TRX-2: Paging Intermod

Status
Not open for further replies.

CQ

My new TRX-2 has awful paging intermod on the Ham 2m and 150Mhz band. I've never had this issue with my receivers, other scanners, SDR and even Ham gear. They're all sitting in the same area.

Anyone else suffering this issue?

hypersight

Yup. I got it too. My TRX2 is horrible for that. Our ambulance services in my area which is analog 140 MHz, gets wiped out by ACARS and ATC voice when I'm within a few KMs of the airport. In fact the airband comes in much louder than the ambulance transmissions so much, that I have no idea what is being said. And I'm not even using a gain antenna..... just a 1/4 wave for 2 meters on my car. ATT has no effect either.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
GRE based scanners - I'm willing to bet that the newer Whistlers are based off them - have had this issue for a long time. Mike

CQ

Figures

I knew I wasn't the only one even though their support mentioned they "never" heard of it. They've been dragging their feet with samples I submitted.

I suggest everyone with the issue let them know. I have until the end of next month to return my unit to the retailer. I could keep sending them back as defective and hopefully Whistler will get the hint as they pile up.

CQ

Woops No Keypad

GRE based scanners - I'm willing to bet that the newer Whistlers are based off them - have had this issue for a long time. Mike

Yeah, gloried 1095s. Trying to be apple and dictating, who needs numeric keypads?

Probably the reason they made detachable faces...Look, NEW scanner! but same body. (we just added copy and paste)

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
My new TRX-2 has awful paging intermod on the Ham 2m and 150Mhz band. I've never had this issue with my receivers, other scanners, SDR and even Ham gear. They're all sitting in the same area.

Anyone else suffering this issue?

With strong enough pager signals, even my ICOM R-9500 will have intermod. I always use a notch filter for the main offender. Note that often intermod involves several stations and notching any one of those will be enough. Always notch the FM broadcast band, even if you do not think it is a problem, unless you intend to tune that.

Another thing to remember that local loose metal can cause intermod (particular metal on tower sites)--sometimes it is not the receivers fault. I once saw a situation where the signal from one transmitter got into the antenna of another signal (both miles from my house), and generated intermod there that I could receive by tuning the sum of the frequencies. One of the stations confirmed to me after I tracked it to them that they knew their transmitter was generating the intermod from its frequency plus that of the other station being received by the transmit antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.