OP25 OP25MCH | OP25 Mobile Control Head

BinaryMode

It is technically possible to run it on the phone directly in a chroot linux, problem is audio... I could stream out via icecast but then we have to worry about sync for the talkgroup data as well as how to pull the audio.
There's still some tricks up my sleeve so maybe we'll get there.

Would you happen to know if an alternative OS like GrapheneOS or CalyxOS would achieve an out of bands so to speak chroot environment?

Even though I run OPNsense and have ran OP25 and other stuff I'm a massive Linux noob so not too sure. As it is, I find myself at ChatGPT or Stack Exchange finding my Linux questions.

I recently had to edit a config file in my OPNsesne router/firewall using vi and it was utter hell for me to do. But ChatGPT helped me greatly. I mean, :wq?! What does that even stand for, is what this Linux noob would like to know? LOL I'm mostly a GUI person and as such a mostly command (terminal) driven OS is not my forte. But I'd like to learn.

Last edited:

boatbod

One other question/idea? Any idea for linking in non-trunked systems? Example in heavy traffic and want to scan cb frequencies or for including older systems that are non-trunked? With the multi-rx.py I wasn't sure how there could be a list, with rx.py I could see attaching one tuner to scan the list of systems in the tsv and attach another tuner to something like SDRUno and scanning a set of frequencies?

The other thing I've thought about is how to install this on something like picore so it is always a fresh install every time it starts up and I don't have to worry about corruption of the sd card.

As you can see, I probably have much grander ideas than my technical abilities allow me to do. Thank you again for moving this forward.
rx.py can only scan between trunked systems. You can park on a conventional P25 freq, but then it won't scan.
multi_rx.py can receive multiple simultaneous conventional and trunked P25 freqs (up to the limits of the sdr bandwidth and cpu cycles available) but it doesn't switch between systems the same way as a scanner does.

bucket772

Feed Provider
Database creation is already done, we're able to create a TSV for each site in the system so that while we drive around sites are switched out based on GPS position. That part is working :)

A range option is an interesting idea which I think may work better than my static way of doing it.

The scan grid isn't done yet but would let users create custom scan lists, however doing that on mobile may be difficult.
I'm interested in this idea of yours to load fire/ems/etc though. Perhaps I can setup scangrid to be set from the get-go when a system is created?

There's definitely somewhere to go with that one!
Impressive work for sure. I might even have to go find a cheap Android online. Anyway, something to consider, and I do not know if your app does, but, does it take into account encrypted talkgroups? If so, does it just not add them into the file or do they get blacklisted? I could be mistaken but I believe it is better to add an encrypted talkgroup into a blacklist rather than just the -nocrypt tag in the command line because the software will still stop on it, it will just not pass the audio

AD8NT

Sarah Rose (Formerly KR0SIV)
Premium Subscriber
Impressive work for sure. I might even have to go find a cheap Android online. Anyway, something to consider, and I do not know if your app does, but, does it take into account encrypted talkgroups? If so, does it just not add them into the file or do they get blacklisted? I could be mistaken but I believe it is better to add an encrypted talkgroup into a blacklist rather than just the -nocrypt tag in the command line because the software will still stop on it, it will just not pass the audio
That is currently not being accounted for but it is on my list of issues to tackle.

boatbod

With boatbod op25, --nocrypt causes encrypted tgids to be temporarilyily blacklisted for 5 seconds to prevent immediate recurrence. Obviously it would be possible to make this permanent (at least until the blacklist file was re-read), but what if there is occasional encrypted activity on a normally unencrypted tgid?

bucket772

Feed Provider
With boatbod op25, --nocrypt causes encrypted tgids to be temporarilyily blacklisted for 5 seconds to prevent immediate recurrence. Obviously it would be possible to make this permanent (at least until the blacklist file was re-read), but what if there is occasional encrypted activity on a normally unencrypted tgid?
Makes sense. And thank you for explaining the nocrypt tag. I don’t have anything I can pick up locally that mixes encryption. All LE TG’s are full time and everything else is wide open. Maybe during import the E or e could be leveraged as a decision to import. I’ve used that on some other software

boatbod

Makes sense. And thank you for explaining the nocrypt tag. I don’t have anything I can pick up locally that mixes encryption. All LE TG’s are full time and everything else is wide open. Maybe during import the E or e could be leveraged as a decision to import. I’ve used that on some other software
Full-time encrypted tgids are usually the case, but cannot be assumed to be the rule. Personally I just manually blacklist those tgids since system changes are a rare occurrence in my corner of the world.

bucket772

Feed Provider
Full-time encrypted tgids are usually the case, but cannot be assumed to be the rule. Personally I just manually blacklist those tgids since system changes are a rare occurrence in my corner of the world.
Understandable. Same here. Not likely to change around here either. (Gloucester and Camden County NJ). Just looking for ideas for her to add to the project. I have all the LE TG's blacklisted for good.

AD8NT

Sarah Rose (Formerly KR0SIV)
Premium Subscriber
Here is an update of where I currently stand with the project.
We are using tsv files and rx.py for the time being but I do want to change this in the future after I fix some bugs