Phase 2 HomePatrol style scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I am curious whether Uniden has entertained the idea of a phase 2 capable scanner in the design of the original HomePatrol. Eventually, my state (PA) is supposed to phase out the failed system that is OpenSky in favor of a P25 system (probably phase 2).

Although people either love the original HomePatrol design or hate it, I think it certainly has a place in the market. For those of us with vehicles without radio consoles or space to mount something as big as the 536, the smaller (what I call large GPS-sized) radio is great.

I'm curious as to what others think...maybe even Paul.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
As usual I am sure Paul/UPMan can't chime in for a number of reasons but I would welcome a Phase II TDMA scanner based off the HomePatrol HP-1 design. Something compact that I could take with me everywhere.
Only time will tell what Uniden decides to do!
Marshall KE4ZNR

I am curious whether Uniden has entertained the idea of a phase 2 capable scanner in the design of the original HomePatrol. Eventually, my state (PA) is supposed to phase out the failed system that is OpenSky in favor of a P25 system (probably phase 2).

Although people either love the original HomePatrol design or hate it, I think it certainly has a place in the market. For those of us with vehicles without radio consoles or space to mount something as big as the 536, the smaller (what I call large GPS-sized) radio is great.

I'm curious as to what others think...maybe even Paul.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I wouldn't mind an updated HP without the batteries, annoying audio jacks (so I don't need an amplified speaker in the car) and improved antenna placement. That form factor makes more sense for today's cars, plus it sits nice on my night stand.

sfd119

I wish you could dim the screen quite a bit more with the HP. Still a little bright at night for the nightstand operation.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I agree, 1 more notch down on both x36's would be nice (and HP1). I used to change the display color to red on my 396xt, that along with the lowest dim was just right.

sfd119

Yeah, I have a 996T on the lowest dim orange and that works out pretty well at night but the HP-1 just was too bright.

dmg1969

Yeah Marshall...I know Paul can't comment on it. Not sure why I even said that. Just kind of wanted to let him and the other powers that be at Uniden that there is still a market for the HP-1 styled scanner. The size and interface were the reasons I bought the HP-1 over the 436 or 536. I think that, despite what some people disliked about the HP-1, the size was not really a factor or they would not have purchased it in the first place.

If you don't mind, I'd like to keep the topic of my thread on the possibility of a future HP-1 styled scanner and not about the brightness of the display. You can created your own thread for that. Thanks.

dmg1969

I agree with a few of those points. I could do without the batteries. Maybe just a little door for the SD card. The antenna placement I'm OK with. I also do not currently have use for an external speaker jhack...not to say I wouldn't in the future. Yes, the form factor makes absolute sense where space is becoming a premium in today's cars. They're not the hulking beasts they used to be.

QUOTE=nosoup4u;2214196]I wouldn't mind an updated HP without the batteries, annoying audio jacks (so I don't need an amplified speaker in the car) and improved antenna placement. That form factor makes more sense for today's cars, plus it sits nice on my night stand.[/QUOTE]

sfd119

If you don't mind, I'd like to keep the topic of my thread on the possibility of a future HP-1 styled scanner and not about the brightness of the display. You can created your own thread for that. Thanks.

...I was simply putting in my request for a better screen brightness / dimness settings in a Future HP-1 scanner.

dmg1969

...I was simply putting in my request for a better screen brightness / dimness settings in a Future HP-1 scanner.

My apologies...I see what you were doing there. I mis-read it. My bad.

I have never really played around with the brightness level. I think it is as it came out of the box.

mark432k

KC0LRU
The batteries are my favorite feature on the HP for two reasons 1) You can use it as a handheld which makes it very versatile and 2) Makes for a great backup during power failures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dmg1969

Agreed. For me...I don't use mine as a portable. I have a 125AT that I would use in the event of an outage. But for people without a handheld, it is a valid point.

Status
Not open for further replies.