Orange County CCCS P25 Update

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Yes we received a submission from a member that TG 3170 was not encrypted and should be shown as D, not DE.

We've since received another submission that its indeed DE, and the Db has been updated again.

We work submissions as received, and in many cases do not have the capability to personally verify. We are largely at the mercy to the accuracy in what members submit.

Thanks for the support.

you would think there would be some way to build a cadre of people in areas who could check things like this out for you.

LA-OC_SCANNER

I would think it was a mistake somewhere in the process. everything is suppose to be verified by an admin.
Maybe gone partly encrypted if anything. We can dream can't we?
We can dream, but we would be dreaming for nothing lol. I contacted the OCSD PIO a couple weeks back with a few questions and he confirmed the Red channel will stay encrypted and not be switched back. Apparently, this is due to "upcoming requirements from the California Attorney General." He also shut down several other ideas such as media being able to lease radios (similar to Riverside Co.) or any sort of delayed transmission system for the public.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Chula Vista Police here in San Diego just flipped their encryption on full time...Lt I just spoke with said it was do to the "mandate" that any agency that transmits personal information over a radio system must be encrypted. Anyone have a reference to this "mandate" so I can forward it to my bosses? He made it sound as if they have no choice or say in the matter, that they MUST encrypt all communications.

Paul

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a reference to this "mandate" so I can forward it to my bosses? He made it sound as if they have no choice or say in the matter, that they MUST encrypt all communications.

Link to PDF here. It's a bulletin issued by the Information Services Division of the CA DOJ. They need to either encrypt, or change their practices so no PII is transmitted in the clear over the air. 12/31 is the deadline to either comply, or submit their action plan on how they will comply (they being each agency in CA that uses CLETS). It'll be even interesting considering CalFire ECC has NCIC/CLETS access for their prevention units. Will prevention units run plates and warrant info over the local law channels now instead of Local net?

A civil discussion has been happening over in this thread.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
I never thought for a moment red would ever go back in the clear.
If this is a mandate, wouldn't this mean CHP would also have to encrypt? They are always running plates and individuals over the air.

LA-OC_SCANNER

I never thought for a moment red would ever go back in the clear.
If this is a mandate, wouldn't this mean CHP would also have to encrypt? They are always running plates and individuals over the air.
CHP will not be encrypting, however, most of the plates and individuals will have to go through their MDT or another form of communication.

2wayfreq

I cant believe RED is now encrypted, that is really senseless. I mean, it's not like they are running 28/29 or reading out a CDL on RED. Its for Hot Calls and Pursuits etc. Unless surrounding agencies have the key, how are they going to monitor and assist?

LA-OC_SCANNER

I cant believe RED is now encrypted, that is really senseless. Unless surrounding agencies have the key, how are they going to monitor and assist?

CHP OC dispatch does have access to the Red channel. When there is a pursuit in OC, CHP typically broadcasts location updates on their frequency. Other than that, any communication to surrounding agencies would be done through control one calling another agencies dispatch. In the event OC has a pursuit that leaves the county, they can patch Red to OC Access (UHF or 800). They have done this in the past, most recently last year when Buena Park refused to hand off a pursuit and followed it all the way into the metro LA area.

shawn1899

most of the surrounding agency, counties helicopters also have red and other tgs such as orange in their radios also..

LA-OC_SCANNER

most of the surrounding agency, counties helicopters also have red and other tgs such as orange in their radios also..

Do you know what counties specifically do? Because I know that LA County does not, their air and ground units encounter communication issues every time, they cannot contact OC units without a patch.

shawn1899

Do you know what counties specifically do? Because I know that LA County does not, their air and ground units encounter communication issues every time, they cannot contact OC units without a patch.
I was specifically talking about la county helicopters.. they have radios in the helicopters specifically for OC..

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber

Long Beach PD air units, San Diego Sheriff ASTREA, Long Beach Fire specifically...

LA-OC_SCANNER

I was specifically talking about la county helicopters.. they have radios in the helicopters specifically for OC..
They have the OC Access frequencies, but last time I checked they do not have access to the trunked systems. There have been plenty of times they have issues communicating with OC because they cannot get ahold of their ground units directly through any channel

shawn1899

Long Beach PD air units, San Diego Sheriff ASTREA, Long Beach Fire specifically...
not sure about long beach... I do know back in the day signal Hill and Long beach had a few radios that had the OC trunked system limited tgs in some radios... I know the LA county sheriff helicopters have access to it... def not sure about San Diego... I always forget they are down there.. If all else fails control 1 answers right up on the access channels VHF,UHF and 800...

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
not sure about long beach... I do know back in the day signal Hill and Long beach had a few radios that had the OC trunked system limited tgs in some radios... I know the LA county sheriff helicopters have access to it... def not sure about San Diego... I always forget they are down there.. If all else fails control 1 answers right up on the access channels VHF,UHF and 800...

Long Beach confirmed.. each of their police helicopters has access. LASD got about 25 portables last year too. Forgot to add Signal Hill also still has access.

shawn1899

Also forgot to mention LA Sheriff also has a direct radio link to control one and CHP... the dispatchers literally hit a button on their console and bring up control 1 or CHP or both and can patch them in to any sheriff channel and same back to OC...

shawn1899

Guess the point of all this is its very easy for OC and LA county sheriff or agencies to communicate with OC even with the full encryption. There will always be access channels. With many LA County agencies going encryption also already or very soon there is the need for the access channels and radio links to communications centers. really the only county left in the region is LA County that hasn't gone full encryption, but again it's coming.... very soon to a theatre near you...

monitor142

Guess the point of all this is its very easy for OC and LA county sheriff or agencies to communicate with OC even with the full encryption. There will always be access channels. With many LA County agencies going encryption also already or very soon there is the need for the access channels and radio links to communications centers. really the only county left in the region is LA County that hasn't gone full encryption, but again it's coming.... very soon to a theatre near you...
Orange County has a UASI funded microwave link to LA County Sheriff's established. As noted, it's console to console and OC Control 1 (Master Control) can patch any talkgroup or conventional channel on their console to the LASD channel resource and then LASD can do the same for any resource on their console to have a patch in place. The consoles will do the encryption/decryption work across the link. Poor man's ISSI/CSSI : )

As far as mutual aid direct access, there are a lot of non-OC radios (PD and FD) programmed to access the OC P25 system. Long Beach has always been very proactive with having their dual/multi band radios programmed for OC trunking access. Signal Hill has most if not all of their APX portables programmed to access the trunking system. Others include CHP (some portables/aircraft), LASD, San Diego SD Astrea, all OC based law aircraft, Mercy Air (4?), etc.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Orange County has a UASI funded microwave link to LA County Sheriff's established. As noted, it's console to console and OC Control 1 (Master Control) can patch any talkgroup or conventional channel on their console to the LASD channel resource and then LASD can do the same for any resource on their console to have a patch in place. The consoles will do the encryption/decryption work across the link. Poor man's ISSI/CSSI : )

As far as mutual aid direct access, there are a lot of non-OC radios (PD and FD) programmed to access the OC P25 system. Long Beach has always been very proactive with having their dual/multi band radios programmed for OC trunking access. Signal Hill has most if not all of their APX portables programmed to access the trunking system. Others include CHP (some portables/aircraft), LASD, San Diego SD Astrea, all OC based law aircraft, Mercy Air (4?), etc.

But when a unit crosses the county border, how soon does their portable radio stop working? 5 feet? 10 feet? Does LA County have any receiver sites in Orange County? Does Orange County have any receiver sites in Los Angeles County? If not - how useful are the patches really?

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Something to consider here... take a typical cop who spends his/her entire day on one channel, maybe two, and ask them to tell you which interop channel they’d use in a cross-county pursuit. Then ask them to find it in their radio. Odd are, they don’t know. I would venture to say most dispatchers do not have a full understanding of the capabilities of their systems, and even less understanding of how neighboring systems work.
There are tons of interop channels, there are use agreements and key sharing between agencies, and patching is a button away, but if no one knows, it is all useless...