P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Apologies if I missed it but the ability to support ADP and AES encryption for those of us with keys would be amazing. We could set these up as auxiliary receivers and not have to spend thousands on radios that will never transmit.

btt

Banned
Banned
Apologies if I missed it but the ability to support ADP and AES encryption for those of us with keys would be amazing. We could set these up as auxiliary receivers and not have to spend thousands on radios that will never transmit.

Thank you for the idea. The short answer is that there is absolutely no support for decryption of P25 in the P25RX right now. This is something that I have not even considered at all up to this point. The MCU in the P25RX does not contain AES crypto in hardware, but there is a foot-print compatible version that does have AES-256/128 support in hardware. That would probably add $10 to final pricing. There may still be enough cycles left to do it in software, but I really can't say for sure at this point. The current P25RX firmware image is protected by AES-256, ( I already have the code for AES in there). I don't know anything about ADP other than a little bit I just read from a quick search. I also have not looked at the details of how encryption is implemented in P25. That doesn't mean the idea is completely out of the question for some kind of future work / collaboration.

btt

Banned
Banned
I realized this evening that I could just run AES256 decrypt in software (without really decrypting actual data) to see if the extra code execution overhead caused any issues with P25 decodes / audio. It doesn't. I didn't think it would, but good to know. I will look into what this would take to implement AES. I'll see what I can find on ADP, but I'm not sure what that will turn up.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Quick "out of box" experience report. And I mean quick.

Less than 5 minutes and mine is up and running. 5 minutes. It works. It decodes my system perfectly. Actually quite surprised, it sees my CC around -90dbm which is what my Kenwood VP6430 and APX6000 sees here. Using the supplied whip fully RETRACTED.

Thank to this device, I discovered that my system is running off it's alternate control channel. I checked my email log and just now the NOC indicates a power fail at my prime site. So...I have work to do. The P25RX "told me" before MSI's NOC did. I'll have time later to give a full report, just gonna let it run while I'm gone.

The audio on my Phase 1 talkgroups is as good as s subscriber. Listening to it on a Bose Wave Soundtouch in my shack. Pairing was easy and idiot proof. I'll check back later as I need to login to my zone watch/NM client to see WTF is going on with the system.

Mike_G_D

This looks really cool to me as well! I am seriously cash-strapped and have to be very careful about purchasing any more radio equipment. But I have an RF technical background and appreciate good RF hardware. Given the flexibility that I see with this system I think your price point is good. I am not Linux savvy and have been a little jealous of those who can easily run OP25 so I think this implementation with its integrated hardware would be a good choice for me. Up until seeing your product I was thinking that the Unication pager was my best choice and thinking of saving up for that. This device, though, especially if it successfully gets running for Phase 2 P25 really looks like a good alternative choice. I will be keeping an eye on this.

-Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Just ordered one. Can't wait. I'll play wiith it for a week and then give it to my sister and her family a county away so that they can monitor their simulcast.

Mike

Reactions: btt

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
@Mike_G_D The Unications are great and worth it. Finding the band you need might be tricky and you'll have to look around. I've had mine for over a month now. I can't wait for the newer firmware for more scanner function.

Learning Linux isn't hard; you don't have to know every single thing but knowing how setup for OP25 also is also worth it (only if RTL-SDR were better), it just takes time. I'm getting my receiver Monday and will look at it as soon as I get home from work.

If you can manage to get the P25RX before the 15th for the discount, do it. I think it'll be worth it.

Mike_G_D

@Mike_G_D The Unications are great and worth it. Finding the band you need might be tricky and you'll have to look around. I've had mine for over a month now. I can't wait for the newer firmware for more scanner function.

Learning Linux isn't hard; you don't have to know every single thing but knowing how setup for OP25 also is also worth it (only if RTL-SDR were better), it just takes time. I'm getting my receiver Monday and will look at it as soon as I get home from work.

If you can manage to get the P25RX before the 15th for the discount, do it. I think it'll be worth it.
Ok, thanks for this - I didn't notice the special promo price until after you mentioned it. That really makes it attractive! I got a similar deal on an AirSpy SDR a while back.

Probably will be a while before I can sink >$600 on a radio these days. I'd love a Unication but grocery and rent money just has to take priority. But easier to justify $200. Hmm.

Linux I've only dabbled in and that was a long time ago. Command line stuff was never my forte' also, regardless of OS. Have toyed with various distro's, Mint, Ubuntu, and a bunch of others I can't recall, but nothing serious.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
I've started a new page on the web site that will contain tips that aren't documented in the user-manual here:

The first tip is regarding the "auto-flash" option in the talk-group editor. This option is enabled by default and you may find it obnoxious in the beginning if you have a lot of talk groups. I thought it would be a good idea to get this out there before others started receiving their P25RX next week.

boy7777777777

Well.....I’m going to support BTT also. I’ve ordered one. I don’t have any simulcast close to me but I go places where there is. I really hope phase 2 gets supported also.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
This will be the "cat's butt" if you can add TDMA. I've got several TDMA only talkgroups on my system I'd love to monitor/log. I am really duly impressed with your product. I am truly appreciative of folks like you who are investing in doing something totally new, different and forward thinking. The hardware appears to be of very high quality, and I am sure you aren't making a ton of money off these. The client software is light enough I was able to install it on my old CF-29 MK4 which is a dual core machine with 6GB of RAM/Windows 10 (though I did replace the 5400 drive with an SSD, but still it's a 12 year old computer).

Guys and gals, the future of scanning are devices like this. and I'm okay with that. This thing is also an excellent EASY TO SETUP tool for those of us in the biz who just want to keep an ear on our system(s) without having to shell out another client license for network monitoring tools like Gen Watch 3 (don't get me wrong, they aren't in the same league- but anything with Genesis is a four or five figure deal). Love to hear if other folks experiences with the BluetTail is like mine.

btt

Banned
Banned
MTS2000des, Thank you for the kind words and sharing your experience so far. I'm really excited to hear it is working great for you! Only 1 other person has received theirs as of now (so far, they are having some issues. We are trying some adjustments to see if we can get it figured out). More shipments will be delivered starting tomorrow. I am really looking forward to hearing more reports as well. (hopefully good...).

Recently, the last unit in inventory was sold. Remaining shipments go out first thing tomorrow. I will be ordering components to assemble another run.

Mike_G_D

I just went to purchase and see it is out of stock. I'd like to use the promo code to get the reduced price but I can't seem to order. Is there a way to do this or do I have to wait and miss the promo (ends tomorrow)?

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
I just went to purchase and see it is out of stock. I'd like to use the promo code to get the reduced price but I can't seem to order. Is there a way to do this or do I have to wait and miss the promo (ends tomorrow)?

Mike, since I did not specify 'ends on 6/15 or until out-of-stock', I will extend the promo pricing at least a couple more days once they are back in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.