Paint for antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcraig114

Hey folks. Got an A99 today and the Mrs thinks I need to paint it black to avoid Karen. Any suggestions on paint? I’ve heard that some spray paints may ruin the antenna so didn’t want to grab just any random can from Home Depot.

Robert

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
There are multiple threads here on RR discussing this. A Search of RR for "paint antenna" turned up these two with advice.... there are many more -

rcraig114

It may not be a good idea after all. I wonder, if I just take black electrical tape and wrap the white fiberglass sections of that’ll do the job. I need the masts black, so either non metallic paint or maybe my electrical tape idea.

Robert

WB9YBM

Hey folks. Got an A99 today and the Mrs thinks I need to paint it black to avoid Karen. Any suggestions on paint? I’ve heard that some spray paints may ruin the antenna so didn’t want to grab just any random can from Home Depot.

First I'd wash it down with something like window glass cleaner (don't use rubbing alcohol--it leaves a residue), and let it dry. Also some paints last longer if an undercoat is used; if the antenna is aluminum, that requires a special undercoat that might be a special order, depending on your source for paint. Avoid paints with metal in them. I've had good results with Rustoleum, but car paint might be another option since it's intended for outdoors & all kinds of weather.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Make sure your paint does not contain any metallic substances. Don't use lacquer, it's too brittle when the antenna flexes. Rust-Oleum makes some plastic paint, but I don't know how well weathers. It should be pretty good as it's intended for painting lawn furniture so it should me somewhat flexible. Maybe read up on it or call them.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
That will use quite a bit of tape. I used spray paint and I am pleased with the results. I considered a black paint, but that too would stand out against the sky too much. I use Rust-oleum gloss "Winter Gray" and satin "Granite". The initial coating is with Winter Gray, then a follow-up with a very light touch of the Granite as it is darker and works to reduce the gloss of the Winter Gray. (A satin Winter Gray would be perfect if they made it) These colors really knock the visibility down against the sky, versus the white antenna. I also used this on the masts for continuity and to knock down the glare.

Status
Not open for further replies.