know well.

Then why hold onto the DIN size at all? Most people won't give up AM/FM/CDs for a scanner. But, I bet many would for even a moderate performance unit. As for cost, look at how much you can get a portable AM/FM/CD plater for - $20 or less. You can even get MP3 with that for another $30 or so. It would only add 10% on the price (assuming they manage to keep in priced with the PRO-96).

Joe M.

Voyager

milf said:
Its rumored that the next portable will be a trunker (Non Digital with LTR capability) with the aplha tagging.

I doubt they will add LTR when they haven't added it to their flagship unit.
It couldn't be an upgrade, but could be added to the new unit firmware.

Joe M.

scannerfreak

Well Known Member
Database Admin
In my opinion adding anything new to the 2096 will be suicide for pro-96 sales. Why by the pro-96 when you can get the "added new features" of the new pro-2096?

Voyager

scanner_freak said:
In my opinion adding anything new to the 2096 will be suicide for pro-96 sales. Why by the pro-96 when you can get the "added new features" of the new pro-2096?

Uhhh... because you want PORTABILITY?

This is a poor argument because you have ALWAYS had both portable and mobile/base versions of scanners. If one could serve all purposes, you might have a legitimate argument, but that's not the case. Each has specific uses that the other cannot cover. In fact, recently there are even dedicated portables - I.E. Race scanners, digital scanners, 'rural' scanners, Etc.

Joe M.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Voyager said:
Then why hold onto the DIN size at all? Most people won't give up AM/FM/CDs for a scanner. But, I bet many would for even a moderate performance unit. As for cost, look at how much you can get a portable AM/FM/CD plater for - $20 or less. You can even get MP3 with that for another $30 or so. It would only add 10% on the price (assuming they manage to keep in priced with the PRO-96).

I'm guessing it's because it's a single DIN size and most vehicles have a dual DIN size slot, meaning one could replace that P.O.S. stock stereo with a new single DIN unit, leaving a perfect spot for the 2096.

Plus they already have the factory set up to crank out those little metal cases. No retooling needed for those machines... unless of course you want to pay for that too (all these costs are passed on to you, the consumer.)

If they want to morph together a cd player/am/fm tuner/scanner I think a portable version would be the way to go. That would be a great way to monitor in situations where a scanner would attract unwanted attention, like inside an airplane or at the amusement park. Who's going to bug the guy listening to "tunes" on his cd player?

-AZ

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Multiple formats,.. preciselyyy... Look at the PRO-2052, and its counterpart the PRO-94... as far as trunking identical,.. both have 1000 chans, but--- With the 94 you can both trunktrack, and scan the conventional, the 2052 does not. The 2052 does mil air, the 94 does not. every portable is slightly different in its capabilities from its base/mobile counterparts. With the 2096 you might get the already opened mil air or 700 where as with the 96 these have to have special software to open. Just a couple more months and we shall see, assuming there is no delays.

mlevin

Will, Win96 work the 2096 as well? Also, the only thing I ask from GRE, is that they make an easier way to navigate to a Talkgroup. Like on the Unidens.

Voyager

mlevin said:
Will, Win96 work the 2096 as well? Also, the only thing I ask from GRE, is that they make an easier way to navigate to a Talkgroup. Like on the Unidens.

While I too would like to be able to press MANUAL and hold on a TG, as opposed to holding on the control channel, :roll:

I don't think that FUNC TRUNK <TG#> FUNC TRUNK is that difficult. Granted, you won't get the text tag, but BFD. :shock:

Joe M.

mlevin

Huh, I don't think you understood me. I meant MAN+TG#+MAN like on the Unidens. Any other way will get you into a car wreck. Not good for a mobile.

Voyager

mlevin said:
Huh, I don't think you understood me. I meant MAN+TG#+MAN like on the Unidens. Any other way will get you into a car wreck. Not good for a mobile.

Mo, you're arguing pressing MAN vs FUNC TRUNK. It's only 7 keypresses for a 3-digit TG as opposed to 5. If 7 keys will cause an accident, so will 5.

Joe M.

Status
Not open for further replies.