Pager Decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again,

I have been reading up on some of the pager decoding stuff. Im still new to the idea of it but I do understand its for the alpha numeric pagers not like fire pagers ect. From my research PACSOG is very common in the UK. But what about iowa? How common would it be to be able to decode a pager signal? Is it worth the time to invest in trying to set it up? Who commonly carries these pagers??

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
POCSAG & FLEX paging is alive and well here in the U.S. however the decoding of commercial and personal pagers is illegal. It is legal however to decode GOLAY which is the amateur radio version of POCSAG. In either case all that is needed is a receiver with a discriminator tap and software designed to decode the protocol.

Thanks Bryan for the quick reply. I have no desire to decode civilian pagers, the civilian world is just so boring. However I am interested in the PD, FD, and EMS pagers. I would also be interested in the hospital pagers (if they are not considered commercial.) I have read online people having success with just an audio cable into the audio input on a computer so is the discriminator tap necessary? Also i have no idea where to start, how do you even figure out what frequencies are needed?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Thanks Bryan for the quick reply. I have no desire to decode civilian pagers, the civilian world is just so boring. However I am interested in the PD, FD, and EMS pagers. I would also be interested in the hospital pagers (if they are not considered commercial.) I have read online people having success with just an audio cable into the audio input on a computer so is the discriminator tap necessary? Also i have no idea where to start, how do you even figure out what frequencies are needed?

Yes, those are illegal also

Status
Not open for further replies.